Author Topic: Underrated Classic Games

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Underrated Classic Games
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 01:11:05 AM »
A couple of old 16-bit Renovation Games developed mostly by Wolf Team (Wolf Team eventually split up after creating Tales with a bunch of people who started in their studio founding Tri-Ace). They used to do a bunch of very solid games mostly shumps and platformers. I used to buy them all the time as when i was in middle school I had no money and they were always discounted.

El Viento - Genesis/MD had a bunch of these platformers with about 6-8 levels that you could have fun with for a few hours.

Whip Rush

Final Zone

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
I liked this series in arcades and stuff

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »
^Same. Also played the 360 collection a lot. They supposedly boned the PC port, though. Just FYI.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
Yo Rook wolfteam fistbump

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
Yo Rook wolfteam fistbump

The Valis series still has a place in my heart (which is why my heart is dead and buried alongside it and other IPs of that bygone era).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
I often felt that the franchise "black sheep" were very underrated games. My favorite SMB is SMB2, my favorite Zelda is Zelda II, and my favorite Castlevania is Simon's Quest.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
my favorite Castlevania is Simon's Quest.

I'm rather curious as to what puts that game above all other Castlevanias for you. All I can seem to remember is getting lost and frustrated a lot of the time, and easily defeating Dracula with bouncy diamond attacks.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »

I'm rather curious as to what puts that game above all other Castlevanias for you. All I can seem to remember is getting lost and frustrated a lot of the time, and easily defeating Dracula with bouncy diamond attacks.

My problem with Castlevania 2 is that other games have done it better since then, including other Castlevania titles. That being said, there's something about all those sidescrolling RPGs ala Ys III that holds some kind of appeal to me. It's like pure late 80s/early 90s game design that got closest to marrying videogames to 80s/early 90s adventure anime.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »

My problem with Castlevania 2 is that other games have done it better since then, including other Castlevania titles. That being said, there's something about all those sidescrolling RPGs ala Ys III that holds some kind of appeal to me. It's like pure late 80s/early 90s game design that got closest to marrying videogames to 80s/early 90s adventure anime.

Popful Mail ftw

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »

Popful Mail ftw

^ I fully support this name drop. I especially loved the opening video/cutscene/cartooon/whatever to that game.

I agree, Aeolus. There's definitely a nostalgic charm, when it comes to certain games from that era. I'm curious if there's more to it than that, that keeps it at the top of Rook's Castlevania list. I'd personally rather play SotN, or even the first Castlevania any old day. That's just me, of course.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
This was also a fave in the Arcades... like the best D&D game ever made somehow.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
like the best D&D game ever made somehow.

Lie.
Gold Box all the way, son.

EDIT: Specification: Pool of Radiance series.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:53:03 PM by Frostillicus »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »
It's the best D&D game for people that don't like D&D. :T

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »
C'mon folks, best D&D game is Baldur's Gate 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »
At least we can all agree that the not-the-best D&D game is FF I (it takes far too many liberties). :p