Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 02:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340854 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Now it's Official
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Now it's Official  (Read 8665 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763

PS3 November.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »

Can't say I'm surprised. I'm curious about the blu-ray copy protectiont hough; probably just the normal stuff, but hey.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:39:21 PM »

I laughed at the 1up comments.  The '1 year later than the 360 = death' posts.  Do these kids not remember the Dreamcast?

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:41:18 PM »

Read the same news over at Gamespot, and according to them the article wasn't in any way an official annoucement. But yeah, it does seem very likely that it's true, and it's not like it comes as a surprise to anyone.

Personally, I don't mind the delay. It will give developers more time to polish their launch titles, which is never a bad thing. I also don't think that a delay will hurt Sony as much as some think. Sure, some people might get tired of waiting for the PS3 and buy a Xbox360 instead, but the majority of us will probably still get a PS3 no matter when it's released.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:03:16 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
I laughed at the 1up comments.  The '1 year later than the 360 = death' posts.  Do these kids not remember the Dreamcast?

Well, there's a slight difference in that Xbox had a pretty good reception in America.  With all this extra time, maybe MS could even appeal to the Japanese audience by releasing some quality RPGs.  

...Hehehe.  But anyway, I think the delay is good for various reasons.  On the  one hand it should mean a slightly lower price on release (not that I plan to get one until it hits ~$200 or so anyway) and more (and better?) release titles.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »

The Dreamcast had a good chunk of units sold - it's just that the marketing sucked.  They did sell half a million units in the first two weeks in NA, which is not bad at all for the shape of the market at the time.  It had 1 million units in NA by the end of November of that year (it launched in September).

They had 30% marketshare in 2000, which is not bad considering the general failure of the Saturn in America.  They were doing well enough, they simply got steamrolled by the PS2, though.

-John

Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:37:38 PM »

Yeah, it's my understanding that the DC sold extremely well, even setting records.  Apparently it went under because Sega wasn't handling their money very well or something.

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 10:33:28 PM »

I am starting to feel like this set of hardware is going to be just like the PS2 was for alot of us. For some reason, I feel like this whole generation will be more of the same, with nicer graphics and alot more online action. I am all for it, I am just not getting my hopes up high enough to get mad if it is delayed.

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »

I haven't gotten my hopes up at all for a release date for this sucker, so they can push it back all they want as far as I'm concerned :P
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 01:08:29 AM »

Meh, I still can't name one game I wanna play on the PS3.  The delays really mean nothing to me.  Unfortunately.  I like my PSI and PS2 games.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 02:02:03 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Meh, I still can't name one game I wanna play on the PS3.  The delays really mean nothing to me.  Unfortunately.  I like my PSI and PS2 games.

Not even Phantasy Star: The Next Generation?

-John

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 02:49:56 AM »

Wait, the PS3 is going to play games too? I thought it was just a poorman's Blu-Ray machine.

Of course you cant think of one PS3 game you want...cause half of them are still in the stage where the developer will probably dump it because they suck at coding for this new system. Phantasy Star? pft. Fuck Phantasy Star...fuck it right in it's little asshole.

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 02:59:20 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
They had 30% marketshare in 2000, which is not bad considering the general failure of the Saturn in America.  They were doing well enough, they simply got steamrolled by the PS2, though.

-John

That, or piracy. It was so easy to burn Dreamcast games, that back in high school I didn't know anyone who actually, you know, bought the games.

As for the PS3 being released in November, I don't care. Wasn't going to buy it at launch anyways. I'll wait for a price drop or three. By then the console should have enough killer apps to warrant the purchase.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »

This just in....Sony to hold press conference in Tokyo tomorrow.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/14/playstation-3-in-tokyo-tomorrow-sony-confirms/

invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 03:20:24 AM »

Metal Gear Solid 4?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: