Media > Game Journals

DinC's FIRST EVER Nuzlocke run - Pokemon Moon

(1/4) > >>

Dincrest:
In case you didn't see it on the front page:  http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/index.html  With planned updates every Wednesday!  First time the site's ever done a Nuzlocke playlog feature! 

And this chronicle of my first ever Nuzlocke was totally inspired by all the journals/playlogs people (including myself with Chrono Cross) have done here on this forum.  I had originally thought of posting my playlogs here, but my colleagues suggested that we make my Nuzlocke logs into a site feature.  Massive team effort this has been putting it all together, so definitely check it out.

The intro in the Nuzlocke feature takes care of all the housekeeping- defining what a Nuzlocke run is, establishing what rules I will use, and my various thoughts about the whole endeavor.  After that, you get to read the first two chapters of the story.  Enjoy! 

The most astute of you would notice that I mentioned my desire to do a Nuzlocke of Moon in my Pokemon Sun review last year: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Pokemon_Sun_Moon/index.html
The final sentence is:
--- Quote ---After my time with Sun, I'm now inspired to attempt a Nuzlocke Run of Moon during the summer of 2017 and write a playlog of it for the site. It may not be another vacation to Hawaii, but it will be the next best thing. 
--- End quote ---

So, anyone else here done a Nuzlocke Run?  What were your feelings on it? 

Klutz64:
Okay, since people keep doing these while expecting everyone to either be in the know or be bothered to look this up, can someone PLEASE save me a google search and explain what the hell Nuzlocke means?

Starmongoose:
Neal gave a list of rules in his feature though

I'll reiterate for you.

A Nuzlocke run is a Pokemon challenge run, where there are 3 core rules you have to follow.

1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered Dead and must be released (or put in a box in your PC forever). No revival items are allowed.
2. You must nickname all your Pokemon (This is for attachment purposes mostly, to make you feel worse when they die).
3. You only can catch 1 Pokemon from each area, and it is always the first Pokemon you encounter. For example, in Pokemon Red, entering Mt Moon counts as a new area and if you encounter a Zubat as your first encounter you can either catch it or kill it, but either way, you can't catch anything else from Mt Moon ever again.

The player can add a bunch of additional smaller rules to their own game. Stuff like "Dupes Clause" where if you encounter a Pokemon from a different area that you already own, you can pretend it didnt happen and look for another Pokemon.  I've seen people do no healing items in battles ontop of it, which really amps up the threat of death.

To answer Neals question, I've done a few Nuzlocke runs, but only ever finished one. :P

Klutz64:
My apologies, I was tired last night and made a lot of assumptions based on past examples of folks sharing their "Nuzlocke runs". Thank you for the explanation all the same, seems interesting I suppose. Though if a Nuzlocke's main theme is attachment, then being stuck with whatever random Pokemon you find first in an area seems a bit counterpoint.

Dincrest:
My intro explains it all.  Sure the housekeeping bits are not the most exciting to read, but it sets up the what and the why (I wax philosphical about trying something new- playing with an old friend in a new way.)  It also has links to various parts of Nuzlocke's site as he's the guy who originated the phenomenon. 

And as for attachment, I think the randomness of going with the first pokemon encountered in a new area is not a counterpoint, but just looking at attachment in a different way.  It's all too easy to encounter a Zigzagoon and decide, "nah, this pokemon sucks," reject it and move on to try and catch something better/more desirable.  But if it's the one the rules give me, then I have to learn about it, nurture it, build a relationship with it, all that good stuff. 

And since I'm limited in what I can catch, every pokemon is important.  A common theme in Nuzlockes is that people often find value in pokemon that they might reject, ignore, and/or not otherwise use, and it made the relations built with them more meaningful.  It's in my best interest to keep my little companion alive, since I can't just throw it away and get more. 

It's the dating analogy again.  You go out with someone you're immediately attracted to, but down the road you may find that they're not all they're cracked up to be.  (This happened during my conventional playthrough with Sun.  I was so excited to evolve a Magikarp into a Gyarados, and Gyarados turned out to be a massive disappointment.)  On the other hand, you may go on an "eh, whatever, why not?" date with someone you're ambivalent towards, yet find out that they're a really cool person and they start becoming more attractive to you.  (During my playthrough of Crystal, I didn't think much of the Spinarak I picked up but down the road it became my MVP because it always came through for me in the pinch.) 

Another analogy could be that episode of My Little Pony where Rainbow Dash is creating all these crazy tests to find the coolest pet, and though the coolest pet turns out to be a falcon, Dashie ends up adopting the tortoise because it was unflappable in the face of trouble and actually saved her life when the cool pet left her behind. 

A third analogy could that line from old song, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."  Not how most people live their lives or would want to, but still a valid perspective. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version