Author Topic: .hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: .hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
I did kinda like that it reflected the change in Haseo's character, but yeah, visually I prefer the crawling-in-my-skin design he had before it.
Eh personally, I find 3rd Form to be the worst of Haseo's four forms. I'd honestly love it if we could replace his 3rd form with the new form in game. The new form feels like an evolution of 2nd form to me while 3rd form completely changes aesthetics from 2nd form and then is completely dropped in Xth form (which feels kind of like an evolved 1st form). 3rd form just feels out of place with the other forms and I am not a fan of it by itself either.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 03:27:37 AM »
Wanted a proper remake of IMOQ, with decent gameplay and less padding. I've tried Infection three times already but I always give up because the combat is pure tedium. GU was alright but Haseo and the blonde girl (Atoli?) were insufferable.

What happened to .hack//LINK? Did it bomb? There was a manga and then... nothing.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
Haseo may start out as an insufferable jerk, but he does get better. And I think it is a very well done transition for him. Atoli...has less improvement, but she does have some.

As for Link, it was never meant to be a large affair. There was a game, but it never got a US release (probably because it was a PSP game). I don't think it "bombed," but it is remembered as the least interesting entry in the franchise as the game is basically just a lot of fan service.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
Yes, he starts to get a bit better by the second game. Nonetheless, I believe Tales of The Abyss pulled the jerk -> decent person shenanigans a lot better.

Well, at least a new generation will be able to bask in the glory of Endrance, ha!

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
Haseo may start out as an insufferable jerk, but he does get better. And I think it is a very well done transition for him. Atoli...has less improvement, but she does have some.

As for Link, it was never meant to be a large affair. There was a game, but it never got a US release (probably because it was a PSP game). I don't think it "bombed," but it is remembered as the least interesting entry in the franchise as the game is basically just a lot of fan service.

I remember reading it sold about 120K, probably enough to pull a profit. I think Namco at the time was in full pullback mode from JRPGs and just wanted to concentrate on the Tales series. 

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 02:06:53 AM »

I remember reading it sold about 120K, probably enough to pull a profit. I think Namco at the time was in full pullback mode from JRPGs and just wanted to concentrate on the Tales series.

I suspect that a large part of it was because of SAO and its ilk taking over the scene. There was just no way to compete with that while it was still hot, especially since CyberConnect2 could still pay the bills through their Naruto games.

Plus, the metaplot had grown so large and cumbersome by that point, that they tried that reboot to the head movie with girl-Kite, which I don't recall actually accomplishing much.

Also, in regards to your point, I don't think Namdai was pulling back from just JRPGs but from anything that wasn't Gundam or anime heavy (I'm looking at you Idolm@ster and subsequent spinoffs). I mean, just how many years has it been between Tekkens 6 & 7 (sure they had Tag Team 2, X Street Fighter and Pokken Tournament games in between, but the crossover games were largely at the behest of the other companies, and I recall a modified TTT2 being used as a launch+1 yr window filler for the Wii U), let alone other Namco flagship titles not named Tales of, God Eater or Dark Souls? On the other hand, all that anime gave some of us a few good years of SRW (even if by the end, the games were getting cranked out with samey OCs, poor metaplot handling, and more Masou Kishin than anybody knew what to do with).

Also also, lol I totally forgot about that dot//Hack fighting game until I looked it up.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »

Plus, the metaplot had grown so large and cumbersome by that point, that they tried that reboot to the head movie with girl-Kite, which I don't recall actually accomplishing much.

Also, in regards to your point, I don't think Namdai was pulling back from just JRPGs but from anything that wasn't Gundam or anime heavy (I'm looking at you Idolm@ster and subsequent spinoffs). I mean, just how many years has it been between Tekkens 6 & 7 (sure they had Tag Team 2, X Street Fighter and Pokken Tournament games in between, but the crossover games were largely at the behest of the other companies, and I recall a modified TTT2 being used as a launch+1 yr window filler for the Wii U), let alone other Namco flagship titles not named Tales of, God Eater or Dark Souls? On the other hand, all that anime gave some of us a few good years of SRW (even if by the end, the games were getting cranked out with samey OCs, poor metaplot handling, and more Masou Kishin than anybody knew what to do with).

Also also, lol I totally forgot about that dot//Hack fighting game until I looked it up.

Yea the metaplot did get convoluted and needed to be more streamlined. .hack//Roots didn't work (there were good moments but it should have only been 12 episodes) and the DVD market which probably helped sign out didn't exist anymore.

In defense of Namco every japanese developer was pulling back and with good reason. Western RPGs were ascendent and Japan wasn't buying consoles. SE said they were strictly go to concentrate on FF/DQ, Konami LOL, Capcom w/ monster hunter, Sega turning into a dumpster fire etc. I think for quite a while the thought in Japan was that the west wasn't going to buy a JRPG anymore unless it had a AAA budget.

I'd love for CC2/Namco to give .hack another go. You look at what infection series looked like and compare it to what they do today with the Nautro games and you can tell they've really grown as a developer. Plus I need Chikayo Fukada composing console JRPGs in my life.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 07:44:38 AM »
So some minor news, we got confirmation that there will be a physical US release yesterday (and I've already got my copy preordered). This is good because the previous information had been it was going to be digital only. So yay!

In smaller news, I imported used copies of the two OSTs for G.U. Very nice to have the music in my collection. Although it has intensified my desire to replay G.U. I really want to just pull out my PS2 and play the old games, but then I would end up burned out on G.U. by the time Last Recode comes out. :(

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/08/hackg-u-last-recode-launches-november-1-japan-includes-brand-new-fourth-volume

So who here thought that GU got dicked over because it only had three parts compared to IMOQ's 4 game bloat?

Seriously. I never thought I'd see the day where a dot//Hack series would actually use its multipart-series format correctly. Now lets hope they gave it more than a Squeenix job of slapping together a bunch of random level assets to make a single megadungeon, stuffing it full of jacked up pallet swaps and Swords of Infinity +2, and sticking a major foe from the most recent game as the final boss of the joint to establish retro-legitimacy.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »
This looks anime as hell.

So I'll probably skip it I guess..
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Interesting turn of events, but I'm cautious. As much as I want to see more .hack, I don't know if a fourth volume of G.U. is really a good idea, because they wrapped up just about everything they needed to in the third game. If they use it as a way to bridge G.U. to LINK or that stupid movie with FemKite it probably won't be very good. Reminds me a bit of when Phantasy Star Online made an Episode 4 and it felt really unnecessary since Episode 3 wrapped everything up (yeah, PSO had a story).

Wonder how they'll handle the localization. Are they just going to get the same voice actors back, recast them or just release it as dub only?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
Interesting turn of events, but I'm cautious. As much as I want to see more .hack, I don't know if a fourth volume of G.U. is really a good idea, because they wrapped up just about everything they needed to in the third game. If they use it as a way to bridge G.U. to LINK or that stupid movie with FemKite it probably won't be very good. Reminds me a bit of when Phantasy Star Online made an Episode 4 and it felt really unnecessary since Episode 3 wrapped everything up (yeah, PSO had a story).

Wonder how they'll handle the localization. Are they just going to get the same voice actors back, recast them or just release it as dub only?
Well they seem to be retconning Returner to leave a loose end open
Spoiler: show
as the whole plot of Vol. 4 is saving Ovan from being stuck in a giant block of ice in the game.
Additionally there is some early speculation (hope?) that we might be getting info on Zelkova's backstory as the new NPC in the article shares a lot of traits with him. Additionally this is taking place in the month before the R2 servers shut down, so we will probably get some insight into the events surrounding that. I'm also assuming they are going to be tying events in with the retcon that was made in Thanatos Report.

As for localization, we already heard Yuri's voice for Haseo in 5th form (I pray it has a different name in game) in the English trailer, so they are at least getting him back. No idea on anyone else though (actually for all we know no other old characters have speaking parts)...well okay Ovan probably does and they better bring him back.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 06:46:19 PM »
New news! So we have confirmation that Haseo's new sword is a whip sword. We also have screenshots indicating the return of Alkaid, Shino, Tabby, Atoli, Silabus, and Gaspard in Vol. 4. Also there is going to be a special edition In Japan with several goodies.

Last bit probably isn't important since everything is going to be in Japanese....but I preordered it anyways because I want the box it comes in. XP

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
New news! So we have confirmation that Haseo's new sword is a whip sword.

So wait. Did Haseo suddenly develop massive tits and asscheeks?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
Ivy crossover confirmed? She plays The World (whatever name they call the fictional game-within-a-game by G.U.) in her off-hours when she's not looking for Soul Edge?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes