Author Topic: Tales of Discussion 2: Dawn of the New Megathread

Alisha

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Discussion 2: Dawn of the New Megathread
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »
We're so close to its 10th anniversary, and I've said for years something's gonna happen with Vespy to celebrate it... so I'm looking forward to cashing in...or eating crow.
that would be unfortunate for those that dont like vesperia

...Why? Couldn't you just...ignore it, if that happened? Is Bamco gonna hack your Amazon account and order you a copy of the Anniversary Edition ToV, along with a dozen T-Shirts featuring the game's cast?

while vespy may have a cult following it's not even among the best selling tales games
The series has generally sold well during its lifetime. The series' strongest sales base has been Japan: in 2007, sales distribution was 87% in Japan, 8% in North America, 3% in Europe and 2% in mainland Asia. The best-selling titles of the series at the time were Symphonia (953,000 copies for the GameCube, 486,000 for PlayStation 2), Destiny (1.1 million copies for PlayStation), Xillia (1 million copies for PlayStation 3) and Destiny 2 (977,000 copies for PlayStation 2). The sales data did not include mobile and online games.[151][152] The success of entries has also been linked with the consoles they are released on: Vesperia's release on the Xbox 360 caused the console to sell out for the first time in Japan, while Namco decided to release Zestiria on the PlayStation 3 due to the low sales prospects for next-gen consoles in their target audience.[3][153] As of December 2013, the series has shipped 16 million units worldwide across 100 different countries

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Just to be fair, Alisha, your quoted article even says that Vesperia caused the xbox 360 to sell out for the first time in japan. That alone should show what kind of dominating force it was at its time.

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »

while vespy may have a cult following it's not even among the best selling tales games
No one said it was? You are arguing against a point no one made.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
Why is everyone getting defensive about this anyway? All she did was say she didn't like Vesperia in her own way. This forum has a real issue with making mountains out of molehills.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
Why is everyone getting defensive about this anyway? All she did was say she didn't like Vesperia in her own way. This forum has a real issue with making mountains out of molehills.

Hey, I was being serious - what negative outcome could she possibly be percieving from anything Vesperia related, especially if it was, say, a sequel or port that would celebrate its 10th anniversary? She didn't just say "I don't like that game," she said it would be a problem for those who don't like Vesperia, and that's a mindset I couldn't wrap my head around. And believe me, when I see virgin soil, you can bet I'm going to bring out the drill.

...okay, this got weird...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »

Hey, I was being serious - what negative outcome could she possibly be percieving from anything Vesperia related, especially if it was, say, a sequel or port that would celebrate its 10th anniversary? She didn't just say "I don't like that game," she said it would be a problem for those who don't like Vesperia, and that's a mindset I couldn't wrap my head around. And believe me, when I see virgin soil, you can bet I'm going to bring out the drill.

...okay, this got weird...

Velvet does not approve.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 09:25:03 PM »

Velvet does not approve.
Well to be fair, she doesn't really approve of anything. :p

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »
As much as I found Berseria to be a step up when compared to the latest entries, I really can't see myself replaying it ever.
Feels like a lot of the story dragged on and the characters not named Velvet really aren't anything to write home about.

If anything, I think the link to Zesty hurt it more than it helped.
Eizen is the only good thing out of it.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »
I have not played a Tales game since Symphonia on Gamecube- which I rather liked except for the forgettable music. 

My favorite was definitely Destiny.  I played that one multiple times to completion. Of all the Tales games I've played, this one had the most exciting music.  Loved the soundtrack.

Phantasia was one of my favorite imports (I once had both a SFC cartridge and the PSX import) which I sold on eBay when money was tight.  All official English versions of Phantasia were lousy. 

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology was fun, but it suffered from every pitfall that crossover games of that ilk fall into. 

Watching some of Eternia/Destiny II's longplay makes me want to actually play that game. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 06:33:28 AM »
I am still playing through Tales of Berseria when I came across the most frustrating minigame I have ever encountered.  Mug Match is a cancer and whoever it is at Bandai Namco that programmed it needs to die.  The game is utterly frustrating.  The speed with which the faces change expression is too fast to reliably match them right.  Fuck that minigame.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
I am still playing through Tales of Berseria when I came across the most frustrating minigame I have ever encountered.  Mug Match is a cancer and whoever it is at Bandai Namco that programmed it needs to die.  The game is utterly frustrating.  The speed with which the faces change expression is too fast to reliably match them right.  Fuck that minigame.

There's no special reward or trophy that needs Mug Match.
Skip it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
Oh yeah, crap, I bought Tales of Berseria last week when it was on Sale at Gamestop. I haven't played Zesteria yet, however. How jarring would you say it would be to go from Berseria to Zesteria? Because I kind of want to prioritize Bersy, especially since Zesty has an anime adaption, but I still want to give the game a chance, I mean...I bought it, after all...I also still have Xillia 1 & 2 to finish, but those are kind of stuck on the Backburner until I finish every other Tales game except Legendia...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 04:45:58 PM »
Oh yeah, crap, I bought Tales of Berseria last week when it was on Sale at Gamestop. I haven't played Zesteria yet, however. How jarring would you say it would be to go from Berseria to Zesteria? Because I kind of want to prioritize Bersy, especially since Zesty has an anime adaption, but I still want to give the game a chance, I mean...I bought it, after all...I also still have Xillia 1 & 2 to finish, but those are kind of stuck on the Backburner until I finish every other Tales game except Legendia...

I mean, you'll miss some of the lore but I could resume it to you pretty quickly. It's not that essential as the adventure of ToB is so far prior to ToZ that there is little that is shared by both games.

Seraphim = spirits - immortal - usually born from nothing but rarely born from human soul when dying
Malevolence = corruption; created by humans - cannot be cured other than by the flames of purification
Sheperd = human with the power to merge with seraphim and use the flames of purification (ToZ's main character)
Dragons = seraphim with too much malevolence
Hellion = animal/human with too much malevolence
The Lord of Calamity = the big evil from ToZ
Maotelus = one of the great spirits. There are 4 others (elementals)
Spoiler: show

Maotelus (again) = became corrupted and was the source of The Lord of Calamity's power.
Eizen (ToB) is Edna (ToZ)'s brother and in ToZ he's a dragon

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »
I meant Gameplay-wise. Like, going from Vesperia to ToA was hard because of how much they limit you at the beginning, which Vespy gives you at the start. Then Graces f and Xillia have vastly different combat systems...that sort of thing...I'm not sure if Berseria is just going spoil me or something...that's why I try to play games in order if I can...I never really pay close attention to the lore and story, outside of what the characters are doing/going through...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 02:26:19 AM »
Combat system is completely different so there's little in the way of skills that gets carried over.