Author Topic: [Developer]Miracelund. Unity wolfenstein 3D like RPG.

PompiPompi

• View Profile
[Developer]Miracelund. Unity wolfenstein 3D like RPG.
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »
I am developing a game called Miracelund(Not sure it's the best name...).

It's an action RPG but in a doom 1/Wolfenstein kind of gameplay. Sort of.
I am actually still thinking about how this game will be, I think I am more or less settled on the gameplay but there are many other things I need to figure out.
One thing is... how to distribute enemies/XP/treasure/quests.
I am sure you are pro at tweaking stats. I used to play a lot of RPGs but in a recent decade I didn't play many games at all.

So basically I need your tips and help on how to develop this RPG game.

Here are some medias to give you the feeling of how the game looks like/plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaUITOVlEns

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
Re: [Developer]Miracelund. Unity wolfenstein 3D like RPG.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »
One thing is... how to distribute enemies/XP/treasure/quests.
Provide the player with positive reinforcement for "doing things".  Do it too infrequently, and they get bored.  Do it too often, and it becomes pointless.  The balance also depends on the specific mechanics.  Equipment drops in Diablo and finding new materia in FF7 are on totally different scales, but they both work.  Why is that?
I'm being flippant, but pose a vague problem, and get a vague solution.  The devil is in the details.
I am sure you are pro at tweaking stats.
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm not.  I can tell you when a game gets it right, but that's about it.

I would think there are textbooks on game design that would give you a decent introduction to that sort of thing.  Asking random people on the internet for input wouldn't be my first choice.
I used to play a lot of RPGs but in a recent decade I didn't play many games at all.

Uh-oh.

You wanna write a good book, you gotta read stuff.  You wanna paint a good picture, you gotta look at stuff.  If you want to make a good game, you should be sampling the state of the art.  From the style of your graphics, you should probably be looking at a lot of indie games.  They can do some extraordinary things with minimal resources, but it's a good bet they're paying attention to their competition.
So basically I need your tips and help on how to develop this RPG game.
Bluntly, that's not how the internet works.  If you ask specific questions, or want feedback on an alpha release, you might get some useful comments.  The internet loves to share its opinion.  The internet will help out when it can.  But the internet will not work for free.

My general advice: in order for a game to be successful, it should do at least one thing really well, and do nothing particularly badly.  Figure out what you can do well, and focus on that.

PompiPompi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
Thanks, you are right. My question was a bit vague.
It made me realize I need to think of the story/world first.
So I found this guide which was helpful in creating the story:
http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=18723.0

PompiPompi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 05:19:52 AM »
Making progress.
I have tried a new perspective.

PompiPompi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
So you can try the early initial pre alpha build here on the web(after realizing people no longer trust Execs in our age).
Arrow keys and A D to walk
Space to attack.
Mouse click to skip dialog and select yes/no.

http://www.pompipompi.net/SpaceShooter/