Author Topic: Shareable Anxiety Thread

Link00

• I Use My Powers for Evil! I Use Them Any Way I Want!
  • OUiSH
    • View Profile
    • BrettroCulture blog
Shareable Anxiety Thread
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
Greetings Programs!

I haven't been very active on these here forums for several reasons, mostly due the fact the most recent console I own is a Nintendo GameCube, which makes me a terrible novice to near-all the topics covered within this expansive hub. But, I'm looking to change that with the help of a good friend who manages and contributes to your glorious website. But first, a brief introduction is necessary to get this here forum thread rolling.

I've been a fan of popular geek culture near all my sentient life, from my beginnings as a humble viewer of Saturday morning cartoons to a brief span as the basement-dweller gamer of a local day-care to a paid intern of a news-blog specializing in movie and theater reviews. For most of a decade, film culture has been my passion. For the past 3 years, I've haunted the website http://www.letterboxd.com as a Contributor of movie reviews and journal entries, and racked up over 1700 diary entries on that website, of which over half constituted write-ups on films I viewed. But, since I've had to find gainful employment after I graduated college last April, I've found my attention slipping from my beloved pastime. Since February, I've only seen a handful of movies, often returning rentals un-perused by my voracious appetite for audio-visual aesthetic. Between January 2015 and December 2016, I racked up close to a thousand film journal entries. But I may be losing interest in what has been my main-stay since my latter years of high school.

So, I got to thinking: what could I fill my time with in the absence of such a hobby? And immediately I started researching and compiling a back-catalog of video games I have neglected to experience in my lifetime thusfar. I haven't been living under a proverbial rock in regards to the interactive dopamine distributors; as I briefly mentioned above there was a period of time when I practically owned a PS2 at a previous residence, and I try to keep up with my favorite series Fire Emblem on the portable Nintendos. I've been listening to Retro Encounter at work and some of their stuff has inspired my exploits. I just know that I have a large hole labelled SONY and Square in my backcatalog that needs rectifying. But that's when my impulsiveness started to get the better of me and lead me to writing this here bloated entry on your typically concise forums.

I made an attempt to close the gap in my lack of video-gaming xp by purchasing a used PS2 from eBay two weeks ago. Long story short, I bought a $75 electric doorstop. The system only read one of five games I bought for it, and there were numerous issues encountered when reading that one disc as well. DVDs were a terrible alternative, getting choppy and frantic the longer I tried to play them and justify ownership of this burden that is now mine (No returns accepted). This disheartened me, as it had cost me a fair portion of my paycheck to acquire this item and its uselessness gave my self-esteem and self-image a sucker punch. As a result, my anxiety regarding my new hobby went into a free-fall.

Pop psychology time! Basically, with my new hobby, I want as little chance of dead air as possible, so I wanted to take steps to ensure I have multiple avenues of gameplay open to me at most every opportunity. I currently own a NDS, a 3DS, a GameCube, and two equally monstrous, equally broken PCs via which I access my Steam library, as well as (reference to emulators removed). As you can see, I lack the ability and means to play Sony titles, so I want to catch up like a starving cartoon coyote. But, my impulsive behavior has come back to seed in recent days, and I've had three anxiety attacks regarding my new hobby, two just in the past 24 hours. I had to talk myself out of blind-buying a PS Vita off the baneful (e)Bay and I've resisted the urge to chuck the electric doorstop off my parents' deck. I feel I have been left behind in regards to video game culture and I want to dive right back in, but my first step landed me on my aching behind and I'm anxious about taking further steps. My goal is to be a well rounded connoisseur of all geek culture; having proficiency in the film sector, I feel I need to rectify my lack of video game experience. And it's driving me up the wall!

So, that's the extent of my crazed return to the RPGFan forums. I'm back all right, but I seem to need some counseling in terms of my future exploits. Cheers, and I look forward to interacting with y'all once I live with a full-time gamer geek come this summer.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:26:05 AM by Link00 »
I Am The Rocker! I Am The Roller! I am The Out-Of-Controller!
Remember me...
when you look at the night sky...

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Shareable Anxiety Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:09 PM »
Coupla things:

take a deep breath...

ok?

Now. Buy a working PS2.  Just suck it up and get another one. It is more or less agreed upon that the PS2 has churned out more quality rpg titles than any other system (plus it's actually backwards compatible with PS1 games, so you have even more options).

This very site has about a half dozen "Best of" features (conveniently located in the features section) that do a good job of covering a lot of the essentials.  Ignore all of the "editor's picks" lists (the depth and breadth of which might be a little overwhelming) and just go through the consensus lists.  Here are a few links to get you started:

games from 2000-2010 http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Top_20_RPGs_of_the_Last_Decade/index.html
Top 10 6th generation games (the link ought to explain the jargon, but this is the meaty part of the gaming curve) http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Best_of_6th_Gen/index.html
Old school top 20 http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Top_20_RPGs_of_the_90s/index.html

It doesn't sound like you are interested in anything from the 2010's, but if so, just ask around and I'm sure someone on here (much smarter and more eloquent than me) can point you in the direction of a few can't miss titles (the Mass Effect Trilogy is probably a good place to start).

Last thing though, unless you want to get yourself banned, that should be the first and last time you mention pirating games.  Emulators are sort of like speeding on the freeway around here, sure almost everyone does it from time to time, but it's probably best not to flaunt it in front of the mods.

Link00

• I Use My Powers for Evil! I Use Them Any Way I Want!
  • OUiSH
    • View Profile
    • BrettroCulture blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:24:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice, i'll keep it all in mind.

I'm-a waiting on that tax return to hit me up, so then I can decide between retreading the PS2 line or nabbing a Vita, so I can access both old and new Sony properties.

Being new around here, I still don't know certain by-laws, but I thank you jawsh for being brief but elaborate. Rock On!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:30:23 AM by Link00 »
I Am The Rocker! I Am The Roller! I am The Out-Of-Controller!
Remember me...
when you look at the night sky...

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
Oh! A PS Vita would be nice. They have most of the Suikoden games on there. Tons of playable fun hours with those games. Best of luck getting it when you get your tax return.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
Vita options include:

Every Persona game in the main series other than 5, plus a few of the spinoffs
Every Ys game except for V and VI (including VIII, later this year)
Every Danganronpa game (including V3, later this year)
Every Zero Escape game
Every Disgaea game up to 5
A large amount of the PSP's catalog (some of which I've already mentioned)
A host of PS1 RPGs, like most of the Square catalog that's on PSN
Mother****ing Powerstone 1 and 2

(Look I really love my Vita and support more people investing in one)