Media > Game Journals

Zelda 2 = RPG?

(1/2) > >>

Link00:
Welp, I feel like poking yer brains to see if anybody else could help me with this comparison/genre placement?

I'm playing through it for a personal journal entry, but I feel this is easily the closest thing to a Zelda RPG we've seen so far. Leveling system, check. Upgradeable items and stats, check. Overworld and battle/boss differentiation a la Final Fantasy, check.

If it looks like a Zelda, but plays like a FF, what could it be?

Thoughts? Viewpoints?

Rook:
Yea its pretty much a RPG. Zelda has never really been my thing and I actually liked Zelda 2 more than any other Zelda game.

I actually feel the same way about Mario games. My favorite Mario game is SMB2 which is the oddball (and not even a Mario game). 

Frostillicus:
Zelda 2 is a bit of an interesting beast, indeed. I'd consider it an action RPG, since dungeon exploration is akin to a side scroller. It's definitely more RPG-esque than any other title in the series. Last time I played it was probably around 25 years ago (feeling old now). Reminded me of Castlevania 2, except it doesn't suck quite as hard. Never finished it, so maybe I'll pick it up again someday soon...

Dice:
I'd argue Breath of the Wild and Zelda 2 are indeed RPGs.

...problem is does anyone truly adore Zelda 2 and really call it an amazing game?? :(

Then again I hate all this "is it/isn't it an RPG" because so many exception to the rules seem to exist.

Arvis:

--- Quote from: Dice on May 12, 2017, 02:48:58 PM ---I'd argue Breath of the Wild and Zelda 2 are indeed RPGs.

...problem is does anyone truly adore Zelda 2 and really call it an amazing game?? :(

Then again I hate all this "is it/isn't it an RPG" because so many exception to the rules seem to exist.

--- End quote ---

Your FACE is an exception to the rules. :)

Seriously, though, I don't think "what's an RPG" is really all that fuzzy: stat/number-based gameplay and character growth.  Simple.  And on that criteria, no Zelda title is an RPG.  What I know of Breath suggests its not an RPG either, but I have yet to play it myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version