Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327314 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Now it's Official
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Now it's Official  (Read 7763 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 03:23:07 AM »

So yeah, now it's really official. Wordwide launch in November.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:59:47 AM »

Worldwide launch just in time for Christmas, eh?  I'm sure Sony won't run into any problems with supplying the demand.  Cough. :P

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 04:36:36 AM »

So what :P? PlayStation 2 launched in March back then six years ago and they still could not keep up with demand. Same goes for the PSP, Nintendo DS (you will have a hard time buying a new DS Lite in Japan right now) and the 360. It's the rule, not the exception, that you have a hard time meeting demand, when you can only produce a comparatively limited number of units (say 1-2 million) per month.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 04:49:44 AM »

See....I understand that no matter when they release the system they sell out and have supply problems, but my big beef is that if they sell it during the holiday season they get us hardcore gamers all pissed off.

Sell during holiday season: pissed off hardcore gamers.
Sell during off season: happy hardcore gamers and still sell as many units that will then lead into holiday season when they have a better grasp on supply and sell even more.

Make sense?

Oh well...it makes sense to release the PS3 later this year, since at the moment there are no Blu-Ray movies easily attained. So basically they'd be releasing another game console rather than later this year when Blu-Ray is actually...ya know...out.

WHEW FOR RUN ON SENTENCES!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »

Its official also that the PS3 will have a 60 gigabite hard drive and free online service.  The only thing am still worried about is the price.  They didnt mention pricing ; ;.
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards waiting until well after launch to pick up. I mean, look at first gen near launch records on consoles. I don't really feel like dropping $400 on a machine that overheats in the first hour I get it home. Not to mention the lines and the other crap associated with launch.

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »

Only console I'll pick up soon after launch is the rev. Nintendo has a decent track record for good quality hardware, and the price will be reasonable.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 10:42:42 AM »

Depending on where you live the thing might even cost more than 400 bucks. I won't be surprised if Sony Computer Entertainment Europe charges folks in the PAL territories between 450 and 500 euros per unit. The question is whether it well sell for 39900 yen or 49900 yen in Japan.
Apart from the price tag, I'm wondering about the harddisk. While he stresssed the importance of the harddisk, good old Ken Kutaragi apparently has not decided whether to include it with the system. Not including it would be utter nonsense, though. So I really hope they don't screw up in this point.

Extwin: Agreed. While I'm always amazed at looking at those queues in front of electronics and game stores, in particular in Tokyo, I have better things to do than camp in front of a store for 24 to 48 hours. Besides, the only console I bought right after it launched was the Dreamcast. And this Dreamcast happened to be the only console that has died on me so far, forcing me to buy a new one. So regardless of the price and the likely lack of games that would interest me, I will definitely wait until 2007 before I pick up the console in Japan.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 12:56:34 PM »

Now this makes a lot more sense. I thought it was total bs when it was still aiming for spring a while ago, but by November we would all most likely understand the console more. I am interested in the PS3 and may more than likely get it at launch (depends on games and price), but its my #2 priority since the Revo enslaved me atm.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »

This is kind of a second hand account of what was said in the conference. Seems like the article has been updated most of the day today and last night.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/15/ps3-press-conference-it-begins/

But yeah, no mention of price. :(

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Vagrant
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »

This news (especially the launch-delay) was expected and I think it will only benefit the PS3. Sony can concentrate on getting as many units ready for launch as possible, and developers have another 8 months to work on their launch games. It also looks like Sony realy has their act together with regards to a online service, which will probably be just as good or even better than XBoxLive. Couple that with their dedication to help developers to work with the hardware (which when devs get the hang of it, will blow the competition out of the water), the continuing great 3rd and 1st party support, blu-ray, AND FULL backwards compatibility...and there isn't much that can go wrong for the PS3. I think E3 2006 will be pwned by Sony, and that the PS3 launch will be fantastically organized and complete with great and polished games, and not like the super rushed feeling that Microsoft gave us with the 360.

I can't wait for further news about everything PS3.
Next week's GDC is next and after that...E3!

Let the pwnage begin...
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »

I saw that coming.  I really didn't think it would be out this spring seeing how we didn't hear or see anything regarding software.  Besides, I have a 360 and i'm not about to drop another 500 dollars on a new system so soon.

Oblivion is probably going to get me through the summer anyway:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »

I also saw screenshoots in IGN of Untold Legends for PS3 and i was completely unimpressed by the graphics. Xbox 1 could do that.  Nothing even remotely close to the Killzone trailer.  For Sony's sake I hope its that developers are still learning to use the dev kits.  
If the system is lauched at $450 or less I'll be lining up to get one at lauch.

Also there's been rumors of being able to download PS2 and PS1 games to your harddrive, Nintendo copy cat anyone :P
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 03:14:27 PM »

Saw those Untold Legens screenshots too, and it's kind of unfair to judge the system based on those :P And it's not like all Xbox360 launch games looked fantastic either - take a look at Gun or NHL 2K6 for an example. They hardly look any better than their Xbox counterparts. I'm pretty sure we'll see some better looking launch titles presented on E3 later this year.

I've heard the downloadable PSX/PS2 games rumor too, and I think it's a great idea of it's true - and very similar to Xbox Live! Arcade and what Nintendo are planning to do with the Revolution. It's probably just a very cheap way to make some more money on older games - if the downloadable games are sold a reasonable price (say $9.99 - $19.99) I'd be more than happy to get some.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
The Dreamcast had a good chunk of units sold - it's just that the marketing sucked.  
-John

The European marketing was quite good I thought, I think peoples main gripes with the marketing was the lack of any game footage. Sega's reliance on tapping into the new generation by use of stylistic adds ad new pop songs was always going to sink back then, remember how long ago it is. But I still think the Dreamcast was one of the biggest upsets in gaming history, back on topic the PS3 looks set to clean up as tbh the 360 has severly lacked this far. With only a handful of games available and nothing spectacular in the pipeline.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: