Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 49765 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2006, 03:42:08 AM »

They do indeed...

Code:
Several of the choices you make can open up the 'bad' endings. There's seven of them, including the one where you side with the Barows.
Gorelab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2006, 11:50:41 AM »

Neat. Heh. I might have to replay just to see all the ways I can screw up the Queendom.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »

Well, I had a chance to try this game tonight.  My impressions so far.

The graphics can look really good when they want to (i.e. in story sequences).  However, most of the time, the camera is inappropriately positioned and it ends up looking more like Legaia 2: Dual Saga than anything else.  You can zoom the camera in and out, but you can't actually change the angle which would help a great deal.

I don't like the song that plays in the intro movie, but other than that, the music is quality.  Not quite as good as Digital Devil Saga, but close.

Loading times are just long enough to be annoying, but not long enough to be unplayable.  5-8 seconds to start a battle might not seem like much, but after playing the SMT games and having battles start almost instantaneously (and look better than Suikoden 5 on top of that), it is annoying.

I started to panic when I chose the fast text speed and saw how slow it was, but then I realized there was an instant text speed option and all was good again.

The dub is really great.  Right up there with DDS & DQ8 in quality, maybe even better.

I can see where all the love for this game is coming from.  I've only played about 2 hours so far and the story rocks: plot, setting, and characters are all superb.  I've heard that I'm at the least interesting part of the game which is exciting, because I think the story is already excellent.

Gameplay, on the other hand, appears to be fairly standard old school Suikoden.  Not awesome, but certainly not bad either.

So yeah, it's really premature to be giving scores already, but I'm going to do it just for fun.

Graphics: 83% (Varies from 70% to 95% so I decided to just go right down the middle).

Audio: 95% (Great music combined with one of the best videogame dubs ever).

Story: 100% (For someone who is as gameplay centered as me, the fact that I found the game highly entertaining when I was running around and doing little more than triggering story sequences for the majority of the 2 hours I played is saying a lot).

Gameplay: 80% (Really hard to say at this point since I've only been in like 6 fights and messed around with the menus some.  Seems competent.  It has the Suikoden 1&2 feel to it for sure.  Docked for load times and the inability to adjust the camera appropriately - makes it hard to maneuver at times).

Overall: 92% (Although Suikoden 2 may have been a better game at the time it came out, I think I'd say Suikoden 5 is the better game in a straight head-to-head comparison if only because of the quality of the story).

Juan_Blue

Bluejuan85@aol.com Bluejuan85@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »

I have it from Gamefly but i haven't bought it yet. I am thinking of buying it but I'll wait until my check comes in then I can finally press that "Keep It' button.

Currently Playing:
Call of Duty 4 (PS3), Persona 3: FES (PS2), Tales of Eternia (PSP)

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2006, 11:15:19 AM »

Do the paintings/statues have any other use than selling for money? I mean, is there some sidequest I've screwed up, or some character I won't be able to recruit, by selling all the paintings I've come across so far?
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »

Paintings and things you appraise in the Suiko games usually have two uses:

1) decorate your bath when you get it up and running.
2) a particular painting will help you recruit your "Appraiser" in this game.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2006, 03:25:49 PM »

In this case there's some changes. You no longer decorate the bath, but you /can/ put paintings, pots, and sculptures around your castle and in your room. Check pedestals and odd-looking walls for options.

Code:
And yes, you get your appraiser by getting the ?Painting and going to Haud. Ask Bastan to try and appraise it and he'll join you. However, the occurrence is somewhat random, so just enter/leave his shop when you try to get him until the event occurs.

Some areas to start: Your room, and the two pedestals near the kitchen in your castle can all take decorations.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2006, 05:38:35 PM »

Thanks for the info, guess I haven't messed anything up (yet), then. I'm already using that specific appraiser for all my ?items, so I guess I'll just have to be patient.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2006, 06:47:59 PM »

I am glad I did not start Minstrel Song on the weekend. I just got Suikoden V in the mail today, and I have the rest of the week off - from college at least - so I am drowning into it - today or at most tomorrow - expecting it is as amazing as you said it is.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2006, 10:38:26 PM »

All I can say is beautiful.  Easily the best Suikoden game made.  Well it and two are kinda side by side.  Ive beaten the game once without all 108, and im only a few away from all 108 on my second play through.

I find that I can play it and not get bored, even the second time through.  The game still seems to be enjoyable, I love trying different unit combinations in the strategic battles, and running around leveling various characters to see who has abilities and whatnot I enjoy losing.

And the fishing minigame is easily the funnest of all the minigames save for the cooking minigame.

If anyone is doubting wether or not to pick it up, do it.  Forget about what you thought of IV and III, you will enjoy if not love this game.

*end of fanboyish rant*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2006, 01:31:40 AM »

Alright, so I'm starting to get freaked out a bit. I just got to the point where I can really start recruiting people (at the Barrows Mansion), but every single person that I've talked to with a little portrait in their text box doesn't seem to want to join me (The two chef people in Raftfleet, the doctor guy, the people in Lordlake, etc). I mean, right now it's just me and Lyon, and it really isn't all that much fun just playing as those two.

Can someone reassure me that I can't recruit a lot of people at this point? Or have I already majorlyfucked up? :P
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2006, 03:23:06 AM »

You can't recruit much (in fact, I only remember one person being recruitable at that moment). It'll mainly be the main characters popping in and out of the party for a bit.

And I'm with the others above that said this is even better than II. I just finished a major plot point about 2/3rds of the way through (or at least, it seems about that far into it), and wow. This game rocks. I think it may be my favorite game of this entire generation of consoles.

-G1
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2006, 10:42:14 AM »

I played for about 90 minutes yesterday. Seems promising, but unfortunately I was too tired before midnight to keep playing it. I plan on playing a bit more today.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2006, 11:23:02 AM »

Not too far in, but it does have me hooked.

But, man the controls. Equipment swapping is awkward and I don't think I will ever get used to the cursor not reseting to attack for the next character after I've entered a comand for the one before him.
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2006, 02:19:52 PM »

suikoden series ..one of my faverat games ...i wos looking forward  to this game ...with so many thing sied quasts..and characters ....find!ofcause my faverat suikoden is II ......befor suikpden V Release some firends of my mistaken suikoden Tactics for V...fools ......they think they know everything ..
i sad to tham how come a game is not release to japan and you guys have it.......stupit fools.........HAHAH..

god is god
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: