Author Topic: E3 2017

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
E3 2017
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »
So, are we not doing an E3 thread?
Just EA conference so far but Anthem and A Way Out both look interesting. Anthem being done by actual Bioware, not Bioware Montreal. Though I wouldn't have minded a sequel to Andromeda. Curious to see if we're gonna get any dialogue wheels.
A Way Out is not what I expected next from the people that made Brothers. I hope it's like Shawshank Redemption prison escape or something similar, just not taking 20 years of digging a tunnel.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
A Way Out looks like a great game that's going to sell like shit. In this era, a couch co-op only game is not exactly a huge market. It's not even a party-style co-op game. Like this is clearly for couples and roommates and friends that spend way too much time together.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:33:02 PM »
I ended up listening to the EA conference. Not really a whole lot to say about it though. A Way Out seems like an interesting attempt to try something new...that interest me in the slightest. Then Anthem barely had anything in its trailer. I mean I am always pro-robotic suits, so I'm not going to say I'm uninterested. However there is not a lot to say beyond, I look forward to learning more about it in two years. Everything else was fairly unremarkable.

Well we are now? :p

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »
I figured we were waiting until tomorrow. I mean, Bethesda's conference isn't until 9:00 PM PST tomorrow. Got a long wait until anything important comes up (excluding pre-E3 announcements/leaks, mind you). Hell, even Bioware's game won't be shown off until Microsoft's conference (despite not even being an exclusive).

But whatever. I'm really just using E3 as one big excuse to play games all Weekend. And isn't that the true spirit of E3?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:28:22 AM »
This E3 is gonna be a slog. EA felt like it had barely anything to show, Microsoft's whole show is going to be an hour long circle jerk over Teraflops and frame rates, I can't even imagine what Bethesda has to show, and Ubisoft has seemingly already announced basically everything they have to offer.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 01:34:01 AM »

Sorry. I've been busy catching up from the clusterfuck that was May and Late Winter's/Early Spring's tidal wave of title releases.

This E3 is gonna be a slog. EA felt like it had barely anything to show, Microsoft's whole show is going to be an hour long circle jerk over Teraflops and frame rates, I can't even imagine what Bethesda has to show, and Ubisoft has seemingly already announced basically everything they have to offer.

Welcome to E3. EA and Microsoft are constantly stepping on each other's toes to get the latest version of Call of Duty out into the Bloggosphere while EA continues pushing the Madden and Battlefront shopping carts, whereas Microsoft will continue strapping intrusive "Me Too!" gimmicks onto their XBone, Bethesda will continue to remain an exclusive pow-wow of "Blood" and "Fear" lovers and Fallout fans, Ubisoft will continue to script everything down to the forced humor and audience applause, and Sony and Nintendo will continue to remain the only bastions of interesting content.

Though yeah, the industry has already caught up with the presentation arms race, so unless something comes out that's either utterly tone-deaf, a massive gaff or something truly outlandish (something like a repeat of the Euro Microsoft Hack Attack happening during the show, or even somebody bringing up Microsoft's recent Euro Hack Attack), chances are that this one will be largely by-the-numbers.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »
Welcome to E3. EA and Microsoft are constantly stepping on each other's toes to get the latest version of Call of Duty out into the Bloggosphere

Isn't CoD Activision?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:07:03 AM »
Welcome to E3. EA and Microsoft are constantly stepping on each other's toes to get the latest version of Call of Duty out into the Bloggosphere

Isn't CoD Activision?

Yes. I was totally confused by that statement, but just decided it was an attempt at comedy, and I shall continue to percieve it as such.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
But whatever. I'm really just using E3 as one big excuse to play games all Weekend. And isn't that the true spirit of E3?
If it is then I believe in celebrating E3 every weekend and not just on the conference weekend.  :p

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »
If it is then I believe in celebrating E3 every weekend and not just on the conference weekend.  :p

That's the Spirit!

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
Disappointed that MS went with calling the Xbone Scorpio the "X box One X". Should have named it the Xbox One R, so we could shorthand call it tbe Xboner.

TASTY!

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
ok so we got the Xbox one X and the Xbox one S, yeup that won't confuse consumers at all. I do applaud the effort to make xbox original games compatible though.

We do see a lot of solid titles though, the DBZ game and Ori 2 look so good. Anthemn looks and kinda sounds like Destiny, or ME3 multiplayer but a full game.

I also appreciate everything more with Terry Crews
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 06:57:41 PM »
"The smallest Xbox ever"

Oh, hey Microsoft, you actually have my attention. Also, Xbox Originals being bckwards compatible is the best news yet! So long as everything that worked with the 360 gets on there eventually, I'll be set. I mean, Crimson Skies alone sells it...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »
"The smallest Xbox ever"
GOD the Xboner would have been perfect for that.

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
"The smallest Xbox ever"
GOD the Xboner would have been perfect for that.

Aw damnit, you're right! And with all talk of how fast its processor is, just think of all the premature ejactulation jokes it could've mustered!

...on second thought, I think I see why they voted against that name...Xbox One X is still a mouthful, though. Guess we just gotta call it the XOX?

...Also, too bad we're back at $500. I guess I'll be waiting 2+ years for a pricedrop, unless Microsoft gets desperate again.

Anyways, I'll admit that Microsoft showed off a lot of interesting games, at least:

Crackdown 3 had a funny trailer (though it could've used less hamminess from Terry Crews). Doesn't answer the most important question, though: Will it have an omnipresent narrator, like in the first Crackdown???

Ashen looks pretty awesome. Like a more stylized Dark Souls with NPC allies, I guess? Could be fun.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps looks beautiful, but I would've liked to see some gameplay, too, so I knew how it was supposed to be different.

I'm glad to know that Life is Strange: Before the Storm is only 3 parts instead of the usual 5, if only because that's something different. Seriously, just because Telltale had been doing 5 episodes for a good long while doesn't mean everything episodic has to be divided into 5 parts...sheesh...also, good to know there's a sequel at all, because I just downloaded the full first season. Guess I'll find out whether or not a sequel will be worth paying attention to soon enough!

Sea of Thieves still continues to be the only co-op-focused game I give a damn about, as well as being the pirate game of my boyhood dreams! =D

Super Lucky's Tale looks like an awesome Mario/Banjo-esque 3D platformer. It's attempts at looking cute with the NPCs don't really strike my fancy, though. Everyone just looks kind of hideous, except for Lucky...hopefully I can get over it, though. It's giving me early Yooka-Laylee vibes, but hopefully with less suckiness overall.

Metro Exodus made my nipples hard.

I want to like Assassin's Creed Origins, but most of what we saw were cinematics & the devs working on art assets. It's slated for October, yet they didn't have more to show? That's...giving me Unity flashbacks...

Arc Systems Works + DBZ is a match made in heaven, and a dream come true...literally. I had honestly wished for it the day before it was announced! =D Which means I wasted my Dragon Wish on a video game, instead of having a successful career, or world peace, or an attractive girlfriend with the libido of an African Lion........Fuck.....at least the game looks good.

Black Desert actually makes me want to play an MMO, which makes it the....5th on a console to achieve that. =D It's definitely the prettiest I've seen, though. Now I just need to find out about its price-model...no way is a game like this Free-to-play, not without a boatload of strings, at least...

The Last Night is giving me the best kind of Flashbacks...as in it looks like Flashback, the old cinematic platformer from the era of Prince of Persia, but maybe with less bullshit. Fingers crossed.

Even The Artful Escape looked cool, and normally I despise artsy, psychodelic stuff. I dunno, it really jived with me...maybe because it looked like there was at least an ounce of actual gameplay to it this time. =P

I think the only game that I have any complicated feelings about is Anthem. It looks like Destiny with Jetpacks. Which...might be cool, and it certainly looks a gazillion times better than Destiny in terms of art direction, IMO. If it can pull off a less pretentious story, maybe I'll be able to get into it, instead of getting bored with it during the 4th boss fight, and returning it to Redbox?

I guess I also don't know what to make of Tacoma. It's made from the developers of Gone Home, so chances are good it'll be outside of my usual classification of a game...but I'm enough of a sci-fi nerd that I might try it anyways. At the very least, its story setup sounds like Gone Home's schtick of piecing together events through random notes might fit the world more organically this time. But I guess that takes me back to the main problem: I didn't think Gone Home had a good story, and since there was nothing else to it, there was nothing for me to enjoy. At the very least, there's no way I'd get it without a steep discount, unless there turns to be more gameplay than they've let on so far.

Code Vein looks terrible, but I like the character designs enough that I would totally watch an anime adaption if one ever becomes available. Just sayin'.

Oh, and my diggest biggest disappointment is Deep Rock Galactic Dive. You had me at Space Dwarves. You lost at the actual look of the game...I am so tired of these psuedo-old-school polygon games. I mean, those old 3D games never really looked good, they were just a promise of a better tomorrow. And that torrow started about a decade ago.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:00:43 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes