Author Topic: Hidden gems on PS4

concrete donkey

• View Profile
Hidden gems on PS4
« on: April 23, 2017, 04:45:33 AM »
I'm late to the PS4 but already the console has 100's of games available. I was wondering
if people could recommend some of their hidden gems or under-rated RPG's on the console that i can look into?
Everyone knows about the Witchers and Final Fantasy's but in the past I've found that I've really
enjoyed the lesser known titles like Two Worlds, .hack, Rogue Galaxy, Risen, Resonance of Fate, Magna Carta etc more than
the big titles. Anything with a good story. Thank you

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Hidden gems on PS4
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »
If you are into walking sims Oxenfree was good and will probably be in a flash sale soon.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth while not really under the radar has a good story.

Wild Arms 3 if you are looking for a PS2 download.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:31:35 AM »
I don't know if any games that I have played really qualify as "hidden gems," but I'll list off some good games that I have played. Best RPG I have played on the PS4 is easily Persona 5. Some of the next best games that I have played were Odin Sphere and Valkyria Chronicles, both of which were ports.

For non-ports, Digimon Cyber Sleuth Story is amazing even with minimal knowledge of Digimon. Exist Archive was...decent? I'd recommend Exist Archive, but I did not find it amazing. Horizon Zero Dawn was very enjoyable, but it is most certainly not a hidden gem. Torment Tides of Numenera was also enjoyable, but I feel that it was not worth full price.

One game I would recommend against playing would be Nights of Azure as I found it to just be bad all around.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Yea I forgot about Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. It was only my fav game of the PS3 era.

Never played it by Y's Origin sounds like something you'd like.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:39:38 AM by Rook »

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
Transistor (download only), Child of Light, Gravity Rush

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
I don't think any of these are PS4 exclusives, but:
Bastion, and Transistor, both by Supergiant Games.   If you like one, you'll probably like the other.

Dust: An Elysian Tail was okay, but you need a certain resistance to cheesy dialogue and anthropomorphic character designs.

I own three different editions of Odin Sphere.  I replay it once every couple years, or so.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:03:18 AM »
For better or for worse, good games rarely stay "under the radar" these days. Natural Doctrine is the last really good on the PS4 I could think of that people just...forgot existed, and never really gained any sort of notoriety outside of being really hard to find, as far as I can tell. But I'll throw a couple others out that you might not have heard of, since they were downoad-only:

Stories: The Path of Destinies - Really fun, albeit simple action-RPG gameplay that serves as a vehicle for a story about finding the best possible solution way to save a magical kingdom from its insane king. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and the dynamic narrator really helps to keep things entertaining. Seriously, he's a stitch.

Cosmic Star Heroine - This one just came out...and I haven't seen any reviews for it...starting to feel like I was the only one who got it, actually...

...I got more non-RPGs I could throw into the mix, actually. Also, I have Transistor and Bastion, but haven't played them yet. I don't know why, I feel bad about that. I gotta play the PS4 version of Dust, too. I loved that game.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
Cosmic Star Heroine is a really new rpg on psn and steam iirc. It's interesting, for sure, with a certain nostalgia feel we all crave as gamers. 15 bucks too.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »
CSH is one of those games people don't talk about much simply because they got tired of talking about it while waiting an eternity for it to be released.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »
Cosmic Star Heroine is a really new rpg on psn and steam iirc. It's interesting, for sure, with a certain nostalgia feel we all crave as gamers. 15 bucks too.

But does it have the really long and boring marathon dungeons that plagued BoDVII and CStW?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »

But does it have the really long and boring marathon dungeons that plagued BoDVII and CStW?
No, but if you killed an enemy via poison damage the game froze on you til recently.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
CSH is one of those games people don't talk about much simply because they got tired of talking about it while waiting an eternity for it to be released.

Also because it had the brilliant foresight to go head to head with motherfucking Persona 5. It might as well be dead on arrival given the competition thus far.

Though from the sound of this...

No, but if you killed an enemy via poison damage the game froze on you til recently.

its definitely got a chance on the 'hidden gem' status.

For better or for worse, good games rarely stay "under the radar" these days. Natural Doctrine is the last really good on the PS4 I could think of that people just...forgot existed, and never really gained any sort of notoriety outside of being really hard to find, as far as I can tell. But I'll throw a couple others out that you might not have heard of, since they were downoad-only:

This is more of an unfortunate consequence of being released for like every active PS platform at the time, but with a total production run that would've made it scarce on just one system, let alone 3 of them. It also had some really wonky design issues like permadeath (and not the 'if you are reading this, you done fucked up' way that FE did it), a half-baked online mode, terribly designed UI (largely for being so cluttered while not saying much), and it just looked generic as all hell. Its basically bargain bin VC1 with Drakengard 1 production values.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 02:57:17 AM »
Cosmic Star Heroine - This one just came out...and I haven't seen any reviews for it...starting to feel like I was the only one who got it, actually...

Wait, it's out? Finally? If I'd actually noticed, I'd have reviewed it. I didn't even spot it on Steam... (Got a cool little VN called </reality> instead.)

sasori_scorpion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
If you played Resonance of Fate (great game ;) and Magna Carta, then you already know aboud Nier on PS3 and XBOX, so play Nier Automate on PS4 ;)
And I know it's not a JRPG, but YAKUZA Zero was really good with an amazing story.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »
Dragon Quest Heroes was way better than I expected.

Aragami is also fun, but it's more of a stealth game.

Deception IV - The Nightmare Princess

Odin Sphere Leftheinser or whatever it's called

Diablo 3 is great on consoles

Divinity Original Sin

Wasteland 2

Skyrim Special Edition

Final Fantasy Type 0 HD

Natural Doctrine and Witch and the Hundred Knights are pretty decent strategy RPGs.

If you like point and click adventure games/visual novels, there are quite a few

Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Danganronpa 1 & 2

Deponia

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments

The Nonary Games Collection (999 and Virtue's Last Reward)

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.