Author Topic: Travel in Japan

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Travel in Japan
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
In about 2 months we will be spending more than a week in japan. Actually first we will be in hong kong and will bet to tokyo from there. Then its three nights in tokyo then three nights in Kyoto before heading back to tokyo to return to HK.

So besides the usual suggestions for good parks and events, etc I have questions about getting around in Japan.

We are using narita airport. Is that airport hooked up to the main metro/subway line that services the whole city or is it seperate? If i buy a rail pass will it work on the metro as well as the high speed rail between cities?

I know zero japanese but my +1 is fluent in Chinese and can read some of japanese kanji. Will that and the prevalence of English be enough for us to get around?

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Travel in Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
Narita, despite being the closest airport to Tokyo, is pretty far away. It's an hour train ride, but the journey is covered by several rail passes you can get.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
Narita is not the closest airport to Tokyo.  That would be Haneda by a significant margin.  But Narita is a very big airport and it's where most international travelers fly into.  It takes some time to get from Narita to Tokyo but it's not like it's a complicated trip.  Take the Narita Express train and it goes straight there.

I'm kind of on the fence about whether the rail passes are even worth it though.  And from the sound of your trip, Yoda, I would guess that they're not.  Yes the rail passes are convenient, but they're also pretty pricey.  When I've used a rail pass in Japan before I kind of felt like I needed to be constantly on the move to get my money's worth, never spending more than a day or two in on location.  That also depends on how long you're there.  I forget exact prices but a two week pass is definitely not double the price of a one week pass so you can take things a bit slower then.  But if you're only there for a week and are only visiting two cities it's kind of questionable.

Still, a round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto via shinkansen isn't exactly cheap either.  You might look up how much the tickets cost normally online and do some more exact comparisons.  Though keep in mind that while the rail pass is accepted on most shinkansen lines there are actually some that don't take it, and I think at least one of those runs between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka.  So that's something to keep in mind too.

Within a city the rail passes are only accepted for JR lines.  Which covers a lot, but not everything.  If you check out subway maps online and such they generally show which lines are JR.  Still, getting around within a city is not super expensive to begin with.  The shinkansen and Narita Express is going to be the bulk of your cost.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:50:32 PM »
Sorry i have been busy but thank you all for the reaponses. I booked a really nice hotel for the night we land in tokyo. I was going to stay at the park hyatt ( hotel in lost in translation) but after taxes and fees it was 600 a night. We have nice air bnbs for tokyo and kyoto. I can tell you how excited i am.

While in Hong Kong we will probably stay with my g/fs sister to help save on money.

Malekoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
I am in the same boat. We are traveling to Japan April 10th (next Monday). We are staying in Tokyo Akihabara for two nights and then Okinawa for 1.5 weeks. Akihabara is Anime/game central.
We have reservations for Ezorea Final Fantasy Café, and Studio Ghibli Museum tickets. Various game/anime stores are within walking distance from our hotel. Some family members are also into cosplay, and that is abundant there too. Also Club Sega, Square Enix store, Pokémon Center, etc. Last time I went to Japan I picked up a couple Japanese RPG's including Shining Resonance (kind of like Tales series). Not sure if these ideas are within travel distance for you. Also I know there is Universal Studios in Osaka. They have an Anime part of the park.
Open to suggestions for new Japanese RPG's. My translation skills are mild, so text heavy games are too difficult to understand.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »
If you're in Kyoto, it might be worth taking a trip into Osaka.

It's very cheap, and only about half an hour on the regular train.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
Ok sorry i havent posted but my trip was awesome. Tokyo is a marvel. I live in arguably one of the best cities in the USA (but I am no snob I love NYC, LA, and San Diego) in Chicago but jesus it feels like a third rate junk of garbage compared to Tokyo. The food. The cleanliness. The attention to detail in everything they do.... we stayed in an airbnb near the skytree, its a crowded place but it was so quiet! No sirens, no loud people blasting music... and walking down the residential street nobody locked up their bikes! If i left my bike leaning against my apartment in chicago it would be gone before i could say al capone

The sega arcades are bomb.

Also Hong Kong rules. Great food and and striking scenery but it was too hot and that city is like a bigger nyc, it is pretty dirty. Macau is beautiful as well and a great time

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »
Hong Kong is dirty, but it has a cool vibe that I like.

I'm going to see a friend in Macau during the Xmas holidays. What did you do there besides gamble?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.