Author Topic: .hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: .hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
@Rucks Yeah, G.U. was the major sequel to the original games, but as Mac said Links came along after that. G.U. is a good sequel because it takes old ideas from the series' past and does new things with them. Unfortunately a lot of people involved with .hack are apparently hacks themselves because for some reason they have this desire to see Kite appear as the main character over and over (sure, usually the player is different but it's really just another way for them to do the same ideas over and over. I really don't understand the obsession with Kite).

Links is this attitude applied to the entire franchise. The new characters are boring and they decided to include a bunch of old ones, except they decided to reset a lot of their character development because I can only assume that's what fans wanted to see or something (or at least what they thought they wanted to see). The game itself is actually fine IMO, but I like .hack for the characters and Links screwed with that in one of the worst ways possible. It's the worst kind of "fan service".

@Aeolus Wait, am I reading you right, you're saying you think G.U.'s plot is actually worse? There's some really stupid parts and lots of melodrama (In particular I really dislike Sakaki's story) but I remember barely anything happening in IMOQ. The most compelling part of the plot was always Harold Hoerwick's story and I always thought that plot was a lot more interesting when it was done in SIGN (fit with Tsukasa's character arc a lot better too IMO). The best part of the games for me was always the characters and I thought G.U. was a lot better at it.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
Only thing I missed in .Hack//GU was Morgana as a villain. She was a bit of an absentee villain in IMOQ, but less so in Liminality. I still vastly prefer the plot in GU, but I still don't think the series has had a better villain than Morgana. Her "story" if you can call it that was an excellent way to give a villain motivation without making them overly sympathetic.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
You know the Last Recode announcement has motivated me to finally pick up the Roots DVDs. I don't think I'll watch them anytime soon, but it will be nice to have them.

Also I was thinking, you guys think there is any chance that they might add in some more content to address some of the unresolved plot threads? *glares at Zelkova*

(In particular I really dislike Sakaki's story)
While Sakaki's story might not be the greatest, it is one of the most entertaining because of where it goes.
Spoiler: show
He goes completely bat shit insane, and it is wonderful to watch.

Only thing I missed in .Hack//GU was Morgana as a villain. She was a bit of an absentee villain in IMOQ, but less so in Liminality. I still vastly prefer the plot in GU, but I still don't think the series has had a better villain than Morgana. Her "story" if you can call it that was an excellent way to give a villain motivation without making them overly sympathetic.
Thinking back to the original games, I feel like Morgana only really worked as well as she did because of all the extra media. I don't think she would have worked as well in the games without the extra stuff in SIGN, Liminality, AI Buster, and anything else I might be forgetting. Which I suppose to some extent was the intent of the .hack project. Speaking of AI Buster, how many people here have actually read it? *raises hand*

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »
@Aeolus Wait, am I reading you right, you're saying you think G.U.'s plot is actually worse? There's some really stupid parts and lots of melodrama (In particular I really dislike Sakaki's story) but I remember barely anything happening in IMOQ. The most compelling part of the plot was always Harold Hoerwick's story and I always thought that plot was a lot more interesting when it was done in SIGN (fit with Tsukasa's character arc a lot better too IMO). The best part of the games for me was always the characters and I thought G.U. was a lot better at it.

I don't really know the specifics about GU's plot, but I do recall it being the point where I said "Fuck it." since the dotHack brand by that point already had the IMOQ Quadlogy, the Legend of the Twilight Bracelet manga,, the LotT anime (which were similar but also different), the Signs anime, the packed-in IMOQ anime, and the newly released Roots anime to act as a prequel to GU; and that's just the stuff that left Japan.

And yeah, a good portion of my disinterest comes from not really caring about Haseo that much given how much of a proto-Kirito he is (he's still not nearly as bad as Mr. "Hey, I beat up that rapist for you, now how about some reward sex?" of SAO infamy, but that feat's not exactly worthy of a medal). There's just too much powerfantasy going on to make me like him that much, especially since again, you kinda need to get into the above lore just to get the whole picture on him.

Plus, I'm not saying that the plot's pacing is better than IMOQ's (you'd be hard pressed to find a plot with worse pacing, JFC that game was stuffed to the ceiling with padding), but that the few plot beats it had were more interesting.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
If anyone wanted an IMOQ plot more tightly tied to SIGN and Liminality, I highly recommend the Another Birth series, which tells the story from the perspective of BlackRose. Not exactly the height of literature, but it does a nice job of further fleshing out the characters and replaces the padding with a decent character building side story for BR.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 10:24:04 PM »
I don't really know the specifics about GU's plot, but I do recall it being the point where I said "Fuck it." since the dotHack brand by that point already had the IMOQ Quadlogy, the Legend of the Twilight Bracelet manga,, the LotT anime (which were similar but also different), the Signs anime, the packed-in IMOQ anime, and the newly released Roots anime to act as a prequel to GU; and that's just the stuff that left Japan.
You forgot AI Buster...because everyone forgets AI Buster. :(

And yeah, a good portion of my disinterest comes from not really caring about Haseo that much given how much of a proto-Kirito he is (he's still not nearly as bad as Mr. "Hey, I beat up that rapist for you, now how about some reward sex?" of SAO infamy, but that feat's not exactly worthy of a medal). There's just too much powerfantasy going on to make me like him that much, especially since again, you kinda need to get into the above lore just to get the whole picture on him.
Personally I like Haseo because he has an enjoyable character arc. I mean yes he is an asshole at the beginning of the games, but he gets better...I mean he is always prickly, but he does become less of an asshole as the games go on. Power of friendship and all that. :p

And you really don't need to get into that much of the lore of .hack to understand Haseo. The most you need is Roots and I would argue that the important bits of Roots get summarized well enough at the beginning of G.U. 1 such that you don't really need to see Roots (only important thing you arguably learn from Roots is that he didn't actually earn his epic power level). I mean yeah technically there is some other stuff related to Haseo in some of the other material...but Haseo doesn't even know about that most of that stuff, so it isn't really that necessary for understanding him.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »
Also last year I watched Roots then replayed the first game of GU, and GU very much has it's own interpretation of Roots. Like, the basic premise is the same but it takes a lot of liberties that I didn't notice the first time I watched Roots after having already played through GU.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
Morgana was an okay villain, to me when you break it all down it's really just

A typical "AI gone amok" story. Like I said I always found Harold Hoerwick's part in the story to be the most interesting, especially the way it fits into .Hack//SIGN.

This is something of a headcanon, but I always believed that Emma never had any relationship with Harold beyond a professional one. I think it's strongly supported by what you're told of them. It makes the story of Harold one of a sad man taking his obsessive infatuation to an absurd extreme, and it was a nice parallel to how Tsukasa denied reality and stayed in the world. Actually pretty much everyone in the cast of SIGN was denying reality in some way, it was the common thread. It's kinda funny that SIGN was largely conceptualized to market the upcoming games, but I felt the story was a lot stronger there than in IMOQ.

I've actually largely avoided the side stories of .Hack because I feel the majority of them don't really use the setting to their advantage at all. Same with a ton of the manga/anime involving online games, really. The biggest potential of the setting is exploring the gap between how characters act online and offline but a great chunk of them would rather waste time explaining game mechanics for a game that doesn't exist.

@Aeolus Having never watched Sword Art Online I'm not really familiar with how Haseo might be similar to Kirito, but I do find Haseo a good character because it's made pretty clear that you're not really supposed to like him. Only a small group of people that interact with him tolerate him, and it's usually because they have some serious mental issues of their own or they're a lot older and just want to help him out. I actually would consider Kite to be more of a power fantasy than Haseo because the former is a largely generic boy hero that's easier for everyone to project themselves onto. Haseo is just a douche.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
You know, I don't feel that today is a good day to die, so I'm going to make my point and get off this hill.

I frankly didn't care for how they
stapled being Sora/Skeith onto Haseo's backstory.
The series just got a bit too shoneny for me after that.

I regret bringing up Kirito in this discussion because nobody in dotHack ever got to be as awful as anybody in SAO.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »
Ah man all this G.U. talk has reminded me of the E3 trailer from a long time ago, back before they had anyone cast. I really love the way that trailer was cut to mix together Haseo getting PKed and his PKK attack from the beginning of the game.

Also last year I watched Roots then replayed the first game of GU, and GU very much has it's own interpretation of Roots. Like, the basic premise is the same but it takes a lot of liberties that I didn't notice the first time I watched Roots after having already played through GU.
Curious as to what differences you noticed.

A typical "AI gone amok" story. Like I said I always found Harold Hoerwick's part in the story to be the most interesting, especially the way it fits into .Hack//SIGN.

This is something of a headcanon, but I always believed that Emma never had any relationship with Harold beyond a professional one. I think it's strongly supported by what you're told of them. It makes the story of Harold one of a sad man taking his obsessive infatuation to an absurd extreme, and it was a nice parallel to how Tsukasa denied reality and stayed in the world. Actually pretty much everyone in the cast of SIGN was denying reality in some way, it was the common thread. It's kinda funny that SIGN was largely conceptualized to market the upcoming games, but I felt the story was a lot stronger there than in IMOQ.
I don't think that is actually headcanon? I'm pretty sure it is explicitly stated (somewhere) Emma was never romantically interested in Harold. Looking at the wiki she also apparently had a boyfriend 20 years older than herself when she met Harold (although I don't know the source on that). I've kind of always viewed Harold's obsession with Emma as being similar to Dante's decision to immortalize his love for Beatrice in Paradiso despite her being married to another man.

I frankly didn't care for how they
stapled being Sora/Skeith onto Haseo's backstory.
The series just got a bit too shoneny for me after that.
Eh, that is admittedly a questionable decision...
I mean it is clearly stapled on and as a result it ends up adding nothing to Haseo. I mean for starters you have to retcon multiple works just for the idea to even work since Sora was seen in game after the events of the original games (specifically in Quarantine and that one anime episode that takes place after the games).

Then after you make that retcon, you have to accept that Sora was completely mind wiped of the events of Signs to the point where he doesn't even remember owning an account. Then accept that no one bothered to tell him that he was put into a coma while playing The World. Then you have to accept that no one in his family noticed him picking up R2 or they did notice and didn't freak out about it (despite having hidden that he used to play it). It just doesn't really make sense.

Plus the retcon adds very little to Haseo's character since, as noted above, he remembers none of Signs, so none of his character development from there carries over.

Yet despite all of that, I still like it as an easter egg (and that really is all it is since I'm pretty sure it is never mentioned in the games or Roots). I mean Sora was the original avatar user that all others were based on, so it fits he would end up with Skeith again and be the most powerful avatar user (since all others are imitating him). Does it make sense for him to be in that position? Hell no, but I can still enjoy it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:23:56 PM by Ranadiel »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
Good news, everyone! I'm double posting.

Oh right actual good news. We have a new trailer! It shows off Haseo's new form in an anime cut scene. No idea on how it fits in with anything, but it looks awesome. And perhaps in the best news of all....English release confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiWOrULppk

Apparently getting a boxed release in UK (and they claim it is coming out this year). So yeah, I am hyped!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »
^Looks great honestly, though I kept expecting them to drop some Jpop in there after all the singing. 

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
^Looks great honestly, though I kept expecting them to drop some Jpop in there after all the singing.
Honestly I don't think there is any J-Pop in G.U. Most of the vocals that I can recall are more along the lines of hymns than J-Pop. Of course there is always this, but that is too magnificent to be limited to a single genre.

...crap now I've had the idea of buying the G.U. soundtracks. Guess that is going to be happening in the near future. At least it doesn't seem like they are super rare based on Amazon.co.jp prices.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »
I love all 3 main vocal themes for G.U., and the music in general is exquisite. Haven't watched the trailer with Haseo's new form, but anything has to be better than his dopey final form from the original releases.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 05:35:58 AM »
I don't think that is actually headcanon? I'm pretty sure it is explicitly stated (somewhere) Emma was never romantically interested in Harold. Looking at the wiki she also apparently had a boyfriend 20 years older than herself when she met Harold (although I don't know the source on that). I've kind of always viewed Harold's obsession with Emma as being similar to Dante's decision to immortalize his love for Beatrice in Paradiso despite her being married to another man.

As I recall, the only thing that's ever said is that Emma already had a spouse so any romantic relationship with Harold was impossible. I've met some fans who interpret this to mean that Emma returned Harold's feelings but didn't act on it. To me it makes way more sense that Emma wasn't interested in Harold at all and Harold was just a pitiful man. Makes the whole "Aura is the daughter I never had with her" thing a lot more pathetic.

Also while I could've taken or left Morgana returning, I have to say I was pretty disappointed how small Aura's role in G.U. was.

anything has to be better than his dopey final form from the original releases.

I did kinda like that it reflected the change in Haseo's character, but yeah, visually I prefer the crawling-in-my-skin design he had before it.