Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:10:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 50899 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 12:53:45 AM »

I'm playing the import to review on GAF currently.

I have to say, it's AWESOME. I like it more than 2 (which is one of my favorite games of all time). The characterization is brilliant, the characters are lovable, and the battles are great fun.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 01:15:32 AM »

I think I will one day have to play this now.  Which I wouldn't have said last week this time.  After I lost my original copy of Suikoden I, I didn't really want to pursue the rest of the series.  But since I have recently picked up both Suikoden I and II for 5.99 CAN each, well...  I was just going to sell them on eBay and make some extra spending moneys, but I started up the first one and wow, I forgot how fun it is, so...

Up in my neck of the woods, you can find Suiko III and IV everywhere for 20 bucks each, so it's not a big deal finding those ones.

And Ash, your ranting about how good the fifth one is has really sparked my interest.  You were right about Riviera, so.  :P

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 01:23:44 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I like it more than 2 (which is one of my favorite games of all time). The characterization is brilliant, the characters are lovable, and the battles are great fun.

Ooh.  Sounds nice.  Though I must say after Tactics that I'm a little concerned how the English voiceovers will turn out in V.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 02:52:41 AM »

I'm playing the import to review on GAF currently.

I have to say, it's AWESOME. I like it more than 2 (which is one of my favorite games of all time). The characterization is brilliant, the characters are lovable, and the battles are great fun.

Seriously, Ashton...if you're wrong, I'm flying down to your house to violently rape your family in front of you.

I am not kidding. I know where you live and I've seen where you sleep.

Edit: And if you're right...I'll take your dick in my mouth hourly for the rest of my life.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 05:22:45 AM »

Like Dade, I will cause you physical discomfort and lifelong shame in some way if you're wrong Ash.

Otherwise, <3.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »

Quote from: "Marona"
I think they did a very good job of connecting 1 and 2 to 3 without recycling to many characters yet having a fair deal of the same faces appear such as:

Code:
Yuber, Luc, sasarai, lucia, star dragon sword, futch, tuta, wan-fu, landis and a few others.

It was also nice to see how the children and next generations of characters from 1 and 2 also joined you in 3 such as:

Code:
Sanae Y, Lilly, Sharon, Emily (ooulan's daughter most likly), Hugo etc.

I'm going to be nitpicky because I'm a bad person:
Code:
Wan-Fu and Landis weren't returning characters at all. Wan-Fu had the same schtick going on as Rikimaru, and Landis as Sid, but they aren't the same people. Also, Emily was the daughter of Ronnie Bell and Mose, not Oulan, and Lilly isn't really 'second generation' as she appeared on her own in Suikoden II, albiet as a small child.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 11:20:07 AM »

Wow.

I just got to the point where the shit hits the fan in Suikoden V. Seriously, this game is GREAT. The heartstring pulling moments of Suikoden II can't even compare to this game. Some of the scenes are just completely fucking heartbreaking.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 11:43:31 AM »

Wow, that is sounding really good. So, er, do you need to have played the previous Suikoden games to enjoy Sui V? Does the story tie in to the other games like in, say, the Shadow Hearts games? I'm really tempted to pick this one up after hearing your favorable impressions, but I haven't played any of the older Suikoden games.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »

Aww, I gotta play through four games really quick now.  :(

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 12:52:34 PM »

I also played a little of the import meself, but unlike Ash, I have no understanding of Japanese and got too dialogue heavy so I am unable to progress. I tried a bit of the gameplay and it has similar mechanics to 2 and I did like how you can change diffeerent formations too which can make things a lot more interesting and can be fitting depending on the type of characters you use. Of course I have seen fottage of that part since I did not figure it out myself, so sue me :P

I think the gameplay will turn out very well and hearing what Ash has to say makes me excited more and im with Hidoshi and Dade on this one. Nothing but pain and sorrow awaits if im slighty dissapointed :p

Quote from: "Cauton"
Wow, that is sounding really good. So, er, do you need to have played the previous Suikoden games to enjoy Sui V? Does the story tie in to the other games like in, say, the Shadow Hearts games? I'm really tempted to pick this one up after hearing your favorable impressions, but I haven't played any of the older Suikoden games.

I feel that you can jump right into V and be able to enjoy it. What makesSuikoden interesting that all of the games tie together and share the same world and history. From what I read, V is a couple of years before the 1st so there will be some familiar faces. I do know Georg is in the game and as always Jeane and Viki will be around too.

My first Suikoden was II and I never played the previous one, but I freakin loved it and became one of my all time favorite RPG's. I feel that you can have a lot of enjoyment if you only played one Suikoden, you will just be missing out in a part of history if unable to play certain parts. Each game takes place in different nations and have idfferent leads so it can be easy to get to.

I reconmend you try the other Suikoden games if you so desire except for IV. I liked it, but I feel it is a bad idea to play that first. I think of it as a bad introduction to Suikoden noobs since the previous games are a lot deeper than IV and changed the gameplay around that break traditions for the worse. To me a SUikoden game must have 6 fighters and formations.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »

Wow.

I just got to the point where the shit hits the fan in Suikoden V. Seriously, this game is GREAT. The heartstring pulling moments of Suikoden II can't even compare to this game. Some of the scenes are just completely fucking heartbreaking.

SPOILER FOR SUIKO 2

Code:
Like Nanami dying heartbreaking?????? Seriously...that made me almost cry.

Edit: And as to if you need to play previous Suikodens to enjoy the most current one....yes. BUY THEM ALL FUCKER. SPEND HUNDREDS ON EBAY TO PLAY THEM ALL.....

Suikoden > Final Fantasy.

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 02:02:17 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
I reconmend you try the other Suikoden games if you so desire except for IV. I liked it, but I feel it is a bad idea to play that first. I think of it as a bad introduction to Suikoden noobs since the previous games are a lot deeper than IV and changed the gameplay around that break traditions for the worse. To me a SUikoden game must have 6 fighters and formations.

Thanks for the answer, I guess I should be able to play Suikoden V without being too much lost storywise, then. And I've wanted to try Suikden 1 & 2 for a long while, but I really haven't had enough money to buy them at the insane prices they fetch at eBay and the like. I'm not shelling out $120 for a used game, no matter how great it supposedly is.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
I'm not shelling out $120 for a used game, no matter how great it supposedly is.

I'm sorry you're not willing to pay for a game that litterally comes out of the TV, sucks you off, and then proceeds to tell you the best story ever.

And then it fucks you silly for weeks on end.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 02:24:56 PM »

I wouldn't pay that much for any of the Suikoden games either.  They're good, but not good enough to shell out an insane amount of money (and $120 for a used game qualifies as insane).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:13:14 PM »

SPOILER FOR SUIKO 2

Code:
Like Nanami dying heartbreaking?????? Seriously...that made me almost cry.

That scene really bugged me, especially since she never did anything to deserve that . :/

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: