Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: New Radiant Historia!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
AH!  This is amazing!

The voices in the original (that existed only in my mind) were completely freaking awesome (I'm good at casting), so I'm curious how the localization is going to play out.  The loc for Vanilla RH is surpassed only by Trails in the Sky when it comes to quality.  There was some seriously great writing in that game.

So excited to have Stocke x Raynie back!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/first-look-radiant-historia-perfect-chronology

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology-japanese-limited-edition-detailed

So taking a look at some screenshots and it really doesn't look like they've changed much beyond the artstyle and the new scenario (which is called Sub-History versus the Normal History and Alternate History of the original, and does not bode well for content). Which means it'll probably also still have the clunky interface, sparse field areas, lack of meaningful timeline shenanigans, bloated endgame dungeons and questionable character access (new character (named Nemesis) will likely either be stapled onto the party with little to no dialogue beyond Sub-History or locked to Sub-History).

I feel like this would've been better as a sequel, even if it missed the point (I'll wait and see if anything else has changed before deciding to double-dip or not).

(Also, Eruca with long hair bothers me; not that she's not rocking the long hair, but she rocked the short hair just as well and that's rare in videogames. Also Aht seems to have gone from Beatstick to Aht Stick.)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »
To chime in with Aelous: why not a sequel? I mean, the game's not even that old and it's already getting a remake/port-thing? I know that's a trend these days, but wow.

Disclaimer: I hated it, so feel free to disregard my opinion. :)

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 12:31:29 AM »
To chime in with Aelous: why not a sequel? I mean, the game's not even that old and it's already getting a remake/port-thing? I know that's a trend these days, but wow.

Disclaimer: I hated it, so feel free to disregard my opinion. :)

Its 6 years old at this point. Not olde skool old, but pretty old never-the-less (for reference, that's the same amount of time it took to go through the entire mainline Xenosaga series, or to go from FFX to FFXII, or to go from Melee to Brawl).

That said, and in all fairness, a lot of people probably missed out on this since it came right at the tail end of the DS's lifespan and was a totally unknown/low budget/brand new IP/'game from Atlus who had already descended into Persona Spam hell' game, so a remake does make a certain amount of sense (whether it makes enough sense to double dip remains to be seen).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 03:58:00 AM »
Also, Eruca with long hair bothers me; not that she's not rocking the long hair, but she rocked the short hair just as well and that's rare in videogames

No! Her poor hair! She looked great (and unique) with short hair! And that's coming from someone who has generic blonde princess hair in real life.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
I do not care for the new art.  Not a dealbreaker, but it's definitely a step down from the original.
Happy to see they managed to take Aht from 20% Loli all the way to 1000%.  I played through all of RH and never knew she was barely dressed.  *sigh*

STILL!  I'll take new RH however I can!  Stoked for Sub-History, and hopeful it'll be good.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
It sounds like there will be an option to retain the original art as DLC: comes with the special edition. :) So that's kind of nice, even if you have to pay extra for it.

I loved the original game, so I'll take an Overclocked/Record Breaker style remix of it. Perhaps a proper continuation will follow, who knows.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »
I loved Radiant Historia, and that trailer looks gorgeous.

But then I remember that the game probably won't look like that.  The 3DS screen is small and pixelly and makes my eyes hurt.  But, I expect the audio will be better than on the DS, and given Shimomura's spectacular soundtrack...it's a hard call.

If this were being released on a console, I'd probably be throwing money at the screen right now.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
So the original Radiant Historia was released over 6 years into the DS's life, when the 3DS was on the verge of release.

This game is being released over 6 years into the 3DS's life, when the pseudo-successor Switch (hey, it's a portable too) is already out.

You have to wonder why they're so insistent on not putting these games on current systems...

FozzyBear

• Swamp King
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Feel the rhythm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »
Fingers crossed on a U.S. release. I've had the original on my backlog for awhile.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
So the original Radiant Historia was released over 6 years into the DS's life, when the 3DS was on the verge of release.

This game is being released over 6 years into the 3DS's life, when the pseudo-successor Switch (hey, it's a portable too) is already out.

You have to wonder why they're so insistent on not putting these games on current systems...

Probably because they figure it's a safer bet? On a new system, if not a lot of people are interested, it'll do poorly due to a low installbase. Besides, during a transition phase, the choices for new content are slimmer all around. I know I'm happy to see that my New 3DS will still be getting plenty to play in the future.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:05:30 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »

Something, something, shoestring budget, something...

That, and to serve as filler while developing programming tools necessary to bring the next round of SMT/Persona titles to the next generation.

RuinsRunes

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
I was really surprised by this news. This is one of my favorite games; I even have the 'World Guidance' (I think that's what it's called) Japanese guidebook thing for it that I can't read.

I hope this gets released here. More exposure would be nice, and I'd definitely pick it up.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
One thing is for sure, the switch is NOT a replacement for the 3DS. Even down to the controls, the 3DS is better.

I'm happy to see this rework for the 3DS instead of the switch. This had better come out in the US.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:53:56 PM by bigdeath »