Author Topic: God of War 2018

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
God of War 2018
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Holy hell this game is astoundingly pretty. Like amazingly so. Also it's really a great game overall. They make Kratos seem so much more fleshed out as a character. Also should mention it's pretty heavy on rpg elements, but I put it here since Zno onr thinks of rpgs when they see God of War.

Anyone playing this besides me?

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: God of War 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
I'm glad people are enjoying it, but God of War has never been my thing, and none of the videos actually looked enjoyable. I prefer my hack 'n' slash games to be faster-paced and combo-focused, and that seems to have been downplayed far more than even the PS2 games...it does make me want to try God of War III, though...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
I'm glad people are enjoying it, but God of War has never been my thing, and none of the videos actually looked enjoyable. I prefer my hack 'n' slash games to be faster-paced and combo-focused, and that seems to have been downplayed far more than even the PS2 games...it does make me want to try God of War III, though...
I mean I only played GoW 1 for a short stint as a teen, wasn't fond of it. That being said, this game feels more skillful in the action department. Parrying and timed evasions are you friend, and you can't just go all willy nilly with crazy attacks. I'm almost considering saying it's similar to dark souls in terms of combat precision, but that's a stretch at it's best. Not gonna lie, this is easily the game to beat this year imo.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:48:54 AM »
BOI!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:23:58 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »
...and you can't just go all willy nilly with crazy attacks.

And that's the problem I have with it! That's what I want from my Hack 'n' Slash games! I DON'T want Dark Souls! I mean, I don't mind dodges and blocking, but I don't feel like the combat in God of War 2018 really seems to incorporate them in such a way that it won't slow down the flow of an aggressive assault, even if you know what you're doing. But please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If I haven't made this clear yet, I honestly feel like Hack 'n' Slash games dried up outside of one singular company...and Dynasty Warriors, but I always felt like those games were too monotonously easy to play outside of short bursts, and DW9 looks like a trainwreck...more to choose from would be welcome.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
I am looking forward to playing God of War.  Unfortunately, for me, I bought the game for my mother, so I have to wait until she's had her fun first.  Why didn't I buy it for myself instead?  I think the game looks great.  The more deliberate combat does have me concerned, but I think I'll be able to adjust to it.

I do think it would be great to have a really good fast paced hack and slash game.  The most recent installment to the Ys series has some really fast paced combat, but it isn't really combo heavy the way a true hack and slash game would be.  The thing with hack and slash games is that I could easily see them follow the games as a service model which seems all the rage with Western publishers.

Ideally the game would have a solid single player (or offline coop multiplayer) campaign.  Once you beat that, you can have competitive and cooperative online multiplayer modes.  Some can be player vs player direct competition and even arena style battles where teams of players try to take out the most enemies possible while racking up the best combos.  Such a mode can be scored based on number of kills, number of deaths, and highest combo.  If implemented well, you could easily have a game that would have players coming back for more for months.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP