Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 06:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332012 Posts in 13600 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden V  (Read 50797 times)
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2006, 09:01:21 AM »

I can't remember Norden's purpose for joining. I think I read that part too fast, apparently he did something disgraceful. Can anyone tell me what it was he did?

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »

Code:
Norden joins because of what happened in Lordlake. He was ordered by Salum to help stir up trouble and incite the rebellion, and he regretted his decision since it led to the death of the town's lord as well as the use of the Sun rune.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »

Code:
Actually, he was ordered by Euram, not Salum. His stirring up the rebellion also resulted in the ravaging of the East Palace and the theft of the Dawn Rune.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2006, 10:35:52 PM »

I have to give this game some credit for doing something no other game could. They made a fishing mini game that I don't absolutely hate. Not complex enough for it to have any lasting appeal or anything I don't think, but I'm actually enjoying it.

Though I guess you could say they cheated though since they removed the two basic elements that make fishing what it is. Slow and boring :P
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2006, 02:01:23 AM »

Personally, I think the game Fuyo (the girl with glasses in Oboro's group) plays with you is one of the most addicting mini-game's I've played in an RPG. It's fairly simple, but I spent two hours playing it the other night.

-G1
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2006, 10:48:13 AM »

I'm still a big fan of BOF III and Ocarina of Time fishing. :P

CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2006, 11:33:53 PM »

Just got this last week, and managed to put 21 hours into it, and I must say, I'm a tiny bit disapointed. My favorite in the series was III(never played I or IV), and this seems like a downgrade in a lot of areas, one of them being the presentation. Over-all, the game really did seem unfinished, like Dice said. From the moment I saw the intro, I was like "Ohhh, ohhhh..."(I hated that song...what happend?). III also was more pleasing to the eyes from for me, since the characters here are....VERY small, and backgrounds not so interesting(except for a few places). The story is very good though, and makes me forget all about the first impression I had.

Once again though, I'm not really liking this cast(Again, I liked III's cast more), except for a few characters(Kyle FTW!). I can go on forever about what I don't like(interface, battles, world etc), but I still find myself loving this game, and playing it to death. I guess II&III won't ever be beaten(in my mind anyways). I do have a small question: at 20+hours in, I haven't recruited a lot of people. Maybe it's because I didn't look hard enough, but is there a way to actually miss people and never be able to recruit them again? I would sure hate that....

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »

I can't say I haven't thought about it being a downgrade. All the complaining that people, myself included, talk about how RPGs aren't going anywhere here suikoden V goes back to it's roots and I absolutely love the game. I feel dirty :P

I DO have to give suikoden III credit for presentation though, save for the lack of voices. Even if the graphics weren't all that great the cutscenes were visually all very well...directed if that's the right word for a game.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2006, 11:45:15 PM »

Yes, there's a lot of people in the game that you can miss.

I don't like how Suikoden III gives less of a "travelling" feel to the game by not having a world map. Maybe it's a small detail to some, but I find that to enhance the feeling that the war is a really big thing.

I still feel the need to complain about V's loading times, though... You could say that it only takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds to go into battle, and then once again after that, but if you added it up, it'd be like 2 or 3 hours just waiting for the command menus to appear. Also, does anybody get a really long loading time when you access the formation section of the menu?
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2006, 12:19:14 AM »

Don't know what you mean by "really long", but there is a very annoying pause. The loading didn't bother me at first, but where I'm at right now, it is annoying as hell. The fights themselves are boring, so the loading does not help. I'm still shocked about this fact, considering SMT:Nocturne and DDS both look a hell of a lot better, and feature almost no loading before and after fights. About the world map, I have to agree with Hathen. It did make the game feel less epic, and in a way, smaller. But besides that, I loved that game.

On my question though, that sucks that I can miss people, because I feel like I have already....is the other ending really all that bad? Don't want to start over....

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2006, 12:29:33 AM »

Supposedly, there are 11 different endings.. I doubt I'm going to get all of the stars my first trip through, so hopefully the ending I get will be satisfying.

As for the characters, I like them all better than Suikoden III's characters... so I guess I differ somewhat in opinion from some folks. I missed the world map and am definitely glad that it is back. For me, III didn't get interesting until the 20 hour mark, as most of the pre-war politics in that story bored me to tears.

I'm about 12 hours into Suikoden V, and I can't wait to play more. Loading times are somewhat annoying and will get slightly worse once I get tired of the running sprites that were present in I and II.

As for the graphics, I think they are quite a bit better than the ones in Suikoden III, which had fairly robotic moving characters in my opinion, and they looked much more polygonal in most cases.

However, I do agree that III's presentation was better, at least in some places, and I also could have gone for a controllable camera angle for both the world and field maps, that would make things more pleasant, but these are really minor complaints, imho.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »

For loading put Viki in your entourage. It won't solve the problem, but it WILL give you a 2d Viki porting all over the screen to distract you :P
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2006, 12:59:42 AM »

Quote from: "Raze"
For loading put Viki in your entourage. It won't solve the problem, but it WILL give you a 2d Viki porting all over the screen to distract you :P

hehe thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind when I get her
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2006, 01:21:02 AM »

For the question about the endings, yes, there's 11 endings, 7 of which are premature ends which are obviously bad. The other 4 consist of two good endings and 2 normal endings. The two good endings can be obtained by having all 108 stars, though one of them requires something else to be available.  My first run through the game, I got the worst one out of the 4 full-game endings. The one a step above that requires something like 60 or 70+ stars. Both normal endings, however, are...unsatisfactory to a lot of people, but they're both complete the story fine. It's hard to say why without giving away at least SOME spoilers. It wasn't disappointing to me, it just left me thinking, "DAMN I wish I got all 108 stars..."

Personally, I like the characters in here better, since a lot of them have very strong reasons to join the Prince. The setting makes up for crappy cookie cutter characters.
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2006, 08:57:31 AM »

Yeah, the fact that there are several missable characters upsets me.

Code:
Especially when you have one SoD connected to five others. *shakes fist at Oboro* I talked to him after every single major event and he still wouldn't join. Oh well. But, it sucks that he is connected to Sagiri, Shiguri, Raven, Fuyo, and Nakula. Miss Oboro, and miss those other five people. Bah.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: