Author Topic: E3 2017

Lulcy

• Warrior of Light
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
The only thing that caught my interest from Microsoft conference was the Dragon Ball FighterZ trailer, everything else was kinda meh for me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:04:57 PM by Lulcy »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Anthemn looks and kinda sounds like Destiny, or ME3 multiplayer but a full game.

I also appreciate everything more with Terry Crews

I hadn't thought of it like that. That could be a tantalizing idea.

Also, yes to Terry Crews. The reason I asked about the narrator was because I'm genuinely hoping he'll be cast at the narrator.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 10:34:49 PM »
Ugh... I just can't get over how much XBox loves to manipulate the definition of "Exclusive" and do so in a way that seems like sleazy trickery. They could just be open and say "These games launch first on XBox One." But no, it had to be "These games have Xbox exclusivity."

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 10:46:17 PM »
To be fair, they used a lot of "launch exclusive" - which is just the new name for timed exclusives. So...the patient will be rewarded, as usual, but yeah, they love to make such a show...temporary exclusivity, which has already been proven to concern increasingly narrow windows of time. It definitely feels like a blatant ploy, and I know it's stuff like that which leaves me so jaded when it comes to gaming CEOs.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 02:58:10 AM »
Disappointed that MS went with calling the Xbone Scorpio the "X box One X". Should have named it the Xbox One R, so we could shorthand call it tbe Xboner.

Boner jokes aside, if they did call it the Xbox One R I feel like they would have to stick a big wing on the back of it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:11 AM »
After not watching the conferences at all and simply reading the footnotes, I'm pleasantly disgusted by the lack of awesomness shown so far. Ms continues to be out of touch with gamers in general, EA is EA was EA will always be EA, and I'm starting to think Bethesda even does live presentations like their games...throw out whatever you got done and fix it later.

Sony save us, please.

TASTY!

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
I thought Microsoft conference was quite good actually, they managed to keep the sports and cars to a minimum.

The whole console launch exclusive vs console exclusive thing definitely seems like intentionally confusing terminology though. Apparently console launch exclusive just means timed exclusive. So the only actual exclusive games they showed were Forza, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, Lucky's Tale, Crackdown and Ori. Mind that's still quite a good stable, just the problem of having your library be the same on your console and pc is that if I have a gaming PC, why would I get an Xbox?
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
if I have a gaming PC, why would I get an Xbox?

The Eternal Question.

When do we get Nintendo, Sony, and Square Enix conferences?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Lulcy

• Warrior of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »

The Eternal Question.

When do we get Nintendo, Sony, and Square Enix conferences?
Nintendo - Tuesday, June 13: 9AM PST
Sony - Monday, June 12: 6PM PST
Square-Enix will not have a conference at E3 but many livestreams from tuesday to thursday instead.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
I know "expect the unexpected" and "scratch beneath the surface' are cliches, but that's how I feel about E3.  When I went in 2012, it wasn't the big names with the big displays and big preshow hype that stuck with me, but the "hidden treasures."  During that show, one of my colleagues stumbled onto this game called "Dust: An Elysian Tail" that wasn't remotely close to anyone's radar.  But on his word, most all of us tried it at some point during the show and all agreed that it totally rocked. 

And I also remember that there was one appointment a colleague and I had with "a dude with a laptop" which turned out to be our favorite appointment and cemented respect and fandom for Daedalic and their graphic adventures. 

So I'm excited this E3 to see what hidden treasures my RPGFan cohorts find.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
At least the PC presentation had something of interest in an Advance Wars clone with Fire Emblem/Langrisser inspiration thrown into the mix (basically medieval themed Advance Wars with Leader Units ala Langrisser's Commanders). Of importance is of course custom map building.

Other highlights included:
The Last Night which looked slick as hell and reminded me of stuff like Flashback and Out of this World.
An Age of Empires remake (I wasn't much of a PC gamer back in the day, but I sure as hell played this one).
A third person Minecraft clone.
And a Pokemon/Pikmin clone, that I immediately lost interest in once I saw Doublefine's name on the product (expect it to come out in 2020 with only a quarter of the promised features available within the first couple of months).

The rest of it looked like PC stuff (FPSes, Twitch Shooters, the occasional Racing Title, Indieware looking stuffs, and the occasional ultra violence).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »
There really isn't one and that regularly bites them in the ass against Sony and Nintendo. With Microsoft the games usually eventually end up on PC if you are willing to wait long enough.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
I honestly wasn't sure whether to post this as game news or just news news.  It is ostensibly about a game but I dare say that isn't really the point.

But hey, this thread is active.

Anyway, WTF internet.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
So Square Enix has announced the FFVII Remake
Sony finally released The Last Guardian
And now Ubisoft reveals Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Just in case you guys weren't aware we were all transplanted into the Matrix two years ago.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 05:56:53 PM »
Yeah, Ubisoft actually had a few cool things to show off.

Grift Land is utterly beautiful, and if SMT is anything to go by, I do love a decent negotiation system. [Actually, this turned out to be a PC game from some other company, not Ubisoft. Now I'm 50% less interested, at least until it gets ported to a console]

Of course, Ubi would save the gameplay trailer for Assassin's Creed Origins for their show. Now I'm legitimately excited for it...at least, I'm excited to explore its world. They haven't given me a good reason to believe the actual gameplay will be fun, but at this point, it might be able to Black Flags its way into my collection just based on its setting alone.

Speaking of Black Flags, I'm glad they're finally making a standalone Pirate game. Seriously, that's all I needed from them, and they delivered in Spades. I'd say "too bad it has to compete with Microsoft's Sea of Thieves," but despite my overwhelming interest in the latter, this will probably be the one I actually buy & play...

And yes, Beyond Good & Evil 2 still exists. I think. I can't find a working trailer for it, and the website won't lod in, so I'm just gonna have to take everyone's word for it.

Granted, they still found ways to tick me off. I can roll my eyes at The Crew 2, Far Cry 5, and more Steep, but I cannot forgive them so easily for making an interesting-looking Space shooter game, and ruining it with Toys-to-Life mechanics. Granted, it's Ubisoft, so I'm sure they would've ruined it some other way, but still! Now I can't even expect to dig it out of a Gamestop bargain bin 8-10 months after it releases!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:14:47 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes