Author Topic: Can't remember this PS2 rpg, help?

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Can't remember this PS2 rpg, help?
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
I am quite aware of the difference between horizontal and vertical.  I just don't see how that could have a substantive enough impact on the gameplay to classify them as different genres (or subgenres, whatever).

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
Yeah, this Jrpg/Wrpg nonsense needs to be ended. They aren't styles of rpgs, and how is it western is even a description of a role playing game. Action, turn based, strategy, tactical...these are types of rpgs. Cultural influence doesn't describe the rpg's play style. We don't have japanese platformers or western action games. Tetris isn't a russian puzzle game (actually I think it's a russian life simulator, nyuk nyuk).

I'm running with this as personal opinion, don't take it like I'm trying to change the world or anything.
But there are differences between the styles of games that are generally described as a JRPG and a WRPG. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't see a drastic difference in narrative style between say Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Tales of Xillia. Both games are real time action RPGs. However their narrative is drastically different because in Oblivion your character is clay for you to mold while in Xillia the characters are set in stone. That difference also brings about a gameplay change in that you can't change weapon types because the character was trained in a specific fighting style and you can not change that.

If you don't like the names that is fine because they are sort of arbitrary, but there is a stylistic difference and those are the names that the various communities have just sort of settled on over the years because the styles sort of originated in those regions (sort of).

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »
Wait, Dark Souls is a WRPG now? Sure, it's not anime, but have you seen the ridiculous number of stats? Definitely JRPG. ;)

(The above is not a serious contribution to this discussion.)

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2017, 02:35:58 AM »
A game's country of origin can't be a genre. That's like having a work of black cinema with an all white cast.

PC-style VS console-style is probably a more useful comparison. Like Andrew I'd still say Dark Souls is very much console style, tho ;)

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2017, 05:57:50 AM »
A game's country of origin can't be a genre. That's like having a work of black cinema with an all white cast.

PC-style VS console-style is probably a more useful comparison. Like Andrew I'd still say Dark Souls is very much console style, tho ;)
Haven't played it but everything about it that I have seen looks like a WRPG style game, which is actually why I have avoided playing it. I really have a hard time playing undefined MCs like what I have seen in the Souls games.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »
But haven't you guys all heard! Dark Souls is its own genre!!

...Ugh. This just annoys me, like what does Dark Souls do soooo differently to the action RPG genre that constitutes calling every copycat game after a "Souls-Like"?

It's like if Halo fans started calling every game that tried to copy its success a "Halo-Like" or hell, for all the MMOs that get accused of copying WoW, I've never heard the term "WoW-like"

/rant

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
But haven't you guys all heard! Dark Souls is its own genre!!

...Ugh. This just annoys me, like what does Dark Souls do soooo differently to the action RPG genre that constitutes calling every copycat game after a "Souls-Like"?

It's like if Halo fans started calling every game that tried to copy its success a "Halo-Like" or hell, for all the MMOs that get accused of copying WoW, I've never heard the term "WoW-like"

/rant

Well, I'd say Souls-like is a valid term in the sense that I don't recall that many games prior where failure is guaranteed and a developed mechanic.
If you make a game and you design it with almost certain death situations which are there to train the players or remind them to be wary, it could be a 'genre'.

Closest I can think of there would be Megaman but failure wasn't itself a mechanic there; you could learn on the go and not necessarily die from it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Dark Souls is an action rpg with the difficulty maxed out and your health nerfed to the ground. Anyone claiming it's special can eat a dick!

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
I don't recall that many games prior where failure is guaranteed and a developed mechanic.

Roguelikes?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
I don't recall that many games prior where failure is guaranteed and a developed mechanic.

Baroque is literally this.  Except also with a timer that kills you when it hits zero a constant health drain.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:02:18 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »

Roguelikes?

I could totally see Souls as a sort of 3D roguelike.   

...I should play some ToME.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

Roguelikes?

Perhaps... but roguelikes tend to punish death heavily.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »

is all of those thing. first came out in 1998. and is also awesome.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »

Baroque is literally this.  Except also with a timer that kills you when it hits zero a constant health drain.

yessss.

Shiren the Wanderer, too. That game's side quest triggers are directly tied to your demise.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
I think I can explain everything in song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydKXNq6mWk

And Threads of Fate was a fun game.  I enjoyed it, for sure.   
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty