Author Topic: Video Game Club?

EndofPi

• View Profile
Video Game Club?
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
First I want to apologize, I did not research the internet to see if there is anything already like this.

I am looking for some random 3-5 people who would be interested in forming a Video Game Book Club. The intent of this is to have individuals we can share our experience. To be honest, I am looking for this to be low maintenance. I have very little time to game as is and I prefer that time not to be consumed with managing rather than experiencing. Due to this, I prefer communicating via group instant messenger like KIK/FB Messenger or if someone has better examples. 

The reason I am trying to do this, is that I am 32 years old with a wonderful wife and beautiful daughter who is about to turn 1. As great as they are, they do not share passion for gaming and at my age and career it’s hard to find others locally who have the same interest where I cannot invest a lot of time socialize outside of gaming/work/and family responsibilities.

If anyone is interested please respond below with any thoughts, brief description of yourself, a few favorite games/ genres something to get an idea of your taste especially if there is anything you would prefer to stay away from such as rogue likes. 

Also please indicate which system you would consider playing and messenger apps you have.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:13:41 PM by EndofPi »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Book Club?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
Had me at video game.

Lost me at book.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

EndofPi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
Wow, oversight on my part. I meant a video game version of a book club.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
EndofPi, I'm still not sure what specifically that would entail.  Having a weekly chat where we all discuss the game we're playing?  That sort of happens in an informal way in the forums here when there's a big new release and a lot of people are playing it.  But I think part of the problem is that video games--and RPGs especially--can be pretty long and everyone plays them at a different pace.  And in more open-ended games they might have totally different experiences to begin with.

So I'm really not entirely sure exactly what this 'video game book club' would involve.

But for communication use Discord 'cause it's awesome.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
^ I would think that like a book club, an agreed assignment of sorts would be given? Like you say though, that may still be difficult to pull off, given different factors...

How would you go about this, Pi?
Either way, as a 36 yo full-time employee; father; and husband of a wife who doesn't enjoy video games, I totally feel your situation.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Club?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
Basically what Natros said.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Isn't that what we have the video game journal for?

TASTY!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »

XERQ GRANITE

• Super FreQ
  • WUB WUB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
But for communication use Discord 'cause it's awesome.
Haha, beat me to it, I was gonna recommend Discord too! :p

First I want to apologize, I did not research the internet to see if there is anything already like this.

I am looking for some random 3-5 people who would be interested in forming a Video Game Book Club. The intent of this is to have individuals we can share our experience. To be honest, I am looking for this to be low maintenance. I have very little time to game as is and I prefer that time not to be consumed with managing rather than experiencing. Due to this, I prefer communicating via group instant messenger like KIK/FB Messenger or if someone has better examples. 

The reason I am trying to do this, is that I am 32 years old with a wonderful wife and beautiful daughter who is about to turn 1. As great as they are, they do not share passion for gaming and at my age and career it’s hard to find others locally who have the same interest where I cannot invest a lot of time socialize outside of gaming/work/and family responsibilities.

If anyone is interested please respond below with any thoughts, brief description of yourself, a few favorite games/ genres something to get an idea of your taste especially if there is anything you would prefer to stay away from such as rogue likes. 

Also please indicate which system you would consider playing and messenger apps you have.
I'd love to be part of this, especially if it's on Discord! ^_6 My "description" is in my introduction here:

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8301.18495

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »
Isn't that what we have the video game journal for?

Sort of. I think the difference with this idea is that everyone involved would be playing the same game, and would actively discuss it together. The game journal thread is more like a "Hey, I'm currently playing Super Fire Souls Smash Blade 2.5 HD" billboard that usually doesn't necessitate responses.

Pretty much this: http://www.rpgfan.com/retro_encounter.html

This is prob the closest we have here, but for some people (like me), listening to podcasts and radio shows is incredibly boring.

EndofPi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
Correct there have been several different podcast that have done game clubs. They set an artificial point in the game and give a specified amount of time for people to reach that part. What I am personally looking for is a few people to have a more on-going conversation about a game over a specified period time. I personally don’t like forums to me because I hardly use a computer. I am on the go and when I do get to sit down by myself I don’t want to have to be digging in a forum to remain invested in the conversation.  What I would like is a group of people on something like FB messenger all in a group chat, randomly chatting together the progress through a game with generalized guidelines moving us forward.

For example, I am playing DQ8 now, we would say ok in a month you need to reach this town but as we are playing I can send a text to the group saying something general “This game is hard any tips”, “How is everyone like it” or “I am stuck at this boss” and if a conversation was going to containing more spoilers then someone who is in the group with me can carry on the conversation on a separate chat. 

I apologize I am not conveying this very well, I didn’t sleep well last night. Btw just downloaded discord going to try it out but it seems like this is what I am Loki for
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:15:10 PM by EndofPi »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
Since we're all speaking about Discord (Skype sux), is there one for RPGFan?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
There is not currently, no.

We could try and set one up, but I worry how it may affect the boards activity.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

EndofPi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
Well my username on Discord is EndofPi#6511
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:44:08 PM by EndofPi »

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
i would not mind an RPGFan Discord channel myself