Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Reply #1305 on: August 21, 2018, 02:02:05 AM »
Death Blow 4 was the absolute worst thing to come out of the announcement and really sours the whole thing, but of course the video downvoting brigade didn't do their thing here because complaining about the wrong waifu getting another alt is a bigger deal. If it was just a personal skill it wouldn't be such a big deal but it's clearly inheritable. The kind-of silver lining is that none of them have boosted BST (or rather, even boosted-er BST, they have what's basically the standard BST now).

Anyway onto the units themselves- art-wise, my favorite is definitely Celica. Really digging the use of her retro design combined with Hidari's artwork. Nice to have a sword-wielding Celica that isn't ax-crazy too. She's probably going to be competitive with Ayra/Mia/Karla given that she can quad with that B skill and her sword speeds her specials, but ultimately she's yet another fast sword and there's not much she can do to stand out.

Ephraim and Hector both continue on the armor power creeping bullshit as well as pull a tome Eirika by screwing more suitable characters out of being the first to wield a weapon. I mean, it's nice that Ephraim and Hector are a different color this time but I really think they should've just made up weapons ala Geirskogul. The design isn't even really consistent because Ephraim is wearing Fado's clothes with Garm (wearing Lyon's clothes would've been a bit closer at least) and Hector is wearing Uther's clothes with...a weapon from the nation one of his potential wives is from? Seriously, why isn't it Rex Hasta...or if they wanted to meme, they could make it Vaida's glitched super spear. Or just make "Fado's Axe"/"Uther's Lance" and be done with it. Skill-wise actually I don't mind Super DC that much because it's a personal skill- not really that far off from Dragonskin anyway. Adding yet another armor Fighter skill on Ephraim is insane, but since most units can't magically double automatically Bold Fighter is probably still better. It does look like a nice alternative for the fast armor units like BK, Draug and Amelia though, especially the latter two because it's a balance of both offensive and defensive and you're probably running Aether on them.

Veronica is...pretty good, but nothing amazing IMO. I mean she's definitely destined to be the top healer of the game with both a pony and 36 speed, but her set actually doesn't stand out to me because it's ultimately the same razzle dazzle combination that's optimal on all healers. Windfire Balm is pretty crazy since it's Hone Everything no matter where your units are on the map, if you inherit Restore from Nanna onto her she can remove Panic while she's at it too.

Unlike last year I don't think any one of them particularly stands out to completely snap the meta in two like Brave Lyn did (the two armors are stupidly powerful but after Bold Fighter there's little they can do to make them even more bullshit), but I'd say Ephraim is probably your best choice for your free draw if you were just looking for the best balance of good standalone unit/potential fodder if you draw duplicates. Celica's probably the least bang for your buck on the free pick, but given that I might just skip this banner to save my orbs I might choose her anyway because I really love her design.

Also as for what I've actually been doing- finished Sothe/Micaiah with Nino Cheese Strats of course (seriously I think I've had maybe 2 maps in the span of the game I couldn't clear with her, bladetome too OP).

Got all the score rewards in +_+ but I'll probably burn some stamina potions for a ranking prize again. Not sure if I'm insane enough to go for top 1k again though, the score for that the last few times was somewhere in the 300k range and reaching that even with autobattling is amazingly tedious. I also promoted Sakura to use on my +_+ team a bit to honor that ultimate Sakura waifuguy. Also she was one of the only healers I had who wasn't capped on HM. Having a Physic+ healer around is actually a nice option though. After she capped HM I promoted Lucius, and he's pretty goddamn amazing actually. His SPD a bit average but his nice ATK and sky-high RES actually makes him really good at fighting other mages (his native Martyr+ works well with that too). If I get around to merging an infantry healer it'll probably be him.

My follow-up for the plan to promote a blue flier of some kind ended with me choosing the Dark Horse option- I promoted Valter and he's supported with F Grima of course. He's still using mostly his base kit though, not entirely sure how to build the guy yet. Decided I'd build a flier team around F Grima instead of a Dragon Team because the latter just seems to be a novelty at this point. Dragon-killing weapons are probably the hardest effective weapon to play around using the respective emblem team because the only way to completely avoid getting an effective hit would be to run Windsweep Corrin F or something.

Patch Live Edit: I decided I'd try to get one Brave Hero from the banner before picking my free one. 120 Orbs later, I have walked away with a 5* Soleil (-ATK +SPD), 5* Katarina (+ATK -HP) and 5* L'Arachel (+DEF -ATK). On the one hand, that's a pretty amazing 5* pull rate for the amount of Orbs I put in. On the other hand, all 3 of them were goddamn pity breakers and 2 of them aren't 5* exclusives (also I already have them at 5*, but I guess a free Firesweep Sword+ is cool). Gonna cut my losses here probably. At least I got the original waifu of Maeda Era FE and she even came with good IVs.

I was also pretty lucky with the fodder this time and that softens the blow. Among them were 3 Barsts, 2 Oscars, 1 Shigure and Peri. Good Red fodder continues to elude me though, that pool is just way too bloated.

Also, Genealogy hype. Didn't expect to get another FE4 banner before a Binding Blade one but I'm looking forward to failing at orb saving yet again when Quan and Lewyn show up on the banner.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:49:46 AM by Hathen »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 21, 2018, 04:10:43 AM »
I was more down on the banner earlier, but then I pulled Brave Celica (+Spd/-Def) and Bector (+Atk/-Spd) in 55 Orbs. My biorhythm continues to oscillate. I'm not sure if I want yet another Axe Armor or currently the best Staff Mount for my freebie.

Brave Lyn was ridiculous entirely due to the fact that the game hadn't begun to powercreep to that extent until CYL1. Not only did she become our first Bow Knight back during the height of Horse Meta, but that the banner also debuted boosted BST, proficients with built in +3 stats, on top of an ability and character exclusive skills. This time the debut is only in regards to tier 4 skills despite some of the more overpowered prfs getting passed around. Granted tier 4 skills both suck and blow (watch Brave Celica fall off the desire meter in short order when other, less expensive options, start becoming available) as it continues to widen the gulf between budget options and the latest whale bait (while also diminishing older whale bait, albeit not nearly as bad). Also, DB4 costs 300 SP to learn from a base kit so 450 from inheritance, so 240 SP skills are going to climb up to 360 for base kit and 520 for inheritance (boy I hope you made good use of that SP glitch when it was available).

Anyways, Veronica's biggest issue isn't that she's amazing for a staff bot, but that she's amazing for a staffbot because Staffbots have been the most neglected weapon type in the game. Hell, there wasn't even a Prf staff prior to Loki and she's still unavailable, and prior to Maribelle and Nanna, the last Staffbot added was Genny who brought Wrathful Staff just to help begin to get staff users out of their launch hole (and the 5 star skills didn't even show up until months after the fact). Nevermind that we still haven't gotten a new Infantry Staffbot since her.

Sadly, Brave Celica went for another gimmicky Quad-build and doesn't have the stats to run it for the long term (see also: Olwen mk I) which sucks because she's the clear winner of the CYL2 redesign (and I'm so fucking glad she didn't get stuffed into Conrad's outfit). It also really blows that she doesn't have a good way to leverage her ludicrous Spd unlike Karla or Ayra (unless she can double up on Flashing Blade).

I want to see Ephraim's Special Fighter skill in action before I start throwing shade at it since it seems more like Quicken Pulse, et all where it only activates on the first turn of a given battle (so the HP conditional only becomes a concern in +_+s and CCs). Either way, he ended up as the Brave Roy of CYL redesigns this year.

Yes, they gave Hector Maltet instead of one of those other chump Lances. But considering how highly they consider Sol Katti over Murglis, I can see why they took this option. Legendary weapons. Accept no substitutes! The problem with Bector is the fact that we just got Lector on top of Vector a few months earlier so we're suffering from some serious Hector fatigue (which continues to call into question just why they felt the need to make Legendary versions of Ephraim and Hector considering the guaranteed Braves).

As for FE4 picks, I feel that Edain should be one (to go with Jamke, because otherwise why the hell use him for a GHeB instead of Brigid?) and then maybe Azelle, Erinys and Lewyn for color diversity (especially if they do a third Forging Bonds for that banner).

Edit: Due to the rising costs of Feathers to keep my Arena team at least semi-competitive, I've decided to spring for the 6k mark in +_+. So far my score is 104,492 and I'm still not there yet (compared to the roughly 60k needed for the 4k cutoff). I suppose this wouldn't be quite as bad if my team could autobattle through the whole thing regularly, but sadly, I'm lucky to get more than 1 unit to round 5 (it also would help if Red Miccy alone didn't have type advantage against nearly my entire team, or that the AI didn't send my player phase heavy team to prioritize literally the least threatening targets, up to and including no target whatsoever). On the upside, all of this work and Feather investment is beginning to start paying out dividends as the recently added tier 21 has left a large enough power vacuum for me to possibly slip in under.

Edit 2: Made it with a few hundred ranks to spare. All it took was literally doubling my score up to 111k+ (which set me back like 12-ish Stamina Drinks). On the plus side, my +_+ team does not want for SP (and cleaned up on HM as well). Goddamn, what a load of tedium for only an extra 2000 Feathers.

Edit 3: Now that I'm done with the latest +_+, I went back and polished off the Miccy and Sothe BHeB. Unlike most of these, I didn't even need to retry Infernal. Now watch this space (or the next post) for when it comes time for me to eat cow in regards to F!Grima's Infernal+ Legendary Battle refight (plus gimmick refight Orb quests).

Edit 4!? Goddamn this stupid powercreep!!!: In yet another move that can only be described as 'about fucking time', our next Legendary Alt will be for the big M himself. Sadly, it looks like we're going to have to wait for CYL3 to get the Pantless variant. The rest of the banner consists of Lene, Reinhardt II: Sword Buggaloo, Lancina, Fjorm, Nephenee, Vector, Springtime for Alfonse, Gunnthra, Ninjabbit, Faye and F!Grima to no one's surprise. I'm missing units from each color but I've 50% of the coverage so this is not a particularly good banner for me. Red and Green are basically the clear winners this time around. But Larth himself is kinda busted to likely everyone's surprise. For one he has his own versions of Seiglinde's forge and Regnal Astra, the former being self dependent on top of being on yet another Falchion, and the latter trading some of the attack increase for a Partywide buff effect, in addition to the Binding Shield (aka Dragonbreaker + Dragonsweep - any downsides to sweep skills) skill, along with Atk/Spd Bond and new Infantry Flash (Spd based Infantry Rush) to maximize the powercreep. Watch this guy be faster than my Spd Boon Brave Celica on a Spd Bane before buffs.

Meanwhile, I have only mostly positive things to say about the Forging Bonds this time around. Namely that its not as retarded about doling out multipliers. And by spreading them out, it also means fewer S. Drinks are needed to make reasonable progress (its much easier to wait until your Stamina is nearly charged up then wait for a 2x or 1.5x multiplier to dump on; rather than sitting on a full bar at the multiplier change and then either dumping everything on a 2x multiplier or dumping only enough to not waste too much Stamina until the next rollover). Additionally, by stacking the orb rewards in the first half of the week, they've minimized the chance of players accidentally leaving Orbs on the table. However, we're still not out of stupid stuff. Now you either need to hit the DX accessories this time around, or be left to spin your wheels a bit while you build up to next round's new base accessories. Additionally, the little cutscenes are apparently even less sophisticated than the Support cutscenes. Either way they're making good progress on the mode (I just wish I could say the same for the other modes; now if you'll excuse me, I've got to figure out who my next Water Blessing recipients are going to be).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:32:14 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 27, 2018, 06:57:40 AM »
Honestly half the time I get through like 30 of my stamina before I realize I forgot to shift my accessories around to whatever team I go into Forging Bonds with (it's a pretty nice place to level up since it syncs to your party's level with no impact on scoring- Advanced can generate pretty brutal units to take anything not 5*s into, but Light's Blessings are used for shitall anyway). I really think they should take out the stupid accessory requirement. It's just a lot of unnecessary menu flipping, plus accessories should've just remained a fun dressup function anyway, it shouldn't be involved in gameplay whatsoever.

Also Christ they really went crazy with the new Marth. Mia, Karla, Leif and Celica were all attempts to power creep Ayra but they were more like sidegrades- Larth most definitely just shits all over everything. It's really funny watching them try so hard to come up with a multitude of ways to make the next sword unit worth pulling for. Celica can quad with a Legendary weapon and that still was only enough to make people go "Huh." Larth will probably have a balanced-speedy stat spread, but whatever he has won't matter all that much because on a Tactics team he'll just have +12 to every stat on top of that +3 SPD he already has, then he also has a Ultra Regnal Astra that buffs everyone around him (who won't need it because Larth will just kill everything).

Also yeah, in terms of actual units the rest of the banner doesn't really appeal to me that much (aside from Lector, though that crushes my hopes that we'll get a Hector/Hector/Hector green next month). True that Red and Green have the best units available, but skill-wise there's Wo Carrot, Firesweep Bow and Wrath up for grabs from blue and colorless (as well as Fjorm's ATK/DEF Bond which is still a pretty good skill for lots of units) so I'd say it's actually a pretty balanced banner.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
I wouldn't really call Lief a sidegrade to Ayra. His gimmicks are far more in line with his FE5 performance than actually trying to powercreep anybody (they just went and made him decent compared to his mainline counterpart). I'd say that Karla was the only real competition to Ayra (which is utterly hilarious due to how their mainline games' counterparts performed) until now due to her sicknasty Sword granting her an automatic +7 Atk due to her base 48 Spd letting her double everyfuckingbody.

But having a CYL unit come out half baked and immediately powercreeped is almost too goddamn amazing.

As for Larth himself, Panic Ploy is going to be his worst nightmare, but so long as he has powercreeped base Spd, and at the very least, better base Atk than Belica, he'll want for nothing else (Exalted Falchion grants +3 Spd on top of what's assuredly going to be a high base Spd and Atk/Spd Bond means that he'll probably hit 45 Spd effortlessly, which in turn grants him +13~14 Atk on every attack against anything that isn't a Spd demon; not to mention anything involving buffs). Either way, he's made every Whale Dragon team in the game look shaky as hell now that he can just waltz up to one and annihilate them effortlessly.

On the plus side, Lucia is likely to be a fucking monster once they get around to her (and then Creidne will end with the last laugh as she powercreeps everyone).

Legendary Piece of Shit Edit (before I forget again): The latest Grand Conquest Godforsaken Crap is sweeping over our troubled land, as hope fades from view, and they've mentioned the newest and most interesting ways to fuck shit up even more. On the one hand, they're condensing the number of matches per round from 22 to 11. On the other hand, they're making each match worth additional points to the final total. And on the third, artist's fuck-up hand, Infernal+ still exists and they've done nothing about the knockout threshold.

If the points do anything, it'll guarantee that one whale colony is going to go on a steamroll on round 1 instead of waiting until the last minute to slaughter literally everybody. All I can do is hope to be on the team that figures this out first because we're going to quickly run out of regions to even fight for (especially with the newly extended rounds protracting land wars to new and dizzying heights).

Don't be like me and forget to not pre-register in protest because this mode is now officially total whaleshit.

Legendary Banner Edit: Saltiness towards Godawful Crap aside, my luck in this Larth banner has been pretty okay so far. In three rounds of pulling, I've managed a mediocre Lene and Lancina (+HP/-Res and +Res/-Def respectfully), as well as a +1 to Reinhardt II. That just leaves all the non-Ninjabbit seasonals and half the legendaries.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:54:47 PM by Aeolus »

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 29, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »
I actually didn't know there was a GC happening until you mentioned it. If you're tired of that mode I'd just autobattle my way through it to be honest- auto battle AI is dumb but it's somewhat decent at keeping the forts you start with since its only strategy is "kamikaze all your units" which works fine with the infinite reinforcements you get from your base.

As for the Legendary banner, I spent 55 orbs before I stopped. Got lucky with the unit pulls at least, with Lancina to +2 the one I have, Lene (+RES -SPD) and Larth (+HP -ATK). Getting pretty tired of shitty IVs ruining all the good characters I pull, but with Larth it probably won't matter that much just because of how busted his skill set is. Plus Larth's guaranteed to appear every so often so I'll have some chances to fix him (probably SOL on Lene though, just like how my Azura is still -SPD). Though I only just noticed how his C skill actually doesn't synergize too well with his weapon- if you stick him on a Tactics team it means you'll only have 1 other infantry unit to benefit from the Flashing Blade effect. At any rate now I gotta figure out what kind of team I want to build around him.

On the subject of Legendary Whalebait, I also tried to do that new Blessed Gardens map but realized I only have 1 Water team. I guess I could just hand out Water blessings to random units but I'd prefer to actually build workable teams. Hopefully the next Legendary is a Water one, but whoever it is is Blue and we already have Fjorm filling that slot (we already have LLyn and Gunnthra both as Green Wind Legendaries though, so it's not like it's a strict rule). There's yet another Red Legendary coming in October, but I'm guessing it's Hrid since the time frame seems appropriate.

Also since Gunnthra is confirmed to be running in November, we basically have confirmation that we'll finally be getting a second colorless Legendary to replace Grima that month.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »
I actually didn't know there was a GC happening until you mentioned it. If you're tired of that mode I'd just autobattle my way through it to be honest- auto battle AI is dumb but it's somewhat decent at keeping the forts you start with since its only strategy is "kamikaze all your units" which works fine with the infinite reinforcements you get from your base.

The problem is less 'just Autobattle Hard and forget it', and more "we're not more than two hours in and there's exactly one place left to fight in, and its only there because one of the teams is getting carved up like a Christmas Turkey (thankfully not mine this round)".

By round three, one team is likely going to out whale the others and every other round is going to be a sea of single color and maybe two available locations to try to fight for at the start of every other round from here to the end of the match (unless its your team that's the whales then you get a whopping 4 territories to sneak a fight in before the whales smash those territories into dust).

As for Legendary discussion, if October's is Hrid, then November's is Loli-Loki.

Edit: 1h30m into round 2 and now the second team (i.e. the one I'm in) has now rolled over and died. At least I made it to Tier 13 before getting locked out of the mode for the next 42 hours.

Edit: 20m until round 3 and only now did I have the bravery to dare to gaze upon the post event rewards. Not only have they basically made the mode unplayable, but thanks to the double score system, they've nerfed the minimum Feather reward to 2000 Feathers and made it so that you need 14 points to obtain 2500 Feathers (that would require having at least 5 areas under your control for all 10 prior rounds to get that high and then end on 4; good fucking luck even hoping for that). And as a bonus, just to add insult to injury, those helping out rewards weren't increased in value either so you're flat out making half as many of those as before. I think I'm going to demand compensation Orbs for this (as well as the Skill Inheritance Eater bug they're keeping quiet on).

Edit: 1h 10m into round 7 and the whales are beginning to wake back up after going to sleep 5 or 6 hours ago (which is unfortunate as I ended up sleeping through their slumber). Either way the rest of my team woke up during that time and pushed back to almost starting levels (I guess all my doom and gloom wasn't totally founded after all), but its going to be a long time to bounce back fully and once the wailords get going again, its going to turn back into another blood bath.

In less dire news though, deets on 2.9.0 dropped this morning and some changes were announced. On the one hand they've announced a new mode called Relay Defense (which sounds like it would be really cool, if it wasn't totally replacing Rival Domains; watch this be both more aggravating and less rewarding; motherfuckers), on the other they're introducing a Combat Manuals mechanic which sounds to pretty much singlehandedly solve all of our Barracks problems (or until we start hitting its capacity). Also some more weapon refines onto Cherche, Odin and Mage Celica (the latter of which is pretty lawl worthy because Mage Celica hasn't fallen off the powercreep wagon nearly as hard as certain other Red Mages).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:24:50 AM by Aeolus »

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:24 AM »
Combat Manuals are late (my barracks is at 776/780), but still welcome. Makes all the extra space I bought kinda worthless because the majority of what people horde is potential skill fodder or limited unit copies. It's nice that you not only can merge even after turning someone into a book, you can even promote them as a book with no grinding required. After this I'll probably shave it down to less than 200 units in there.

For the Refinery, Celica's been powercreeped pretty hard I'd say, especially for a 5* exclusive. Yeah she's still usable but I haven't used the +SPD -DEF one I've had for a while. Her base SPD is just on that line of not being able to double things that matter even with the Ragnarok boost, and Lilina just completely outclasses her in one-shotting things (Plus Lilina is a common pull now). Her evenly low defenses work against her too, other Red tomes who don't have all their stats dumped into ATK/SPD will at least have high RES so they can take a hit or two. I'll concede that there's at least 3 Red Tomes who deserves refines way more than her though- Raigh, Canas, and Henry, who all scrape the bottom of the unit barrel, especially Henry.

On that note, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with Odin to try to make him not suck. If they just base it off his tome in Fates he'll just end up with Nameless Tome- it's an effect that's so good it made Fir a solid unit, but I think even with that Odin would struggle.

I actually think Cherche is the oddest unit to be giving a refine, she's one of the few launch units who has preserved her usefulness, and there's plenty of other common pool units who could use the help. She's great either as an armor killer or one of the best Brave Axes in the game- if her refine ends up basically being Dauntless Axe that'd do it though.

Also I'm on the dud team this GC so I'll probably end up getting like 2000 feathers at the end of the round. Here's to hoping I'll get teamed up with whales next round.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 31, 2018, 07:37:58 AM »
If I didn't feel asleep at the last two hours I probably would've held onto my Rank #2 in my team, but I did so I lost an additional 500 Feathers for my efforts. I'm hoping to be on the whale team this time as well since the difference between getting the max rank from territories controlled versus being in one of the dead teams is still somehow greater than the difference between ranking #30 and #4 (even with the horribly gutted Feather amounts for territory rewards).

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like this round will be any kinder to me. #ftg

I think the issue with Celica is that her stat line is such that without heavy merging or favoritism on the player's part, she's kind of underwhelming, but in the computer's hands with the usual stat buffs across the board, she manages to swing back into being a noteworthy threat (albeit even with said stat buffs, she ain't got shit on Flying Nino).

There's no helping Henry though, poor dude is stuck with a Raven manual and you know the dev's stance on anything that used to ever be considered good at one point.

Cherche is likely going to get a sidegrade. Something that's somewhat better than her current loadout, but only in far more limited cases (she might get a weapon with Life and Death 3 on it or something and maybe a Killer or Wo Dao effect as the baked in buff).

Odin needs an uncounterable Blarblade tome with baked in Infantry Effectiveness and a Frankensteinian Combo of Savage and Poison Blows as the refine effect to get him outta that dumpster he started in. Besides they've got a lot of work to do to make me want to give up a source of Red Tomebreaker (and dammit game, we still need a not limited Blue Tomebreaker). EDIT: What he's probably going to get is the Blue Tome equivalent of Pain+ which is exactly the kind of gamechanger he'd need to become something relevant, let alone something other than SI fodder. I can see the sea of Blarpain+, AoE Special, Fortress Def/Res, Poison Strike 3/6 and Savage Blow 6/3 already.

Abyssal Edit: Beat Female Grima on Abyssal. Wasted a bunch of valuable resources on it when all I needed was Luna on ASSTiki to one-shot F!Grima (takes one-shot to beat one-shot). The rest of the team was Bonkers, Airzura and Sky Ninian. Sacred Seals included Iote's Shield on ASSTiki (because she does have to take one Arrow to the face), Drive Atk 2 on Sky Ninian (to go with Bonkers' Seal), Spur Atk 1 on Bonkers (when their powers combine, ASSTiki has just enough raw Atk to one-shot F!Grima) and Flier Formation on Airzura (because 3 Move Fliers are hilarious). Not the most F2P friendly team (given how much of these are seasonals or 5 star exclusives), but still no money dropped on this. Now to conquer Larth Abyssal (already have Infernal done, but I doubt I'll be able to use the same strategy of the Olwen II and Etrurian Scum powerhour).

Abysmal Edit: Apparently, the next VG will be between CYLs 1 & 2. I feel like Veronica will sweep this if only because its going to get stupid either way (and because I don't have her yet).

Edit to my Abysmal Edit: Free pull on the VG banner finally landed me a B!Ike (+Spd/-Def), which finally completes my CYL 1 set. I'm just short either B!Ephraim or Veronica and the freebie pull can cover the other.

Made in Abyssal Edit: And that's Larth Abyssal done. Holy fucking hell, was it taxing on my resources though. A lot of peeps now have Swordbreaker in their kit now, along with a few G. Tomebreakers and some other shit. But the expense that hit me hardest was putting Galeforce onto Eliwood (my other option was to finally upgrade Ursula's Blarblade to Blarblade+, but that was an even larger ask with less potential yield). At least it wasn't as big of an ask as it could've been since I had the Feathers to spare thanks to repeatedly ranking high in Goddamn Crap's Army Participation award (basically the only real source of Feathers from that mode now), and since he's on my Arena team (the winning run was basically my Arena team with Ursula back in Nowi's place) the BST will appreciate the boost, plus I spent the Mtn. Dew on Blazing Durandal ages ago so now he finally has something to synergize with it. Now to wait for next month's round of Abyssal maps....fuck!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:49:57 PM by Aeolus »

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 04, 2018, 03:53:05 AM »
So like usual I kinda ignored GC until the final round, but apparently that was a bad idea this time around because every single area was knocked out when I went to check, causing me to be stuck at Rank 23 with about 12 Lances to spare. It's only 4 coins and 1 orb I'm missing out on, but it's still kind of annoying. They should probably just allow people to grind battles in the home base in cases like this, if only to at least let people max out their rank. They can just make it not count towards team ranking. Either way I'll probably remember to just burn my lances ASAP next time around and not give a hoot.

Also Jamke was a pushover, though Guidance is incredibly annoying as always. Jamke himself has a nice ATK stat but is mostly just another bow to throw on the pile (unfortunately they didn't give him stacked skills to let him shoot 100 times in a row or whatever). Once again, they really should've made him colored because at least then he'd stand out. Free Heavy Blade would've been nice about a year ago, but now it's outclassed- and more importantly there's a seal for it.

Anyway hopefully the Genealogy banner gets a main chapter instead of a paralogue this time, we gotta see where this trainwreck of a story is headed.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 04, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
My opinion on the changes towards the Gimmie Candy mode have lightened somewhat given how consistently I ended up in the top three Rank in Army (I fell short on round 1 for rank 4 so I'm only walking away with 8500 Feathers from RIA instead of 9k; but I also ended the final goddamn round at Rank 1 ffs), but I still feel that the mode sucks for what its going for.

For round 1 my team got rolled badly and there was often little to no territory to compete for. Rounds 2 and especially 3 were far more of a clusterfuck due to the insane map layout caused primarily by the changing base locations. Another reason for Rounds 2 and 3 sucking in the other direction was likely due to nobody wanting to play with Infantry or Armor brigades (if Calvary had shown up I probably wouldn't have made top 5 RIA; then again, my Calvary brigade can sorta keep up with Infernal 2's bullshit on a good map). But really, the biggest factor was a more even distribution of whales, considering how often territories would get knocked out within the first half-hour (because 100k difference doesn't mean much to two teams averaging 12k every ten minutes).

But really, none of the above matters since they so badly nerfed the Feather Rewards for Territories Controlled. An army scoring anywhere from 1 to 24 points by the end was getting anywhere from 2000 to 3000 Feathers with the top reward being 4200 Feathers for 36 or more points. Meanwhile the gap between RIA #3 to #4 is worth 500 Feathers while dipping below RIA #11 costs an additional 400 Feathers. This basically led me to stop giving a fuck about the whole fighting for territories thing since those numbers are kinda jack all for the amount of effort needed to score decisive victories at key locations in a timely manner. I'd much rather rank #1 on a team getting bodied for 2050 Feathers for 2 points, than try to swim with the Whales and have nowhere to compete for, costing me Tier and RIA rewards.

My tl;dr is that it kinda defeats the purpose of fighting for a cause when the game doles out better rewards for fighting for oneself. Especially when you can't even pick which cause you're fighting for. #whatamifightingfor

As for Jamke. Sorry dude, you get to sit with Navarre in the corner of 4 star shame. Having a Killer Bow with a non-garbo Hit Rate ain't worth shit when Hit Rates don't exist, everybody's rocking at least four skills, and racing for their own Legendaries/Prfs/Discount Prfs/Alts with someone else's Legendary. You didn't even have the decency to come with a tier 4 skill like Armor/Warding Blow 4 or some kind of Color. And after From the Abyssal (what a waste of $20bux and hours of my life, stupid Procgen ARPG Diablo-alike Crawler that was made on a budget of $20bux; the DS was such a goddamn wasteland; err what was I talking about again...?) there's nothing that Jamke's GHeB can bring to the table other than advancing the Askr Quests (okay, planning around Guidance and Auto-Astra was a bit of a dick, but nothing that Flier Emblem couldn't handle with smart positioning; but I'm still not dropping 20k Feathers to five star his ass; especially if you don't even have the decency of bringing Odd Atk Wave; I don't even know why you keep getting in over better characters in these games).

As for Story Chapters. We're two away from the end of Book 2 and assuming that Hrid and loli-Loki are October and November's Legendaries, then yeah, Friday's banner should be another Story increment.

As for recent pulling efforts. I'm very much unlikely to walk away with a second HoshiDancer, but I'll take getting a +1 to a waifu as a 3.25% pity breaker.

As for my thoughts on Combat Manuals. It'd be a great way to backdoor some Askr merges.

Edit: You know, for shits and giggles, I want this next banner to be totally Edain focused. We already have her future husbando Jamke, and likely the lady herself, so lets get her wannabe suitor Midir involved, as well as Dew, the male who actually saved Edain from her terrible captors (I guess Jamke left the door open or something; but he wasn't out there fighting off thugs all on his own for her while waiting for Sigurd and crew to finish their lengthy detour around Genoa Ayra), and her far superior sister/waifu bait Brigid for the fourth. As a bonus, we can totally fit Andrey in as a +_+ reward (and he'll be just as relevant to the banner as he is to Edain in FE4). It'll be a great banner for underrepresented Classes. :V
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:54:39 AM by Aeolus »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 04, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
I like GC for what it is, but 4 hour rounds were a mistake now that people have figured out how to abuse knock-outs. I hope they come up with a method for players to support their team even when the entire map is locked, like pouring stamina into your base to level it up and gain new bonuses for your army.

As for Jamke, my armours laugh at trees, so I've got tree copies now and am seriously considering promoting one of them to 5 stars just because I can. I don't even need archers (I've got twelve at five stars), especially not colourless ones, but I really liked Jamke in his original game and I'm partial to archers in general, so...

Edit: You know, for shits and giggles, I want this next banner to be totally Edain focused. We already have her future husbando Jamke, and likely the lady herself, so lets get her wannabe suitor Midir involved, as well as Dew, the male who actually saved Edain from her terrible captors (I guess Jamke left the door open or something; but he wasn't out there fighting off thugs all on his own for her while waiting for Sigurd and crew to finish their lengthy detour around Genoa Ayra), and her far superior sister/waifu bait Brigid for the fourth. As a bonus, we can totally fit Andrey in as a +_+ reward (and he'll be just as relevant to the banner as he is to Edain in FE4). It'll be a great banner for underrepresented Classes. :V

So, basically, you want an entirely colourless New Heroes banner?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 04, 2018, 11:28:29 PM »

So, basically, you want an entirely colourless New Heroes banner?

It doesn't have to be....but yes. :p

Too bad, that's not what's happening. Instead we're getting Quan, Lewyn and Silvia (I guess that means no Forging Bonds for awhile) with Ethlyn as the +_+ reward.

Aside from Brigid and Claude that's all of the Gen 1 holy weapon users accounted for (on the player side at least). Still doesn't explain why they gave us Jamke for the GBeH (oh wait, Verdane, nevermind).

I suppose the point of interest is that based upon CYL1, the top five Jugdral characters yet to make into FEH are Larcei at 7th, Ced at 13th, Arthur at 16th, Erinys at 20th and Azelle at 21st. Reinhardt Lene's currently the least popular Jugdral in the game. I guess Edain was too unpopular after all (I mean, she's been the second least popular Gen 1 PC in both polls, behind Claud on both counts). And not that popularity has to do with anything, but I think I might have an idea as to our next FE4 Gen 2 banner participants and respective +_+ reward character will be.

Edit: Lol, Gae Bolg's effect doesn't work on Flying units. Also nobody's demoting this time. Also also, powercreeped Rallies.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:51:33 PM by Aeolus »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 05, 2018, 02:12:42 AM »
Lewyn looks as busted as he's supposed to be. Like... "You enjoying those new overpowered blue and green armours? Well, here's a unit to kill them with!"

I wonder who will be demoted. Silvia is the least impressive one of the three, but she's the only one with boobs, which complicates matters.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 05, 2018, 02:25:48 AM »
She's also a Dancer, who have a history of non-demotion. I think Quan will get demoted, if anyone. Yeah he has 5 skills and a PRF, but none of them are particularly remarkable (annoying power creeped rally aside), and they've demoted Morgan M in the past who had a PRF.

Also that B skill on Lewyn is ridiculous. Everyone's going to want those seasonal Desperation weapons along with it.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 05, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »
Quan's interesting as he's the first character to come with both an Assist and a Special. But he could still be demoted to Uncommon since he doesn't have all three Letter Skills, is female or is a Refresher. Prfs have traditionally had little to do with a unit remaining 5 star exclusive, just ask Merric, Jeorge, Chrom or Male Corrin.

Also I lol'd at how much younger they made Silvia look compared to Lene, despite having 'those'.

And Lewyn's basically the sole owner of that Brash Assault Seal now. Sorry Lyn. Fuckin' welp!

Meanwhile, the next VG is on and Veronica is crushing it at 5:1. This of course means absolutely nothing due to being a post multiplier VG, and besides I still don't have a copy of her (and I'm not blowing my freebie pull for her yet). I'm going with Celica instead despite being the worst performing member of CYL2, because she's OG design Celica and fuck it, if she loses I can still jump over to Lyn (who'll likely lose to Veronica baring Blue Turtle strats).

Edit: 2.9.0 is now live. Sweet Zombie Jesus. Celica's refine is insane. Brazen Atk/Spd 3 + removing the HP requirements for her tome's effect (though it seems she'll lose 5HP every time she attacks now) effectively grants her Brazen Atk/Spd 5 before skill slots after attacking once (you can feed her an Ares to effectively grant her Brazen Atk/Spd 8 for +19 Atk/Spd after the first hit; or Ardent Sacrifice after merging to +3 or above without an HP bane). Meanwhile Cherche gets Brave Axe++ (11 Mt and then you can further refine it to add +2 Mt, +3 Spd, +4 Def or Panic Ploy), and Odin gets Blue Thunderhead (which can then be further refined for Atk/Spd Link; I still like my idea of a Pain Tome+ better).

The next +_+ has been datamined and the results are Threaten Def (where was this during the those Abyssal challenges), Drive Spd and Blaze Dance (cool, a good alternative to Earth Dance for those who already have Earth Dance). The bonus units are Sigurd, Cuan, Eldigan, Lewyn, Ethlyn, Silvia, Dierdre and Jamke (fuck, I guess I will be 5 starring Jamke after all), while the final map is based upon Chalphy with Sigurd as the boss (even though the banner is named after Chapter 5, not the Prologue).

Stats have also been datamined and the results aren't surprising. Lewyn's your typical min/maxed mage (37 Spd is solid, but Sky Nino has him beat), Cuan is Blue Frederick, Silvia has butt tones of Spd and Res (but remains a Dancer), and Ethlyn is a mounted Staffbot (she does have good Spd, but 34 isn't enough to rate in the Spd creep wars).

But the real star of the update remains Combat Manuals.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:36:45 AM by Aeolus »