Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 49766 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2006, 12:44:57 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Leyviur"
108 are recruitable, but not all of them participate in battle.
Bingo.

Sheesh, I'd think anyone who's familiar with the series would know by know that a good number don't join in battle. :P

Makes sense :P

Thanks.

I saw a bit of the game at my friends house the other day, and might I say that the beaver people are the coolest little things ever?
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2006, 12:54:27 AM »

Quote from: "Shadow"
Yeah, the thing that's amazing to me as I keep getting further in is that it doesn't just start epic and get smaller it keeping up the pace and it's doing a fabulous job of getting you emotionally invested in the characters and storyline.  This is what expect from Suikoden.

This is something I probably should have brought up in the "do storylines matter" thread (and I still may at some point): Suikoden is fairly effortless enjoyment. There isn't this horrible feeling that you need to grind to get anywhere. Your levels are usually good enough to get by. Of course, it doesn't /hurt/ to upgrade all the way, but you'll be okay even so. On top of that, fighting is painless. Auto-battle is perhaps the best feature ever introduced to an RPG, short of PS4's macro system (which I wouldn't mind seeing in a Suiko).

On top of that, it also doesn't make you feel like you're some tiny guy worming his way up. You ARE strong, you /have/ the ability. You just need to create the right circumstances to see justice done. That's what made Suiko I and II great games (some don't agree about I, but I enjoyed it fine). That's what's working for V.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2006, 07:21:07 AM »

This warrants a double post, merely because:

Godwins > Luca Blight

That is all.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2006, 07:49:55 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
This warrants a double post, merely because:

Godwins > Luca Blight

That is all.

Couldnt that be a small spolier?

I do have a small gripe so far and that is the speed at which the game moves. I can live with the insane amount of loading, but I feel like the game moves a little slow. Its almost like they were so happy with how it was turning out, they forgot to finish the engine!

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2006, 09:00:56 AM »

Nah, not at all a spoiler. You have to be there to get /why/ and how they prove it.

Also, I've talked about this before, but I don't think the game actually loads all that much compared to other RPGs. The thing is... The loading sprite makes it seem that way. We have a psychological association of loading sprites as being for 'long loads'. A visual distraction if you may. This has been true of Suikoden as well. However, because the sprite appears after each battle, that 2 second gap suddenly seems longer because our association comes into play.

And yes, I've timed it. The longest loading sequence in Suiko V has been 4 seconds. And that was when the castle levelled up.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2006, 09:42:53 AM »

After hearing so many bad things about 4, even from big fans of the series, that I didn't even bother with it I hadn't given 5 much thought. Now you've all got me hyped for it again. Or you did anyway,

Godwins > Luca Blight

then I realized konami had to be paying all of you.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »

Wow wow! Ok, I will make an effort to buy it now, before any price droppings! That game must be amazing!
That just proves developers would piss us far less if they did not try to innovate too much their great and beloved series.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2006, 02:24:44 PM »

i just saw this game at the store today and was like WTF this game is out already XD. sadly i only had $20 on me so i got a copy of dragon warrior 8 for $10 i think i made out like a bandit. :o

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »

Godwins > Luca Blight

Ah, wow, I simply cannot hold back anymore.

Hmm, Suikoden.

Well, disregarding the expected pre and post-release rabid fanboism, I believe really what it comes down to specifically is what you're a fan of. Different strokes for different folks, as always.

Allow me to be blunt. Before I'm a fan of final fantasy, or a fan of tales of (etc...) or a fan of suikoden for that matter (where console games are concerned), I'm a fan of 2D on a console game first and foremost. And jrpgs being limited to the amount of freedom as they usually are (something I might add has never been problematic for me) allows me to trace down other aspects of a games qualities that I might consider appealing, especially towards the factor of replayability.

In my opinion, it's not possible for a newer suikoden game to be better then suikoden 1 or 2, or for a suikoden game (as noted above) to 'play' like a suikoden game unless it were to fully resemble it's playstation 1 counterparts.

For me, suikoden is as seen on playstation 1, and will always be. The flowing crimson sky as war erupts, caped squirrels springing forth through the thick of trees, and combination/rune demonstrations which defy logic in combat, tailored to detail a fine 2D environment.

But, I suppose for any who are suikoden fans, 5 will be a blissful basket of puppies to wrap your grubby hands around if your tastes include ps2 jrpgs. I am personally, slowly tolerating 5. I just cannot, adjust to the 3D models. I feel strained after an hours worth of playing at most. And I should note, 5 has a 9-12 hour prologue which is necessary to the story. And random encounters have about a 10 second loading time between initation to battle start, then a short loading time afterwards. The loading times for random encounters can get a little annoying if you don't want to fight all the time. Just a warning.

And as with most suikoden games. A strategy guide is usually a requirement if you want the whole 108 stars of destiny. As it's not my idea of fun to go exploring every nook and cranny again and again after each and every event, and as such, I'd prefer having my own reasons for wanting to replay a game just as how I prefer to have my own reasons for playing a game in the first place.

I realize in times of quality deprivation it's easy to succumb to even the most mediocre of games. But please, for the sake of sainty, ease up on the guerilla marketing guys will you?
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »

Well... im not exactly sure what point your trying to get across to us Cosapi, but allow me to attempt to analyze the tangible points of your post if I may.

"I'm a fan of 2D on a console game first and foremost. In my opinion, it's not possible for a newer suikoden game to be better then suikoden 1 or 2, or for a suikoden game (as noted above) to 'play' like a suikoden game unless it were to fully resemble it's playstation 1 counterparts."

Thats all fine and dandy if you enjoy 2D and nostalgia, but what good will that do if your idea of perfection is 2D this day and age when technology is continually advancing? and yes a suikoden game never will be as good as 1 and 2 if your blindly stereotyping and judging suikoden 3+ just because they dont bring back your nostalgia. A game should be judged upon its own merits and not because of poppycock like "oh its not suikoden 1 or 2, forget it", how would you like it if you were judged only by what your parents have accomplished and not yourself?

But, I suppose for any who are suikoden fans, 5 will be a blissful basket of puppies to wrap your grubby hands around if your tastes include ps2 jrpgs. I am personally, slowly tolerating 5. I just cannot, adjust to the 3D models. I feel strained after an hours worth of playing at most. And I should note, 5 has a 9-12 hour prologue which is necessary to the story. And random encounters have about a 10 second loading time between initation to battle start, then a short loading time afterwards.

Yes you are correct. Suikoden 5 is a "blissful basket of puppies" because the game is incredible upon its own merits and yes I am a fan of ps2 jrpgs because im not stuck in the 1990's. Im sorry that 3d is such a matter of taboo for you, but you are incorrect about the loading times as Hidoshi pointed out - the longest loading time measured was 4 seconds which is fairly light. Maybe you should take the Suikoden 5 disk out of your Playstation 1.

"And as with most suikoden games. A strategy guide is usually a requirement if you want the whole 108 stars of destiny. As it's not my idea of fun to go exploring every nook and cranny again and again after each and every event, and as such, I'd prefer having my own reasons for wanting to replay a game just as how I prefer to have my own reasons for playing a game in the first place."

Your contradicting yourself here because you stated that "all suikoden games are bad because I cant figure out how to recruit all of the stars" when your supposed to have nothing but roses for suikoden 1 and 2 and sour grapes for 3+. and if your not resourceful enough to find them all yourself it isnt the games fault.

"I realize in times of quality deprivation it's easy to succumb to even the most mediocre of games. But please, for the sake of sainty, ease up on the guerilla marketing guys will you?"

ahh...ummm what was that..... I cant really understand you here.... err...ummm....WHAT?

Edit: Why did you even buy and play the game when you KNEW that you werent going to like it and then complain about it? Thats like sticking your hand in an open fire and then complaining that your hand is burned.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »

Quote from: "cosapi"
Godwins > Luca Blight

BLAH BLAH BLAH

On and on with blatant "I HATE FANBOYS CAUSE THEY MAKE GAMES GAY! SO I WILL HATE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT THE ORIGINAL" WAH WAH WAH

I'm sad to see you breathing. It's too bad you cant just give games a shot based on what they are and not based on what came before.

In fact...I dont think you're worth shit cause you're not your dad. And your goatee just looks godawful compared to your grandfather's moustache.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2006, 06:34:21 PM »

Quote from: "cosapi"
I think I'm special.

I think you should probably NOT go into the thread of a game you dislike so fervently.

Then again, it IS funny to see people make complete idiots out of themselves.

Also, I want you to know I didn't read whatever you wrote, because I was sure it would be complete drivel that wasn't worth my time.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2006, 07:18:18 PM »

Damn it. Now I have to buy this. I've never played SI or II, and now that I know that this game is the same calibur at least, I can't pass this up.

NEED. MONEY. NOW.
cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2006, 08:13:38 PM »

I didn't need a reminder of what the videogame demographic has become.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

Okay folks, looking at the last few replies, it appears I need to come in and make one of the rules clear:

The "cranky and jaded old gamer" schtick is mine and mine only.

Remember that.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: