Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia (post Gamecube)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Tales of Symphonia (post Gamecube)
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
What are you opinions on ToS for those that played it later than when it was only available on Gamecube?

I know that back in the Gamecube era, people were really positive on the game.
That said, people playing it now are mostly disappointed with it.

For those that played it later, what was your opinion on it?

--

For myself, I bought the HD edition (and got the Steam version with the Zesty pre-order), which I started playing but ended up dropping it.
My general opinion was that the gameplay felt like a bad Vesperia.

Story wise, I quickly came to despise Colette and I don't understand the whole human farm / elf thing which the game seems to forget about right after the very beginning (although I didn't finish it, so maybe it comes back?)

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Symphonia (post Gamecube)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
I didn't much experience with Tales outside of Destiny 2/Eternia until 5 or 6 years ago.

Anyhow, I'm running through the PS3 version of Symphonia now and I definitely don't hate it but it still seems to me that Eternia did Symphonia better. 

More likable characters, essentially the same gameplay and almost exactly the same gimmick 3 years earlier. 

Though, for whatever it's worth, Sheena is the most interesting character in either game.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
I liked the gameplay and soundtrack, but the plot was too clichéd for my tastes.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
I liked it better playing it multiplayer rather than singleplayer.

But its still iterated Tales of gameplay, so there's little reason to go back to it these days.

Also, I still haven't beaten it yet. Fuck that sidequest that opens up right before the final boss fight.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »
I first played Symphonia on PS3, and quite liked it at the time; I hope to revisit it eventually.  But then again, I play Tales games mostly because I like the characters, and generally don't have a strong opinion about the gameplay.

I was pretty meh about Symphonia 2: The Sequel, though.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »
I first played Symphonia on PS3, and quite liked it at the time; I hope to revisit it eventually.  But then again, I play Tales games mostly because I like the characters, and generally don't have a strong opinion about the gameplay.

I was pretty meh about Symphonia 2: The Sequel, though.

From what I've heard, Symphonia 2: Symphonia Harder has like 0% of Symphonia 1's characters. Just a few brief cameos in a game about an OC and his childhood girlfriend, recruiting a bunch of monsters to stop not-Lloyd from something something, burning that port town down again, something.

So I would be surprised if it just straight up sucked. Especially after how badly Symphonia 1 aged.

Spoiler: show
Symphonia
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:36:25 PM »
Dawn of the New World didn't quite reach Legendia levels of bad, but it was decidedly mediocre.  The relationship between Marta and Emil wasn't too badly done, but you have to sit through half the game before it gets anywhere.

Individual members of the Symphonia cast do join the party at certain points, but they don't hang around very long.

There's a chance I could replay DotNW, if I go on a trophy-hunting spree or something, but it's not a game I would recommend.  The unrepentant Tales fans have already played it, and everyone else can safely skip it.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »
"Meh" is perfect for DotN... Bought it mainly because I needed moar Wii RPGs, dammit.
I don't remember much about it (surprise), but I definitely don't remember it being terrible. The monster recruiting/raising aspect was probably my favorite part of it (or at least, that's what I remember the most), even though it could get pretty tedious at times. ...and yes, the OG Symphonia cast doesn't get nearly as much representation as most were hoping.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »
What are you opinions on ToS for those that played it later than when it was only available on Gamecube?

I know that back in the Gamecube era, people were really positive on the game.
That said, people playing it now are mostly disappointed with it.

For those that played it later, what was your opinion on it?

--

For myself, I bought the HD edition (and got the Steam version with the Zesty pre-order), which I started playing but ended up dropping it.
My general opinion was that the gameplay felt like a bad Vesperia.

Story wise, I quickly came to despise Colette and I don't understand the whole human farm / elf thing which the game seems to forget about right after the very beginning (although I didn't finish it, so maybe it comes back?)

First off.
YO WATCH ME STREAM THIS ON WEDNESDAYS.  Tales of "Stephonia". heheheh.

Anyways, it's pretty dated and I find myself always trying to "free run".
It was my favorite RPG evar when it first came out.... a lot has changed since.  But I do think it set a high bar for its time.   (all IMO).

1) The cast.  Not so much how good they are and how tragic their backstories are, but in that they play very well together and off each other.  Their chemistry works and the dialogue for them balances out the cheese with the goods.  Lloyd says something stupid (played perfectly by Scott Menville) while Genis makes fun of his buddy, Colette gets a laugh (played fortunately in a non-squeaky voice that's usually given to a character of her type), Raine kicks, Kratos pouts, Zelos flirts, etc.  I think what I like the most is they sound pretty real, and the pretty high-profile VAs worked incredibly with what they were given.

2) It's got...like everything.  Dungeons, bonus content, side-quests, towns, worlds, goddamn. No dungeon is especially short and most come with some gimmick.  Not sure how the Tales team has somehow devolved from this, especially the dungeons which now feature a whole lot of nothing.  Anyways, it also has quite a bit of replayability.

3) The story is still pretty good.  A lot of it is magical nonsense but it keeps you hooked and has enough twists to keep you well-occupied for the game's almost 80 run.

I think it was the overall package that made it the "must have" RPG for the Gamecube, but now it's stuck as a classic having trouble finding a new audience to appreciate its now-retro appeal.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:35:43 AM »
A big part of ToS appeal was that it was the 1st Tales game that most people played (myself included). To my knowledge there was no real action-y RPG released around that time either (Star Ocean 3 was released around a year later). What was fresh and newish back then is now a yearly event so IMO it doesn't hold up as well.

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »
Symphonia was my first Tales game. At the time, I had never played a game that long (I think my initial playthrough clocked in at... 60 hours?), and a lot of the plot twists, as cliche as they are, were fresh to me at the time. They genuinely shocked me with several of them. XD Replaying the game last year on PS3, it's really clear that, while an easy game, the gameplay has not aged well compared to later entries in the series. The free-run has spoiled me. I kept trying to do it. And that soundtrack! Still memorable to this day. Barring Abyss, I don't think Sakuraba has come even close to making a Tales soundtrack that good again. Apparently the PS3 version runs at 30 fps while the original Game Cube version had a smoother 60 fps, so that sucks, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I think when Dawn of the New World initially came out, I was a lot kinder to it than other people. I've always acknowledged the flaws, but they are way more apparent now that I'm older. I still made it through the game after my revisit to the first one, and dear god are Emil and Marta annoying. I like the idea of the plot (showing the fallout of the first game's ending), but the whole thing plays out like a bad fan fic (I did enjoy the big twist though). I have zero interest in raising monsters as party members. Several of the voice changes are jarring. It is disappointing that we didn't get an actual Symphonia sequel that was as grandiose as the first, but it is what it is. I'd probably replay Symphonia again somewhere down the line but I don't know if I'll ever touch DotNW again.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 01:09:33 AM »
I hated it, started Tales series with Tales of Destiny 1 and 2 (or Eternia as it's also known), and skipped over a lot of Gamecube stuff as it was often a re-tread of earlier things.

And I hated it because it had none of the charm of early Tales.. all this about Elves and repression and genocide and stuff, it was raw and edgy in a series that... I mean I'm sure you have played Eternia Annubis but it's night and day.

Thankfully they returned to the fluff with Graces to an extent, and possibly Hearts although I never played it myself, Xillia and Xillia 2 split the diffference, and have not played Berseria.

Edit: I'll grant that Destiny goes there, later on... it's the story of charm becoming about huge world shattering conflict... but Eternia really just doesn't.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:12:25 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.