Author Topic: Fighting Games

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Games
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
EVO is pretty interesting to follow, and I'd like to see the Tekken 7 matches, but I have no free time as it is.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »

so here's the schedule and twitch streams for evo for those interested. Friday is pretty much just all pools, which is good cause I have work and can't watch it. I think they've done a good job of dividing up the finals people want to watch between Saturday and Sunday so people don't only tune in on Sunday
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
Darn, how the hell did I miss a fighting game thread?  That's one of my favorite genres outside of RPGs.  I love me some Tekken, old SoulBlade/Calibur, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, DarkStalkers, Street Fighter... My old Dreamcast was fighting game heaven- Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Last Blade 2, and most of all Marvel vs. Capcom 2. 

I also remember some of the more obscure fighting games I played like Arcana Heart.  That game looked like it would be stupid, but was actually a pretty good fighter.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »
I got into Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late recently. It was free for PS+ members a couple months ago. The online was still kind of dead despite it being free. I ended up doing what I do with almost all fighting games, and binge it hard for about 1-2 weeks and then never pick it up again. The most recent ones were the Persona Arena games and Dead or Alive 5.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
alright, the night is still young but we got some really big news drops

first, Tekken seems to be serious about the cameos from other franchises as they just announced Geese Howard for Tekken 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA

second, Blazblue crossover with Persona, Under Night In Birth and RWBY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Qw-ztFrK4

more minor stuff, first look at arika's new fighting game with Street Fighter EX characters, a look at Dissidia NT, Jedah officially revealed for MVCi and next SF5 dlc character to be announced later tonight

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 07:11:07 PM »
@kofvscapcom

GEESE

TEKKEN

WHAT!?!?!

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »
@kofvscapcom

GEESE

TEKKEN

WHAT!?!?!

More like FUCK YES!

RWBY getting included in the Arc Sys cross over is more "WHAT?!" if you ask me. Really left-field. Hopefully they'll at least be fun to play. No GG tho- oh, because the new ones don't have sprites, gotcha.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:44:37 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »
@kofvscapcom

GEESE

TEKKEN

WHAT!?!?!

SNK Bosses. Accept no substitutes.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
fighting game eSports never really interested me. Never understood the whole you can just use 1 character for the whole tourney thing. It doesn't mean you are the best at a game, just one character. Big whoop. Shouldn't in say a best of 7 the selections are random and maybe for 1 of the rounds you get to choose who you want to use?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
Finally Played Street Fighter X Tekken on the Vita and had a much better time than I expected. I'm still iffy on the custom character bit actually being a part of the main game instead of being shoved off to its own mode like usual. However, there's a ton of charm on display here, and overall, it feels like a good fighting game. Really, this is might be the closest I'll get a Capcom vs SNK remake, at least in terms of retaining the original feel of the Capcom characters while pitting them against characters from other franchises. Had a ton of fun with the arcade mode just from the dialogue. I love the interplay between characters so far. I guess it helped that I mostly played as Dudley and Elena, who are just precious. Oh, and were also my mains in SF3. And they are still every bit as glorious as I had hoped! I'm glad I went with the Vita version for them...although, I guess they're also in Ultra Street Fighter IV, so I can play as them there, but I can't take my PS4 on the Bus. :P

On a similar note, I did try the Story mode trailer demo for Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite. It definitely has a good feel to it, and once again, I love seeing how these characters interact with one another. Still, I'm having SFV Story mode flashbacks: 1 round (...did MVC ever have rounds, though?), and loading times that tended to last longer than the actual matches. At least the cutscenes are well-animated, and I have much more incentive to care this time around. Seriously, I'd rather watch that 1994 Street Fighter film again than rewatch those cutscenes. It doesn't help that SFV just has terrible character designs, which I can safely say is not the case with MVC:I. I might actually look forward to this...except those Infinity Stones are unbalanced as heck. And from what I've seen in the gameplay trailers, it only gets worse from there. I know MVC is rarely about balance, but what's the point of playing if certain infinity stones can make the match go by in less than 10 seconds? Unless someone brought the infinity stone that can revive fallen allies. Seriously, I think the rest have to be overpowered to just keep up with that one! I would prefer the option to just...turn those off. Which I guess would be rebuying UMVC3. Which I can, and likely will, by the time this comes out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:04:38 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
All I ever wanted from Street Fighter was a good story mode.  And SFV's was so boring I couldn't finish it.  Combine it with the utterly wretched, ugly-as-sin character designs and you've got the worst SF ever made.  Oy.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
My favorite story mode in a fighting game is easily SoulBlade, back on the PlayStation.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
new character Menat looks quite fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDs6wqCZs3c

Also, anyone else get into the Dissidia NT beta? they changed up a lot of stuff to make it fit the 3v3 format. It has a lot in common with Gundam Versus now actually.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm in the Dissidia NT beta.  It's actually good, if you can believe it.  I have no idea if the GAME will be good, but the actual mechanics are pretty good, tight, and well done.  Although the gameplay videos look really chaotic, when you're actually in battle and you're familiar with the controls, everything slows down.  And the 3-on-3 format allows for a ton of different strategies you can craft.

I haven't really figured out anything advanced, though.  Heck, even proper use of Bravery attacks and how to use specific ones has eluded me.  I've only played about 90 minutes of it though.

The game is begging for a lot of story and cutscenes, though, considering how gorgeous it is, especially those character models.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
I meant to post about Manet yesterday, actually. She does indeed look fun, although, her reach seems like it might be tricky to deal with. That's a consistant problem I've had with Street Fighter, however, and SFV in particular seems like it could use more defensive options, IMO. I get that they want it to be easier to get into, but even SF3 and 4 had more to offer, unless I missed a mechanic...I didn't really watch those tutorial videos...I just wanted the fight money...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:14:06 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes