Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327867 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 49779 times)
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »

I figured since Suikoden V was close to being released in North America that a thread should be started for like-minded individuals who wanted to discuss its arrival and various gameplay impressions.

Actually, I got blindsided by the release of March 21st. I thought it was the 28th, but most of the game retailers seem to be in unison on this one. The official NA Suikoden V webpage still says Spring 2006, so I can't be 100% sure.

The only con I can see to its possible release on the 21st is that Suikoden V is arriving the same time as Oblivion. Honestly, I didn't want to have to choose in between them, but Suikoden V wins the vote when it comes to which one will be played first. Otherwise, I'm really excited that it's so close.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »

I heard it was moved up to give it some padding from KH2.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »

Oblivion's a different market.  KH 2 is a killer though, it's like trying to release (x) RPG the same week a new Final Fantasy comes out.  Suikoden V would be lost in the shuffle.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »

This game had better have the main character, his rival, and 106 Vikis. No less will be acceptable.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »

That soon? This game looks amazing - even though I know few about it. Suikoden Tactics was also released in NA suddenly. It seems it is a Suikoden thing, or Konami's.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 03:58:01 PM »

I didn't think they would actually move it up a week from KH2. I'm glad that it will get to stand on its own instead it being overshadowed by a Square-related game.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »

Quote from: "TSG"
This game had better have the main character, his rival, and 106 Vikis. No less will be acceptable.

You DO realise how lost you'd be right? ^^;

Just imagine: 106 Vikis all sneezing at once during teleport.
Gorelab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 04:17:55 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Quote from: "TSG"

You DO realise how lost you'd be right? ^^;

Just imagine: 106 Vikis all sneezing at once during teleport.

For some reason that just makes me think of Chrono Trigger meets Suikoden, but a million times more random.

Anyways, looking at the media for this I have pretty high hopes, but I'm still waiting for reviews. After Suikoden IV I'm a bit wary.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 06:11:35 PM »

The suikoden games kind of lost their way for me after 2. Not that they were bad, but it's like they decided to only keep in some of the more superficial elements from game to game. Like the 108 stars theme and maybe connecting a few characters. I miss how they used to connect to the previous game(s) with more than just a returning character or 2. I hope 5 is good.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »

I can't really say I'm particularly excited for this one, but I'll pick it up nonetheless. I haven't really heard anything at all about this game...
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 08:14:55 PM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
The suikoden games kind of lost their way for me after 2. Not that they were bad, but it's like they decided to only keep in some of the more superficial elements from game to game. Like the 108 stars theme and maybe connecting a few characters. I miss how they used to connect to the previous game(s) with more than just a returning character or 2. I hope 5 is good.

I think they did a very good job of connecting 1 and 2 to 3 without recycling to many characters yet having a fair deal of the same faces appear such as:

Code:
Yuber, Luc, sasarai, lucia, star dragon sword, futch, tuta, wan-fu, landis and a few others.

It was also nice to see how the children and next generations of characters from 1 and 2 also joined you in 3 such as:

Code:
Sanae Y, Lilly, Sharon, Emily (ooulan's daughter most likly), Hugo etc.

I really cant say anything in 4 and Rhapsodia's defense, since they are just kind of out there and broke the harmony chain, but its great that 5 is going to rebuild the great thing they had going.

Edit: While the story element from 1 + 2 to 3 wasnt as riveting and as paramount as its predecessors, I felt that it accomplished what it was going for, such as a steady rise to power, the effect that the true runes have upon the world, the penultimate and mysterious powers that exist in harmonia and lament. The extra option to look at the story through anothers eyes after you beat it was also a very unique option, although I couldnt help but feel it was a somewhat lackluster apology for not really explaining true intent and emotion of the other side throughout the main campaign, unlike the relationships that were steady throughout the first 2
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 08:28:04 PM »

yeah, though I enjoyed the story in 3 there was parts of it that didn't quite capture the whole geo political thing going on in the previous 2 quite so well. There was so much more they could have done with zexen, the grasslands and harmonia in regards to their relationship with each other and their histories.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:52:22 PM »

I am personally very excited about Suikoden V especially at how obsessed I became witht he seires these days. Even IV was good, but really weak in comparison. It seems its going to its more traditional roots which I am lad about. Perhaps im hyping myself too much and it will kill me, but I intend to get this asap than I judge.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Kano

agate8@hotmail.com Ikage8 dragon_foulu
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 09:22:10 PM »

As soon as Friday hits next week I'm going to pick this one up, it looks sweet, and I hear it lives up to the true glory days of Suikoden 1 and 2.
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 12:40:55 AM »

I...Can't....WAIT!!!  Its going to be awsome, truly awsome.  I already got mine preordered, and am just waiting for the 21st to roll around.  I am glad it went down in price, too.  $40 instead of $50

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: