Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335293 Posts in 13728 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 51531 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2006, 09:49:24 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Okay folks, looking at the last few replies, it appears I need to come in and make one of the rules clear:

The "cranky and jaded old gamer" schtick is mine and mine only.

Remember that.

Hahaha. :P

Personally, cosapi, while I think you're really misisng out if you continue to expect that style from newer games, your post was... Largely fine. But the second post pissed me off. That elitist "HUR HUR GAMERS TODAY ALL SUCKS" stance is bullshit. :P

I could rant about 2D/3D, but that's way off topic. I'll just say that, juding by SuikIII and IV, that the Suikoden series has done the worst job of moving to 3D.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2006, 10:07:13 PM »

Quote from: "cosapi"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Godwins > Luca Blight

Ah, wow, I simply cannot hold back anymore.

Hmm, Suikoden.

<snip>

Allow me to be blunt. Before I'm a fan of final fantasy, or a fan of tales of (etc...) or a fan of suikoden for that matter (where console games are concerned), I'm a fan of 2D on a console game first and foremost. And jrpgs being limited to the amount of freedom as they usually are (something I might add has never been problematic for me) allows me to trace down other aspects of a games qualities that I might consider appealing, especially towards the factor of replayability.

In my opinion, it's not possible for a newer suikoden game to be better then suikoden 1 or 2, or for a suikoden game (as noted above) to 'play' like a suikoden game unless it were to fully resemble it's playstation 1 counterparts.

For me, suikoden is as seen on playstation 1, and will always be. The flowing crimson sky as war erupts, caped squirrels springing forth through the thick of trees, and combination/rune demonstrations which defy logic in combat, tailored to detail a fine 2D environment.

But, I suppose for any who are suikoden fans, 5 will be a blissful basket of puppies to wrap your grubby hands around if your tastes include ps2 jrpgs. I am personally, slowly tolerating 5. I just cannot, adjust to the 3D models. I feel strained after an hours worth of playing at most. And I should note, 5 has a 9-12 hour prologue which is necessary to the story. And random encounters have about a 10 second loading time between initation to battle start, then a short loading time afterwards. The loading times for random encounters can get a little annoying if you don't want to fight all the time. Just a warning.

<snip>

I realize in times of quality deprivation it's easy to succumb to even the most mediocre of games. But please, for the sake of sainty, ease up on the guerilla marketing guys will you?

You sir, need to reorganise your priorities. Not only is the above completely ridiculous, it isn't based on reason. It's just stubbornness for the sake of being stubborn. It's akin to saying that because Brunelleschi discovered perspective, he ruined the art world and shit was only ever really good during the time of Illuminated Manuscripts. Sure those were gorgeous to look at, but the fact is Da Vinci and his fellow Renaissance men created works of equal value to those preceding them. The technology had improved, and it opened new doorways. You could incorporate elements of the old with the new.

Inherently, the medium does not necessarily lend more meaning to the work, nor does it draw away from it. It is merely an application of a style. Suikoden can be for better or worse even without graphics. The fact is that this work is particularly reliant not on visuals, but on the construction of its gameplay and the drama of its characters, both of which are finely represented in the latest instalment. No Suikoden before has had as many minigames, as well constructed a duelling or war system, nor as tightly woven a cast.

Move with the times sir. Move with the times. You're looking at the wrong things in Suikoden. If you can't keep an open mind about graphics, you're not going to be able to enjoy anything in RPGs.

As to your 'technical' considerations. I was bugged by the loading time as well. So I took a stopwatch to it. The average loading time in is 2 seconds. The average loading time out is 2 seconds. That's 4 seconds of loading time total, which is not at ALL a problem. As discussed beforehand, the only real reason the game feels like it's loading more is that running sprite that comes after battle. We have a visual association with loading graphics as denoting a long load time. So although the reality is-- y'know, fuck it. Just read up.

And what the hell is this about a 9 hour prologue? If you mean the trip to Lordlake, that takes perhaps a half hour at most. Even then, it can't be called a "prologue" largely because it allows you to play through the scenario. After that, the rest of it IS the story, including the Sacred Games and so forth.

Quote from: "Raze"
After hearing so many bad things about 4, even from big fans of the series, that I didn't even bother with it I hadn't given 5 much thought. Now you've all got me hyped for it again. Or you did anyway,

Godwins > Luca Blight

then I realized konami had to be paying all of you.

Only in love, good sir. Only in love.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2006, 11:36:36 PM »

I didn't need a reminder of what the videogame demographic has become.

The only thing wrong with the current videogame demographic is people like you, who can't just enjoy games anymore, instead opting to bitch and moan more than an emo kid on weed.

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2006, 01:59:20 AM »

Just curious if anyone had read the Fan's review.
It's been up since yesterday, so I don't know why they haven't linked it to the main page yet.

And if this is old news (for some reason...), just ignore this :P
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2006, 03:00:54 AM »

I didn't need a reminder of what the videogame demographic has become.

I'm glad your whole two posts on this message board have resulted in you looking like a complete fucking retard.

Please....continue. We have't had anyone around of your calibur for a long time. But the way you handle yourself....well you're just a bad knockoff of Conformer. Cept your 3D graphics are AWESOMER.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2006, 03:27:18 AM »

It's not old news. I wasn't even aware it had been put up. Shows how much attention I pay, eh?
Kano

agate8@hotmail.com Ikage8 dragon_foulu
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2006, 07:03:27 AM »

Well, I got this game back on Friday, so far its very good, reminds me a lot of the classic Suikoden in terms of how the views are directed and such, but I think its all for the better.  I've put a hefty amount of time into the game and I still haven't made a dent in it, which is pretty crazy but also shows me a lot is in store.  Overall to me I think this is the best Suikoden they have brought to us yet, likeable characters, engaging storyline, something I didn't really see since Suikoden 3.  Between this and Shadow Hearts, I should be kept occupied in my free time.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2006, 08:50:39 AM »

Well, I've been convinced.  I was planning on waiting on this one, but...

1) Metal Saga isn't going to be in my possession for a couple months (buying it off Play-Asia since I'm in Asia and they're convenient).

2) I noticed a seller I trust is selling Suikoden 5 for a reasonable price on EBay.

3) I have enough money in my Paypal account for a game purchase.

The loading times worry me (I've become less and less tolerant of loading times as my free time becomes sparser), but I enjoyed the first game, loved the second game, and thought the third game was decent (but way too repetitive) so I went ahead and ordered #5.  Villain better than Luca Blight (one of the greatest RPG villains of all time)?  I'm skeptical, but willing to be proven wrong.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »

Even though I haven't read any of the pages since like.. 4 or 5.

I did pick it up eventually.  I don't care about the bonus.

This game is teh win.  I'm only 6 hours into it and I can't recall when the last time 6 hours in a console rpg went this fast.  I really like it, though it has some technical flaws that im sure has been mentioned.  But I got over them.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »

I just picked up Suikoden V last night. It starts off a little slow, you don't do a whole lot in the first few hours, but once you get going, it's easily one of the best RPGs released as of late. Looking forward to playing later tonight and advancing further.

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2006, 01:33:40 AM »

It really just keeps getting better. There's a huge amount of things to do, especially once you get your headquarters, and the story just keeps on mounting. I honestly do believe this game may be one of my favourite RPGs of all time now.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2006, 01:53:52 AM »

I shuld really give my 2 cents at this point. This game is great though it was a rough start to me. The begining was certainly interesting here and there, but found most of the stormfist arc personally boring. Eventually I am having a blast. Personally I find it a tiny bit below II thus far, but it easily surpassed III and IV (never played I). I thought a lot of the characters are great and many of them do have fleshed out personalities as unlike IV where 90% of the characters are very thin and get little idea of how they are and I can feel the same way about III though to a lesser extent.

Things are coming along nicely and I wind up playing it more and more. Today I played this straight from noon (around when I woke up) all the way until 11:30pm so that tells you something eh? I left it on here and there and slowed down when I eated, but I did not shut it down till that time.  I am enjoying myself just going on a recruiting spree training and going through the story.

For those that did not check it out yet, why the hell not??

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2006, 05:34:07 AM »

I will say this: The game is fairly ho-hum until Stormfist's games are at a close. Then you start with "OMG OMG OMG" stage of things, which keeps building and building and building...

Honestly this is probably one of the best structured RPGs I've ever played in terms of storyline v. game mechanics. They don't reward you all in one pile, and the amount of things you can do expands and expands, scenario after scenario. Of course, recruiting as many people helps, but there's also only so many stars which appear at once. Some like Dongo and Jeane become indespensible, others like Linfa and Egbert are just darned fun to have around. The nice part is, none of the characters are bland. The closest they come to that is a certain drunkard, and heck, he's a DRUNKARD.

One thing I'm slightly confused about is the baths.

Code:
I've had one special scene and that was Lyon and Sialeeds having their moment referring to the sacred springs rite with Haswar. Funny and all, and I'd like more scenes like that. I'm just not sure how to trigger 'em. Anyone have any ideas? Also, is there any way to say, place statues or pots/plants in the baths? I haven't found out.

Additionally, fishing has to be one of the best minigames ever. It's not really because of the game mechanics, but the hilarious dialogue that ensues between the characters. Lotsa good times there. I'm sure Stelas agrees, don'tcha Stel? ^~

Now... As to fishing:

Code:
They talked about rare fish and all that. How the heck do you catch any special fish besides the bloody "Huchen" that takes an arm and a leg to reel in?

And one more question for someone who might know about Retso and Shun Min:

Code:
I know you have to give fish eggs to Shun Min and ingredients to Retso. Where the fuck do I find this stuff? Help plz. Thx.
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I will say this: The game is fairly ho-hum until Stormfist's games are at a close. Then you start with "OMG OMG OMG" stage of things, which keeps building and building and building...

Very true.

I am now a few hours past that point, and now I am really starting to relate to all the people saying that they've had 8 hour+ sittings with this game. Once you get drawn into this game, you won't have any desire to stop playing.

cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2006, 04:41:09 PM »

Actually, I've nothing against newer games. Or the concept thereof. There is however a distinct lack of appreciation for different forms of media these days. And that is what I have issues with.

I simply prefer the appropriate as opposed to the unnecessary.

And speaking of unnecessary, the load times are 10 seconds per random battle. From the moment your character ceases movement, till the combat menu appears. 10 seconds, time it yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: