Author Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Horizon: Zero Dawn
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
Horizon is out, I bought it, and it definitely deserves a topic here. I'm seriously early in it but so far it's astoundingly impressive visually. Gameplay wise, it's pretty fun so far. Reminds me of the last of us meets with questing added and level ups and equipment modding. It's early so I'm not gonna sing praises of it being the greatest game ever or anything,  but I'm definitely eager to see how much more it has to offer

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
I've got it. I'm enjoying it so far. Still fairly early myself, so I don't have a lot to say at the moment either.

Arkodo

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:35:23 AM »
Picked it up day one, too! :D

Glad to hear that you both are enjoying it. :)

That opening may be the best lead in to a menu screen I've seen this generation of Sony console. And, that music, though. Whoever is doing those vocals is ethereal as hell. :D

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:20:16 AM »
I feel guilty for not having bought this yet. It's a game from the Netherlands' biggest game studio and national news is treating it like the best things since sliced cheese - a 'made in Holland' product to be proud of (and export the hell out of).

And, that music, though. Whoever is doing those vocals is ethereal as hell. :D

Julie Elven? She's new to videogames but did do some work for World of Warcraft - Legion.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Is her last name really "Elven" though?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »

Why do you think she got the part in World of Warcraft? =P

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »

It's a legit last name, so yeah, there's a chance her name is actually Elven.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
I bought this game on day one after all the amazing reviews. But the funny thing is I'm enjoying my time with Atelier Rorona so much, that I've only just played up until the first battle with a sawtooth. I like it for what it is, but I really have to remember how much I dislike sandbox games when reading and interpreting reviews. To me, sandbox games always have pacing issues. And maybe that's just a personal problem since I can really easily get caught up exploring, even when I'm not having a lot of fun.

Which I am. Having fun, that is. But it's not exactly an experience I'd expect unanimously high praise for.

Hoping I don't have the same issues with sandbox Zelda.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »
Enjoying myself so far.
I'm not easily impressed and I dont hand out high praise in the slightest sense but this is the best looking game Iv played. Surprised we aren't seeing Killzone 2 levels of gifs bombarding threads left and right.  It completely trounces on everything on consoles and PC. This is pretty much how the Witcher wished it looked.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »
That gif gives me pause
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
I just want to note that that I'll be looking forward to this, either at a discount or in a Platinum Hits style edition with any extra DLC - not because it doesn't look awesome, but because I don't need a zillion Open-World games, and I'm already up to my armpits in them. I still haven't touched The Witcher 3 or Metal Gear Solid 5, and I got Zelda coming in the mail tomorrow. Then there's Mass Effect: Andromeda that I just ordered for my birthday, which I'll be spending most of April with, assuming my brother isn't mad that we never finished Final Fantasy XV...which he probably is...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »
Yeah, that's a lot of frickin' open world games.

Maybe pepper in a little Trails of Cold Steel between those?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »
Well beat the game. And dear lord do these credits go on forever (oh hey just noticed I can skip wonder how long that has been there >.>). Overall game was enjoyable. Suffers from fairly standard open world syndrome with a large amount of time playing the game just being wandering around. However I enjoyed the story a lot. There are several moments in it that I thought were absolutely magnificent. I think the writers and animation team did great job of conveying their story. I look forward to seeing what they do next with this series because there are certainly possibilities left open by the ending.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:04:13 AM »
I'm actually about 4 missions from beating it, but I've done almost everything else trophy wise (just missing the grazer dummies). Honestly, I went in thinking this would be a timesink til Nier 2, but now I find myself fully invested in it and nier collecting virtual dust while I finish it. Whereas you said suffer from, Ranadiel, I loved the open world aspect of the game. Exploring this world has been quite entertaining, and murdering hordes of giant robots has been glorious. The detail this game exhibits in every corner of the map is outrageous. I've never found myself stopping to just check out the scenery in a game like this. Even the robot packs in areas doing their thing seems so detailed and meticulously done... seriously, if you own a ps4 and don't at least try this out, you shouldn't own a ps4. This is one of those games that will probably be talked about for years.

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
This is one of those games that will probably be talked about for years.

I hope so. Otherwise I'm gonna feel left out in 2019. =P

But seriously, I'm happy about the praise this game is getting. It looks like an interesting concept, and I liked Guerilla Game's Killzone franchise. Getting to see them do well in a completely different style of game is such a joy, and I hope other publishers take note, preferably following suit with some of their heavily stiffled developers, too. There's no good reason why creativity (or rather, creative flexibility) should belong solely in the realm of Independant developers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:52:10 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes