Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Reply #1185 on: April 13, 2018, 04:14:05 AM »
saving up my orbs for the surprise hero fest banner during golden week probs. I predict that one to be ridiculously good, if the other hero fests are anything to go by.
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 13, 2018, 05:54:38 AM »
saving up my orbs for the surprise hero fest banner during golden week probs. I predict that one to be ridiculously good, if the other hero fests are anything to go by.

The recent Rarity Change plus the usual boosted 5 star pull rate should equal good times this year (unless you're looking for Hinatas, Caedas, Draugs, Gwendolyns, Jagens or Gunters).

Meanwhile, the more I think upon it, the less I like the idea behind Grand Conquest. As fun as a mode to compete against other players is, making it time based, and pressing the available hours so close together, seems like it can become a real problem, especially if during those hours you have to work without Wi-Fi or device access. Plus, this whole thing reeks of Whale Bait much like Tier 20 Arena and AA does, especially in consideration to all the rewards available to those who score into the highest ranks.

Edit: Yeah. Its not exactly a fun mode when your team is the one the others agree upon to annihilate first (I'm in Outhouse 1209 for reference; seems like a whole lot of Annas are getting purged). I've made it to CG rank 11, but I doubt the team will last long enough for me to get much further. It doesn't help that I can barely fight on Lunatic Mode while even my friendlist is full of samey unmerged/neutral Bowlyns, Brave Roys and Dancers offering me no real help in filling in any power gaps. Seriously, getting to rank 20 is a huge difference between what you can contribute compared to even rank 15 since you're offering side areas up to half of your score apiece. Just burn an entire Stamina Crest, take on Infernal, and suddenly inflict 350k+ in one fell swoop.

That said, I did recently take a pivotal step towards absolute power. Now I'M playing with a 5 star Reinhardt with perfect IVs (I just need to train him up to the point where he can learn Dire Thunder plus Deathblows 2 & 3 and maybe promote a few other 4 stars to merge with). Something I'd be doing right the fuck now, but I'm currently mired in this GCN.

Double Edit: You know, it was really nice of the 2.4.0 update to secretly reset Smart End back to "ON" (since its now two options instead of one). Nothing like robbing oneself of a major victory because your touchscreen is a finicky piece of dogshit (especially in a mode where precision tapping is a necessity).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:31:45 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 14, 2018, 05:32:08 AM »
Personally I'm really enjoying Grand Conquest so far. You "only" need to go play once every 8 hours if you want to use all your stamina, and unlike VG you can burn all your stamina at once instead of needing to play every time an hour ticks. Of course strategically saving lances for later in the match and spending appropriate amounts of stamina is the "right" way to play, and it might end up having that annoying back-end burning like Tempest Trials ranking has, but I think it's relatively casual-play friendly.

Of course, just like VG, the big problem is that there's really no way to organize your team. I'm on Team Sharena in Outrealm 24 and we were losing early on in the match, but as of this post we currently own 20 areas. That could easily change though. Thankfully the ranking awards are pretty small so at least losing in this mode doesn't hurt that much, and increasing your VG Tier is only moderately challenging- I'm Tier 17, though I've spent most of my lances, but there'e still 10 rounds left so I don't think I'll have any trouble hitting the cap. I am playing only Infernal, but I've successfully beaten all of one base so far- most of the time I only secure one enemy fort, if that.

As for the maps themselves, the larger maps of Rival Domains was quickly becoming one of the best parts of the game for me, so expanding on that idea to face off against the entire barracks of other players is a lot of fun. It encourages you to have a healthy balanced barracks of different unit types so you can capitalize on bonus areas, instead of just slapping together whatever 20-man band of broken guys you have. (so that Reinhardt you're working on will help, but he's no silver bullet in this mode). And unlike Arena you won't feel like tearing your hair out from ruining your score via losing a single unit. So far the most memorable match I had was against some guy who has a Close Counter Vantage Lilina- I didn't note the build until after I had sent Jaffar out doing massive AoE damage and that Lilina proceeded to be impossible to attack into. On that note, Savage Blow build units are really good in this mode, whether they be Pain Staffbots or Jaffar.

If you don't need me offering up Reinhardt anymore though, let me know what you'd like instead. Don't think I have much unique to give though.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 15, 2018, 01:42:15 AM »
Nah. The Reinhardt is less of a silver bullet for me and more of me finally catching up to one of the old metas (hell, I've got a Male Grima, both an Air and Axzura, an even a Bunny Kagero with a merge on her). The problem is that I've only recently have been collecting all of these swell units and now I don't have the time to train up any of them and so these GBNs happen and now I'm facing them with a handful of solid units among a mass of subpar performers in a mess of a makeshift Brigade, and thus I find myself bowing out of this battle at only rank 17 due to the continuous loss of points and the lack of any sort of major victory past Hard difficulty.

And yeah, if you end up on a board with teams full of whales, that's what you'll face on anything above Hard, and then the whole thing turns into a glorified AA, except it takes even longer to suffer through.

At least the team turned it around and have scored well enough in the last round to be poised for an endgame push for some sweet victory loot. Team got totally clowned in the final hour and ended at 7 territories. I just wish I weren't leaving 2 Orbs and 4 Poprocks on the table (plus, with a little luck, this mode might distract enough of those Whales away from AA and allow me to finally score in the 10k~20k bracket). Lol at Round 2 carrying over your Tier Progress. Fucking hell, man. That would've been good information to know ahead of time. Also, that pretty much dooms the mode into a 'poke each other for 20 Rounds then dump everything on the final 2 Rounds' affair.

Edit: I really don't think this mode needs to have more than one 'round' per event. It's kinda not fun if you end up in a bad position and 4 days of that crap is too much.

Double Edit: Because I really don't feel that this is worth a full post.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:25:41 AM by Aeolus »

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 15, 2018, 03:53:18 AM »
Anna in my region ended only with 2 territories... ouch. Sharena (me) and Alfonse is pretty close.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 17, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
R2 is over and done with. At least the team I was on paid attention and utterly cleaned house with 19 territories at the closing bell. Still think this mode has some serious issues to iron out though (for instance, there shouldn't be three of these things held consecutively, period; nevermind the issue with there only being 13 Lance Crests per event, or that the map doesn't always weigh fairly, or that 18/22 rounds of a given match are basically irrelevant, or the shoddy AI making Hard Mode autobattle a dicey proposition, and so on....).

Edit: Meanwhile, Cammoo's Infernal is a joke with Flier Emblem. Just buff Usagero and Gerome and make use of that mountain range on the side. And on a similar note, so too was Squad Assault 5. Powercreep is a hell of a drug.

Double Edit: And that's Saias done too, thanks to my new and improved Flier Emblem.

Is it Spring Yet!? Edit: Pulled Spring Catria. +Def/-Res which sucks, but I'll live since it didn't affect her primary stats (and she's not Ploying anybody anyways so she just has defensive stats that are balanced in their shittiness). Was kinda hoping for either of the Askr Bunnies (especially Alfonse since he's the first non-Jagen/Olfey archetype Axe Cav currently available), but I've already acquired Ninjabbit both with good traits and a +1 Merge, which was the real prize. More importantly is that I'm now done with Spring II Festival and the old drawpool distribution. Also decided to advance my Project Selena a bit by promoting her to 5 stars (of course she's +Atk and -HP), she's got surprising bulk + Spd and Forges can level the playing field in terms of her shit Atk (too bad she can't inherit a Nameless Blade).

Sleep Eazy Edit: Welp. I went to sleep an hour before the end of the GCN with the team I was on having 12 territories with about a dozen or so on the line, and when I awoke for work this morning, my team scored the maximum possible reward for having 20 areas. Holy fucking hell! Nevermind the screwed up action economy or the dire lack of motivation to do more than pop in every couple of hours to drop a Hard Autobattle Nuke. Just the team you're randomly assigned to at the start is pretty much the only deciding factor (granted, I don't think there will be as many clean victories in the future, but seriously, the stronger/more active at the last hour base, straight up wins every time).

On the one hand, at least I don't have to be a whale to cash in on this mode, much like VGs. On the other, even VGs allow you to pick your team, giving you at least some kind of measure of control (despite multiplier bullshit basically making the choice a total crap shoot).

T_T+ Edit: I'm liking the changes so far. Just one Lunatic 7 run got me all the way up to Finn (4 star edition), and the fact that everyone gets a boost means that support units like Olivia can contribute while I get my Reinhardt and Seliph up to speed. Sadly, the maps themselves are kinda annoying to autobattle through, though special mention goes to the second to last map as its the second time a T_T End Map has been recycled (and the first for a T_T). The Seals this time are Seal Spd, Fortress Def and Drive Atk. Also, the 'Try This' recommendation 'feature' remains exactly as useful as in GCN.

Xander Cruz Edit: Managed to finally triumph over Xander Infernal via Horse Emblem, though it took a whole mess of experimentation to assemble the appropriate team and to figure out placement. Say what you will about Alts, but Alt Eirika basically carried the day by dropping the Sword Inf, and tanking both Green tomes with 1 HP to spare. Once I had Reinhardt and Nu Eirika drop Xander, I had Cecilia face tank both the Staffbot and the Lance Inf for the win. As I've been slowly but surely cleaning up the Elite GHeB II matches with my current Blessing Teams (one more week, and I'll have all but Berkut with a Water team and Valter with a Fire team), I'll soon be done with the Elite GHeBs entirely (until Elite GHeB Bros. 3 comes out in about 3 months).

That said, this most recent Banner is actually rather evil since its so close to two new unit Banners, a Legendary Banner, plus whatever the hell Golden Week will drop on us (and considering that both Olwens and Usagero's tits are also up for grabs, it got ridiculously fanservicey up in this game; if it weren't for the fact that I'm looking for a Fire Legendary, I'd be hella tempted to pull now).

:V Edit: New banner preview is up and its more Fates kids with Female Kana, actual Flier Shigure and a Hinoka Alt....at least we're finally getting a Kinshi Knight, and hey, Luinja (Ningi?) spotted, also the next GHeB will be for Male Kana....is it too late to pull for one more bunny? (Or rather for a Thracia waifu instead. Olwen II Get! +Atk/-Def, +Spd's more preferable but so too is even more overkill.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:45:07 PM by Aeolus »

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 24, 2018, 04:42:44 AM »
Grand Conquests ended up putting me on a crappy team for Round 2 and a pretty good one for Round 3. Much like Voting Gauntlet, the right way of playing is to barely play at all and just use it as free feathers. I still say it's much better than VG though since you aren't expected to play at ridiculous hours to get your personal ranking and the battles are a lot more fun because they let you use a bunch of units you've built instead of the handful of them you were babying for Arena runs on top of the ones from your Friend List.

Anyway more alts instead of new characters. Admittedly I do like the art for this Hinoka though, very fitting of her personality. Tempting as it is to try for her or one of the shiny new skills on the banner, I'll be waiting for whatever the new Legendary ends up being (and a second attempt at getting Ephraim). At least we'll probably be getting Kaze for free, and apparently they decided that Kagami Mochi needed a generic version after all instead of being event-locked. RIP anyone who sacrificed a New Year's Takumi for his overcooked dessert, though I guess we'll only be getting like 2 copies of Kaze so that balances out. I'm also guessing Corrin will be a bonus unit on the next Tempest so we'll probably be getting that Yato Refine pretty soon. We'll see if Corrine gets a unique breath to go with that too.

There was a theory that the new Legendaries coincide with whatever new heroes were most recently introduced, with Ike coming off the Radiant Dawn Banner, Ephraim off that second Sacred Stones banner, and Robin alongside...well, it was a villains banner instead of an Awakening banner, but it still kinda fits. Alongside that recent addition of colored bows I think the prediction that it's going to be a Green Bow Takumi is decently likely (so no Legendary Thracia hero for another 5 years or whatever unfortunately). It's an opportunity to give him a non-crappy version of Fujin Yumi too. Wonder if they'll make him Wind though, since that'd make him kinda redundant with Gunnthra.

As for the current T_T, I'm afk-playing for tons of HM as usual. I have a ton of bonus units and they're all stupidly broken (except for Seliph, who is still a chump). I know some people aren't doing that anymore because you can use that free Legendary Ike to autobattle a bunch of the GHBs for no stamina cost, but personally I think I still prefer doing it on Tempest since it autobattles on its own way longer due to the consecutive stages. Besides, I still have that giant stockpile of Stamina Potions and with that aforementioned change to GHB costs there's nothing else left to use them for.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 24, 2018, 07:00:00 AM »
Nanna was indeed the only one of the Thracia banner to demote to the Uncommon rarity (which brings the grand total of current Uncommons up to six), and it amuses me that there are only 5 5 star Axe units right now (Minerva, Hector, Dorcas, Amelia and Brave Ike).

At least the non-Seasonal Alts have been trying to stay within the realm of being believable alternatives from their source material (Nu Eirika is probably the most extreme edge case so far, but not totally beyond the realm of possibility due to her, and her brother, lacking an alternate promotion to begin with compared to every other promoting character getting one or two; even if the in-game mechanics didn't necessarily support going from Physical to Magical combat, beyond glitches), and hell, Hinoka does deserve the added love since she was pretty badly screwed over in Fates compared to the other Royals.

As for Kaze, my running theory is that rather than another T_T+ in another two weeks, he's the next upcoming Legendary (which is monumentally stupid because he was by far the worst of the three Ninja in Fates, which says a lot considering his massive availability; that A rank or die bullshit was so fucking stupid). Either that, or he's a freebie for Golden Week shenanigans (or better still, he'll be one of the Three Heroes; so you'll get a 3 star version of him just by KOing someone, then you'll have to grind him like a motherfucker to clear his two other related quests as well as getting copies of the other two Heroes).

The one nice thing about the current T_T+ is that a boosted 5 star Reinhardt can easily run roughshod over Lunatic 7 with little trouble, especially with Dancer support (although I've been noticing lately that Olwen II is even more ridiculous since who the hell can take 60+ damage to the face?; plus she dismantles Reinhardt easily enough on the final map).

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 24, 2018, 07:00:24 AM »
Male Kana is god tier fodder. Brazen def/res is probably the best defensive A skill in the game that isn't steady/warding breath and he has fortify dragons at 4 stars which is nutty. He's also basically another nowi, but limited in merges which hampers his potential a lot. Will probably fodder him once I get him.

The new banner is nice too, and Hinoka is basically a flying brave lyn with armor effective damage (probably better than b!lyn too due to flying being way better than cavalry on most arena maps, and desperation).

I kinda hope the new legendary is a green bow Alm lol.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 25, 2018, 06:31:56 PM »
Welp. The HoT ReBHeB didn't last five minutes, I've reached 50k in the T_T+, and I've rounded up all the quests associated with Legion and Female Robin, so for the first time since November, I'm out of things to do beyond SA/CC/AA grinding and maybe trying for a higher Feather tier for this T_T+.

At least tomorrow will have the third 'Tappa! Tappa! Tappa!'. :V Hopefully Golden Week has something good planned, because I could stand to do something more productive other than wait for Blessed Gardens and Radiant Dawns or work towards my fourth HP+3 seal (it'd be nice if they could preview who the next Three Heroes quest will be about since I could use the time to get ahead of that grind).

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 26, 2018, 12:24:35 AM »
If the datatmines are anything to go by, golden week looks to be just a series of quests. Unless they pull an Ayra with a Hero fest banner, everything's looking pretty clear till legendary heroes.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 26, 2018, 05:25:08 AM »
So 'Tappa! Tappa! Tappa!'s back up and I lol at Stage 1~5 Normal having only 7 enemies again....or I would if the daily quests themselves weren't making more specific requests like needing to beat Hector on Normal (instead of just beating a boss) or clearing stages 21~25 on Normal. Can't wait for when these quests start working their way up to Hard Mode clears (especially on my cheap ass phone with its crappy touchscreen).

If the datatmines are anything to go by, golden week looks to be just a series of quests. Unless they pull an Ayra with a Hero fest banner, everything's looking pretty clear till legendary heroes.

Golden Week being lame outside of Japan doesn't surprise me in the least. At least it means that I can focus on the other grinds.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 26, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
Unless they start having quests asking for S-ranks, clearing the quests shouldn't be too big of an issue IMO, even with a bad phone. Just tap like you're crazy and you'll come out the other end with a crappy rank but a clear nonetheless. And personally I hope they don't go too far with these quests, because I play this game for light fire emblem action and a side of paying your month's salary for your waifu and not Dubstep: Off-tempo edition.

As for datamines, I do know that there's something looking suspiciously like a enemy phase music disable, which is nice (unless they screw it up and now it just resets the same song every time phase changes). Now they need to expand the options for when animations happen in terms of fluff options and I think we're good to go. In terms of actual gameplay QoL changes though, I really want them to add more team slots (and I guess have them be optional like how the Pokemon boxes work in those games), because the more Legendary Heroes they add, the more teams built around them people want to make, and 8 teams isn't going to be holding your 2 Arena teams (Offense/Defense), your Legendary teams, and your Emblem teams for those monthly quests and a free roll slot for leveling up whatever you're working on.

That aside, I think the thing I'm looking forward to for now aside from all the banners lined up is that we should be getting an announcement any day now for shiny new Weapon Refinery options (assuming we're getting some this patch anyway). Yato is a likely candidate naturally, and if they want to keep the Fates theme going, they can come up with new weapons for Corrine and Camilla. Jakob could probably use one because he really has no niche, and if they want to mix things up, maybe it's time to give us some Prf Staves and put one on Elise and Sakura (Elise doesn't really need it, but hey, symmetry).

They should also give one to Odin because he really deserves one, and they could probably put Close Counter, Blade Damage, Heavy Blade and Breath Damage all on the same weapon and he'd still be bad.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 27, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
Unless they start having quests asking for S-ranks, clearing the quests shouldn't be too big of an issue IMO, even with a bad phone. Just tap like you're crazy and you'll come out the other end with a crappy rank but a clear nonetheless. And personally I hope they don't go too far with these quests, because I play this game for light fire emblem action and a side of paying your month's salary for your waifu and not Dubstep: Off-tempo edition.

As for datamines, I do know that there's something looking suspiciously like a enemy phase music disable, which is nice (unless they screw it up and now it just resets the same song every time phase changes). Now they need to expand the options for when animations happen in terms of fluff options and I think we're good to go. In terms of actual gameplay QoL changes though, I really want them to add more team slots (and I guess have them be optional like how the Pokemon boxes work in those games), because the more Legendary Heroes they add, the more teams built around them people want to make, and 8 teams isn't going to be holding your 2 Arena teams (Offense/Defense), your Legendary teams, and your Emblem teams for those monthly quests and a free roll slot for leveling up whatever you're working on.

That aside, I think the thing I'm looking forward to for now aside from all the banners lined up is that we should be getting an announcement any day now for shiny new Weapon Refinery options (assuming we're getting some this patch anyway). Yato is a likely candidate naturally, and if they want to keep the Fates theme going, they can come up with new weapons for Corrine and Camilla. Jakob could probably use one because he really has no niche, and if they want to mix things up, maybe it's time to give us some Prf Staves and put one on Elise and Sakura (Elise doesn't really need it, but hey, symmetry).

They should also give one to Odin because he really deserves one, and they could probably put Close Counter, Blade Damage, Heavy Blade and Breath Damage all on the same weapon and he'd still be bad.

I'm expecting them to give us Owain instead and have him be straight up better than even Ayra (even though Larcei will still powercreep the both of them).

As for QoL Setting Options, I've also heard tell about the Enemy Phase Music disable which is great, especially during T_T+s and GCNs, but right now you can also disable Map Animations (no more bumping uglies) to further speed up Autobattles.

And yeah, more teams since Dragon Emblem is now a thing, as are Blessing Teams, and Tactics skills are now promoting Mixed Teams, and maybe getting a vanity team or two would be nice (like a Waifu Emblem or a Lyn/Lucina/Chrom Emblem team).

And on that note, lololol, have our second Bowlyn (Green Infantry Division). At least the rest of the Legendary Banner has some decent picks with the remaining two Dancers (Shigure and Inigo) and Halloweens (Henry and Jakob) with Legendary Ephraim, Ike and FGrima being the remaining three Legendaries and Micaiah, Evil Swordlica, Nu Eirika and the Orange Fluffy Sheep.

Naturally, I already have all four draw pool residents, none of the seasonals and only the Freebie Ike from the Legendary pool. So Red's right out but the other colors are relevant to my interests (especially Blue for a Fire Legendary godsdammit).

Also, I don't recall if I predicted it here (actually I think I predicted Legendary Kaze as a troll option IIRC), but really ever since Ike set the precedent, with Ephraim reinforcement, I figured it was only a matter of time before Wind Lyn (I was kinda hoping for a Sword Lyn to replace her ancient launch Sord Lord, but this is slightly less redundant).

The rest of Golden Week is basically the second GCN with fewer differences in controlled territory rewards, more GC tiers, and added quests for more Lances (also 3 star and 4 star Kaze as a reward, which is the best goddamn news as a new source of roster additions is always welcome), and some other basic stuff that we already knew about or expected to show up (Three Heroes, Golden Week maps, extended 2x Exp & SP gains).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 27, 2018, 02:48:48 AM »
No... not another Lyn alt... Atleast wait atleast 6+ months before introducing a new one, IntSys...

I wanted Alm. Or Marth, he deserves it. Heck, Eliwood would have been more fair. (And pure fanservice for me would have been a green bow Kinshi Knight Takumi.)

She does look like a good unit though. She'll have good synergy with some of the people on my current Wind team (if I manage to get one).

Anyway, my current haves list for the upcoming Legendary Banner:

Red: 2/3
Green: 1/3
Colourless: 3/3
Blue: 0/3

Not ideal, so I'll probably throw ~50 orbs at green and blue, and call it a day.