Author Topic: Food topic: The best ethnic food outside of its country of origin

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
I was having a conversation with someone about the best ethnic foods they'd eaten outside of its country of origin. 

Like for example, the best Chinese food I've ever eaten was in India.  I've eaten in US Chinatowns on the East and West coasts, but no Chinese food in either place compared to the Chinese food I had in India.  Granted, I've never been to China, so I can't comment on the real mccoy yet.  Still, I assume Chinese food in India is so good given the countries' close proximity to each other. 

I remember a former German teacher I had in high school saying to us that the best pizza she ever had was in The Netherlands, and she's traveled and eaten all over Europe, including Italy.  Thinking about it, it kinda makes sense to me that Netherlands would probably have good pizza since, at least when I lived there as a kid, good cheese and good bread were religion there, and my taste buds felt insulted by what constituted bread and cheese in the US when I first moved here (Wonder Bread and Kraft Singles are garbage.) 

So, yeah, let's discuss those best ethnic foods you've eaten outside of their country of origin.  For example, best poutine you've had outside of Canada.  Or best fish and chips you've had outside of England. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:04:23 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Food topic: The best ethnic food outside of its country of origin
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
I haven't traveled much so I can't say anything profound but you can find incredible ethnic food everywhere in Montreal.
This city is foodies' wet dream.

For example, best poutine you've had outside of Canada.

That's impossible... unless you had it in Florida ;)

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
Honestly I think the best pizza I ever had was in France.  And I spent 3 months in Italy at one point.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
Go to Vancouver for good and plentiful sushi, where it is served any time any where (literally every block sells some, and you can eat it at sporting events too).

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
I heard Vancouver was the epicenter for the sushi revolution in North America in the 1970s.

EDIT: @Annubis a part of me is curious how poutine would be in Wisconsin since cheese curds are a way of life in that state. 

And I will say that the best kimchi I've had was in Hawaii. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:54:38 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »
I've eaten ramen in Japan several times, but my absolute favorite ramen comes from a place in New Jersey.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
New Jersey is a pretty underrated state that way.  We have a lot of great food here.  Not just diner food (because no diner is finer than a New Jersey diner) but we have a lot of good ethnic food too, since the state has such a diverse population. 

That being said, here in south Jersey (Jersey-delphia) it's really difficult for me to get a good falafel because there isn't much of a Greek population here.  Up in north Jersey (aka the New York side of the state), there is a far more prominent Greek population so even some diners served me a decent falafel. 

Oh, and back when I used to eat meat (and eat unhealthily), I loved fried chicken.  I've eaten it in the south where it is religion.  Yet the best fried chicken I ever had was in this little Jamaican/soul food place near my house in New Jersey. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:37:21 PM by Dincrest »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »
Is Falafel Greek? I could've sworn it was Middle Eastern, not that there's a huge distance between the two.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:38:10 AM »
Geogrphically speaking, it all harbors the Mediterranean Sea.  Okay, and my first experience with falafel was at a Greek-run place. 

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
I'd have to imagine the falafel quality goes up the closer you get to Philly.  Actually I think there's at least one falafel place on South Street that I've been to.

Our local pizza place does falafel that I enjoy.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
I live in an area with a thriving Vietnamese communit, so there are an abundance of pho restaurants all around. I couldn't be happier. I get a bowl or a banh mi at least once a week, which can't be good for me but it's goddamn delicious. There are even specialty vegan pho places around!

TL;DR Viet food is pretty good in the D.C. area.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 05:02:25 PM »
I'd have to imagine the falafel quality goes up the closer you get to Philly.  Actually I think there's at least one falafel place on South Street that I've been to.

Our local pizza place does falafel that I enjoy.

Mama's Vegetarian in Philly is amazing.  That was a good falafel. 

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:32:24 AM »
I live in an area with a thriving Vietnamese communit, so there are an abundance of pho restaurants all around. I couldn't be happier. I get a bowl or a banh mi at least once a week, which can't be good for me but it's goddamn delicious. There are even specialty vegan pho places around!

What's odd about DC is that the best restaurants are in the suburbs. DC area also has some excellent Ethopian places to eat.

Underrated food place, Philly's Chinatown.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 01:42:02 AM »

What's odd about DC is that the best restaurants are in the suburbs. DC area also has some excellent Ethopian places to eat.

Underrated food place, Philly's Chinatown.
Can confirm.  There are a lot of good Ethiopian joints near me; some Eritrean ones, too.  Plus eating it in a group is fun, because of the big pancake and side sharing.  Hm, it's been several months since I've had Ethiopian....

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »
Viet food is pretty good in the D.C. area.

I live in the sleepy town of York PA.

I steer clear of "pan-Asian" restaurants. But if you can narrow it down to *two* nation-state/ethnicity groupings? I can work with that.

Hence, the Viet-Thai Cafe in York.

There are a few Thai places in the county, and for the most part, they're all good (and very much my favorite of all). But Viet-Thai is simply one of the best "ethnic" restaurants around. They really do it right.

For something else that's good due to its authenticity, there's El Serrano. IIRC they have two locations: home base is in Lancaster PA, and then their lil-sister restaurant is here in York. The make what has become known generically as "Mexican food" (central/south American, writ large). BUT, the owner is from Peru, and they make some specialty Peruvian dishes, which they mark on their menu as such. This ASPECT of the restaurant is great! But there are really only 5 items that are Peruvian, and then the rest is ... quite generic.

So, overall, Viet-Thai if anyone is in my region.

And yeah ... if you go to Philadelphia, you want Ethiopian restaurants all the way.

And if you go to Durham NC, you want the "Bali Hai" Mongolian grill. So good.