Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 03:52:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 52100 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2006, 02:35:35 PM »

1. Fix your spelling/grammar. Those ellipses are damned annoying and you need to start capitalising your letters.

2. Clarify what the hell you mean already. You keep doing this vague crap.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2006, 02:38:41 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"
Not too far in, but it does have me hooked.

But, man the controls. Equipment swapping is awkward and I don't think I will ever get used to the cursor not reseting to attack for the next character after I've entered a comand for the one before him.

Yeah, the interface is undoubtedly one of Suikoden V's biggest flaws. Managing equipment for your dozens of characters become a huge pain, especially as the Storage interface is horrible. There's no reason at all that I shouldn't be able to access the storage directly from the equipment screen when I'm in the HQ. Having to transfer items back and forth is time consuming and boring as hell.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2006, 03:22:48 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"

But, man the controls. Equipment swapping is awkward and I don't think I will ever get used to the cursor not reseting to attack for the next character after I've entered a comand for the one before him.

Yeah, I'm not fond of the menu system on this game.  The cursor moves slowly when you're scrolling through items, it takes way too many button presses to use medicine, etc.

It says a lot about the quality of the game when that's the only complaint I have.  Besides the first four hours being boring as hell, that is. :P

My favorite part of the whole thing is the "bad" ending, which was just completely hilarious to me.  I'm not sure I want to go back and get all the stars, because that ending was satisfying enough. :P

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2006, 06:02:37 PM »

Not being able to rotate the camera pissed me off. I don't think the camera work is good enough to negate me this possibility. At least in the beginning of the game; I hope I will get used to it soon.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2006, 09:02:37 PM »

You gotta love Lyon, she can be sweet, she can be mean, she can be cute, she can be vicious.  A great mirror to pul with the main guy, and a great voice since he doesn't say anything at all.

Is it just me, or do some parts of the game feel ...unfinished?
I love the game, but it feels like more could have been done to improve what it had as well.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2006, 11:16:27 PM »

Thanks for the info Ghaleon. I got a bit further today, and am glad that I actually have party members to call my own now :P

Just a quick question about the attack ranges of your party members. I understand the whole deal with the accuracy decreasing, but I'm a little confused as to which of the little formation square things are considered S, M, and L. Is the first row of squares S, the middle two M, and the last row L?

If someone could clarify, then that would be great.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2006, 11:53:40 PM »

Just started this game today...  I've never enjoyed one of these games, hope this one changes that. :)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2006, 12:03:08 AM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
Thanks for the info Ghaleon. I got a bit further today, and am glad that I actually have party members to call my own now :P

Just a quick question about the attack ranges of your party members. I understand the whole deal with the accuracy decreasing, but I'm a little confused as to which of the little formation square things are considered S, M, and L. Is the first row of squares S, the middle two M, and the last row L?

If someone could clarify, then that would be great.

Pretty much what you said is on the money. An M can still do the job from back or front, but they're best where their range says they should be: The Middle. S fighters should always take front line, or their accuracy goes /way/ down. L is useful anywhere, but since L's tend to be lower on defence and HP, stick 'em in the back and make them spell users.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2006, 02:55:34 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"

Pretty much what you said is on the money. An M can still do the job from back or front, but they're best where their range says they should be: The Middle. S fighters should always take front line, or their accuracy goes /way/ down. L is useful anywhere, but since L's tend to be lower on defence and HP, stick 'em in the back and make them spell users.

Cool beans.

Thanks, bud :P
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »

The cursor moves slowly when you're scrolling through items

If you use the D pad it tends to be a little bit faster in moving through your menu lists.(I hated the analogs slowness as well)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »

I tend to use the D-pad for everything menue based, including turn based battle systems such as this. I don't know, I just find it a lot more natural feeling, if that makes any sense at all.

And as far as menu scrolling, if you hold down the cursor, it'll start to pick up speed the longer you hold it. Although, that takes time too, so I just button mash whenever I need to find a certain item :P
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »

Just won my first field battle. Is that the end of the so called prologue? It took me 11:30 hours.
Anyway, being no newcomer to the series - I have played the first 3 - I know it is from this point on that the game will really shine, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.
The major complaint about the game is surely they high encounter rate, which is a bit higher than what would be plain annoying. Gladly the battles are short.
As I said before, the camera work is also pretty bad, and indeed navigation is pretty slow. Another negative point is that so far the game has been a breeze; being using auto battle the whole time, but I am sure things will pick from now on.
However, the story seems pretty interesting and engaging, and minus some typical annoying JRPG characters, so far they are good.
The one thing that does not shine at all in the game is the soundtrack. It is pretty mediocre, and so far all start to annoy me after a couple minutes.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2006, 11:25:24 PM »

Two things I'm really liking, the expanded enterouge and battle formations. No more getting a party together and having members kicked because a story character wants to join. And it's big enough to have other uses too, like bringing a character along to level to see if they're any good and having someone else to bring in if you find out they're not. Or I can bring extras with me to replace a mage after they're burned out.

Formations break the old suikoden party limitations and it's cool that they each come with their own special commands and passive abilities. They seem to be making me want to try other setups too...I want a heavily armored knight to take point and 5 archer's for the archery formation. Unfortunantly since I don't even have my base yet I don't have even one of either :P
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2006, 02:10:36 AM »

well, I just started this tonight, having finished Oblivion earlier today.

I'm about 2 hours in and I find myself thoroughly engrossed. I love all of the characters so far, they are just so full of life and personality, and the VA really is excellent.

I'm ready to declare it a better game than Suikoden III already, as I didn't really "get into" that game until around the 20 hour mark.

Maybe I'm pre-judging this game too much, or giving it too much credit.. but I never thought this would suck me in as much as it has already.

Am I strange or what? .
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2006, 02:33:33 AM »

Not strange at all!

I'm ready to declare it better than Suikoden II (which is much better than Suikoden III, even though i loved the hell out of it).

Pre-judging? Yeah, but it's the correct judgement.

Edit: One thing I really have to say that I love about this game: every character I have come across so far.....has some sort of story and/or reason for joining.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: