Author Topic: 'Likes' taking a long time to load

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
'Likes' taking a long time to load
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
I'm not sure if it's just me or everyone, but the pages of the site seem to load slowly because of 'likes' which take a while to appear.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: 'Likes' taking a long time to load
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:55:04 PM »
The site in general never seems to be done loading, according to my Firefox tab. Even when everything is displayed, the tab icon indicates its still waiting for something to finish loading. Once I left the forum open for a 7 hour shift and when I came home, the indicator was still saying it was trying to load something.

Not really affecting the site, and probably completely unrelated, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:35 AM »
For me the Likes take an extra second or two to show up, but I wouldn't say it was particularly slow.

I use Chrome and haven't met the issue you have Klutz, the site loads just fine for me pretty quickly.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:15:52 AM »
The site in general never seems to be done loading, according to my Firefox tab. Even when everything is displayed, the tab icon indicates its still waiting for something to finish loading. Once I left the forum open for a 7 hour shift and when I came home, the indicator was still saying it was trying to load something.

Not really affecting the site, and probably completely unrelated, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Could be Firefox related. I'm on Firefox too.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
Firefox is honestly a shell of what it used to be... It was my favorite browser for a long time, but now it's seriously slow and glitchy, in comparison to its competitors (tested several myself). I actually got in trouble with the IT dept at work, because Firefox was constantly using a lot of bandwidth, even when not loading anything (just sitting there open). They thought I was streaming media.
I've recently been using a Chrome-sourced browser, and it's like a lightning bolt in comparison. I avoided the switch forever, but the difference cannot be denied. It doesn't do the whole passive bandwidth usage thing either. The pages here at RPGFan have been loading up fully, no problem.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »
"Likes" sometimes won't load at all on my Chrome (Mac).  I have to reload often if I want to Like a post.  Even just now before making this comment, they didn't load on the page at all.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Liked your post just now. There was a bit of a hang (3-5 seconds) before the button showed up, but showed up it did.

EDIT: Jinxed myself. Just reloaded the page after posting that, and it took over 10 seconds for the Like button to show up. Seems the browser got hung up "waiting for analytics.rpgfan.com".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:24:21 PM by natros »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »
I counted to 30 and gave up.  Checked back a couple minutes later and they had loaded.  Maybe it depends on the internet?  Although my office internet is very fast... (81 mbs on a speed test I just ran).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about the troubles. I let Mark know, and hopefully he'll be able to help.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Currently assuming it's the script firing slowly. I'll see what I can do. :)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 02:25:39 AM »
Oh, so that's why the Like button's gone, at the mo. Also, speaking of things not working: @Hidoshi the second link in your signature doesn't seem to work.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes