Author Topic: Underrated Classic Games

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Underrated Classic Games
« on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:37 AM »
Don't know what prompted this, but yeah anyone else want to share and talk about classic games that are often under the radar, a sort of "underrated" games kind of thread.

I had two in mind also for starting off

Yeah I pretty much loved everything about this game, campy B humor, time travel, robot dog, heavy amounts of action and doses of crazy and whimsy.

It's pretty much completely isolated too as far as I know no sequel was ever made, but yeah one heck of an experience IMO one of the best.

Also

Pretty much just pure and simple joyous sports game, nothing complicated or complex, just drive your jet-ski around courses and hope for the best time. I used to spend hours just driving around in the kind of training area messing around, felt like just being on vacation in Hawaii or something every time I played.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Underrated Classic Games
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »
I was never able to defeat the final boss in Secret of Evermore.

Also forgive me if this makes me sound like a pedant, but how is a game both underrated and a classic?

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
I was never able to defeat the final boss in Secret of Evermore.

Also forgive me if this makes me sound like a pedant, but how is a game both underrated and a classic?

I'm pretty sure artimicia means underrated retro games.

Its by no means perfect (story gets lost in translation). However its really a nice and unique 20-25hr SPRG. The setting is cool, divided post WW2 Japan with diesel mechs and the combat is fun.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
Can't have this thread without mentioning Threads of Fate/Dewprism. Fun little action JRPG that wasn't overly ambitious, but still managed to be addictive and charming. Heck, just bringing it up right now is giving me the urge to replay it.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Oh man, Threads of Fate.  So charming and fun.  Didn't care much for the platforming parts, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:04 PM »
Super Monaco GP (Genesis/MD): this was always my favorite racing game.

Solaris (Atari 2600)

Not sure if any of these game were underrated. Solaris is considered the best 2600 game ever made by critics however it was released in 1986. SMGP got plenty of 9/10 or 10/10s back in the day but it was pretty much a launch title and for the most part most Genesis/Mega Drive games were ignored pre-sonic. Both games today are still fun to play today.

Pitfall II is considered to be not as good as Pitfall. These people never played the Atari 5200 or Atari 800 Pitfall II which had a whole 2nd level that was way more challenging and bigger than the 1st level that what the 2600 got. It was the closest thing to Metroid that the pre-NES had.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
my solaris picture somehow morphed into DerpSonic. I'd edit it but come on its DerpSonic.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
my solaris picture somehow morphed into DerpSonic. I'd edit it but come on its DerpSonic.

I was starting to think it was a joke I didn't get (happens often).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »

I was starting to think it was a joke I didn't get (happens often).

Same.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 09:03:36 PM »
I'm old enough to live an era when arcades were a thing.

Here is the best shooter of all time: Darius. 3 monitors placed side by side.

Microsurgeon. Intellivision deserved better it was such a great console.

XERQ GRANITE

• Super FreQ
  • WUB WUB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »
Can't forget FreQuency and Amplitude! ^_6 They were far ahead of their time and somehow Guitar Hero (which came AFTER FreQuency
/Amplitude) managed to get far more recognition and sold very well but FreQuency and Amplitude didn't :/

And the new Amplitude is selling worse than the original games :( Please check out Amplitude: A Cult Classic Reborn if you have a PS3 or PS4, it's got a free demo so you can try-before-you-buy, and if you like it, please show some love and support for the series by buying it, it's only $20 and it's well worth the money! ^_6 Also, please sign and share the Amplitude DLC Petition to help keep the FreQuency/Amplitude series alive! ^_6 It's got over 60 signatures so far, including signatures from 3 Artists from the original games, Kasson Crooker (Symbion Project, Komputer Kontroller, DJ HMX, and Cosmonaut Zero), Melissa Kaplan, and Logan 7! ^_6

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/217/637/013/amplitude-dlc-keeping-the-frequencyamplitude-series-alive/

Aside from my favorite Music/Rhythm series, a couple more great underrated games are Airblade (it was like the Tony Hawk games, but on HOVERBOARDS! ^_6 I wish they'd bring it back in the style of newer Tony Hawk games :/) and Spider: The Video Game! ^_6

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »

My guess is that Arti means games that were cult classics. 

Two games that I would consider cult classics are Ubi-Soft's Beyond Good & Evil (I'm still surprised that the game wasn't a monster hit; it was a great game that I thought had a solid marketing campaign) and Sega/Team Andromeda's Panzer Dragoon Saga (considered one of the most innovative JRPGs and a true classic by all who played it... but not many people had Saturns in 1997, and that allowed Final Fantasy VII on the more popular Sony Playstation to be the JRPG that opened the floodgates.)   

EDIT: Another game I would definitely consider a cult classic is Pokemon Snap.  That game was cool.  I was hoping the camera feature in Pokemon Sun would pay proper homage to Snap, but it unfortunately felt like an afterthought.  I would totally play another Pokemon Snap game. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:44:29 AM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
I'm old enough to live an era when arcades were a thing.

Here is the best shooter of all time: Darius. 3 monitors placed side by side.

Microsurgeon. Intellivision deserved better it was such a great console.

Darius is fun but the greatest SHMUP of all time is unequivically DoDonPachi

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »

ESPGaluda had some great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ej9DoG2FdU
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:09:39 PM by Annubis »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Still my all time favorite sports game

Tourney Cyberball arcade:

Hook Sega CD

Sega CD was largely a travesty of a console also Hook was largely a mediocre movie, with a killer soundtrack. The game used all the music from the movie and it worked fantastic.