Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
DinC's FIRST EVER Nuzlocke run - Pokemon Moon
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:53:16 PM »
In case you didn't see it on the front page:  http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/index.html  With planned updates every Wednesday!  First time the site's ever done a Nuzlocke playlog feature! 

And this chronicle of my first ever Nuzlocke was totally inspired by all the journals/playlogs people (including myself with Chrono Cross) have done here on this forum.  I had originally thought of posting my playlogs here, but my colleagues suggested that we make my Nuzlocke logs into a site feature.  Massive team effort this has been putting it all together, so definitely check it out.

The intro in the Nuzlocke feature takes care of all the housekeeping- defining what a Nuzlocke run is, establishing what rules I will use, and my various thoughts about the whole endeavor.  After that, you get to read the first two chapters of the story.  Enjoy! 

The most astute of you would notice that I mentioned my desire to do a Nuzlocke of Moon in my Pokemon Sun review last year: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Pokemon_Sun_Moon/index.html
The final sentence is:
After my time with Sun, I'm now inspired to attempt a Nuzlocke Run of Moon during the summer of 2017 and write a playlog of it for the site. It may not be another vacation to Hawaii, but it will be the next best thing. 

So, anyone else here done a Nuzlocke Run?  What were your feelings on it? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:28:27 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: DinC's FIRST EVER Nuzlocke run - Pokemon Moon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »
Okay, since people keep doing these while expecting everyone to either be in the know or be bothered to look this up, can someone PLEASE save me a google search and explain what the hell Nuzlocke means?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »
Neal gave a list of rules in his feature though

I'll reiterate for you.

A Nuzlocke run is a Pokemon challenge run, where there are 3 core rules you have to follow.

1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered Dead and must be released (or put in a box in your PC forever). No revival items are allowed.
2. You must nickname all your Pokemon (This is for attachment purposes mostly, to make you feel worse when they die).
3. You only can catch 1 Pokemon from each area, and it is always the first Pokemon you encounter. For example, in Pokemon Red, entering Mt Moon counts as a new area and if you encounter a Zubat as your first encounter you can either catch it or kill it, but either way, you can't catch anything else from Mt Moon ever again.

The player can add a bunch of additional smaller rules to their own game. Stuff like "Dupes Clause" where if you encounter a Pokemon from a different area that you already own, you can pretend it didnt happen and look for another Pokemon.  I've seen people do no healing items in battles ontop of it, which really amps up the threat of death.

To answer Neals question, I've done a few Nuzlocke runs, but only ever finished one. :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
My apologies, I was tired last night and made a lot of assumptions based on past examples of folks sharing their "Nuzlocke runs". Thank you for the explanation all the same, seems interesting I suppose. Though if a Nuzlocke's main theme is attachment, then being stuck with whatever random Pokemon you find first in an area seems a bit counterpoint.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »
My intro explains it all.  Sure the housekeeping bits are not the most exciting to read, but it sets up the what and the why (I wax philosphical about trying something new- playing with an old friend in a new way.)  It also has links to various parts of Nuzlocke's site as he's the guy who originated the phenomenon. 

And as for attachment, I think the randomness of going with the first pokemon encountered in a new area is not a counterpoint, but just looking at attachment in a different way.  It's all too easy to encounter a Zigzagoon and decide, "nah, this pokemon sucks," reject it and move on to try and catch something better/more desirable.  But if it's the one the rules give me, then I have to learn about it, nurture it, build a relationship with it, all that good stuff. 

And since I'm limited in what I can catch, every pokemon is important.  A common theme in Nuzlockes is that people often find value in pokemon that they might reject, ignore, and/or not otherwise use, and it made the relations built with them more meaningful.  It's in my best interest to keep my little companion alive, since I can't just throw it away and get more. 

It's the dating analogy again.  You go out with someone you're immediately attracted to, but down the road you may find that they're not all they're cracked up to be.  (This happened during my conventional playthrough with Sun.  I was so excited to evolve a Magikarp into a Gyarados, and Gyarados turned out to be a massive disappointment.)  On the other hand, you may go on an "eh, whatever, why not?" date with someone you're ambivalent towards, yet find out that they're a really cool person and they start becoming more attractive to you.  (During my playthrough of Crystal, I didn't think much of the Spinarak I picked up but down the road it became my MVP because it always came through for me in the pinch.) 

Another analogy could be that episode of My Little Pony where Rainbow Dash is creating all these crazy tests to find the coolest pet, and though the coolest pet turns out to be a falcon, Dashie ends up adopting the tortoise because it was unflappable in the face of trouble and actually saved her life when the cool pet left her behind. 

A third analogy could that line from old song, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."  Not how most people live their lives or would want to, but still a valid perspective. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:58:18 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
I'm one of the resident Pokemaniacs so I'll definitely keep an eye on the journal. Helps that I enjoy Din's humor and the relative brevity of his writing- the Pokemon fandom is no stranger to the incredibly verbose.

I myself have never done a Nuzlocke before, despite having played pretty much every entry. Maybe that's something I should try to cross off my gaming bucket list if I get one of the upcoming Ultra games (speaking of, we're strangely thin on details for it despite being only 4 months away from release).

As for Lando's adventure- right off the bat Lando's already run into one of the biggest complaints I've heard for Sun and Moon: Numerous long, unskippable cutscenes. I was someone who was speaking lots of praise for the game after my first playthrough, but after thinking about it for a bit, I will say that Sun/Moon is probably the only Pokemon game I haven't replayed and probably will never replay, precisely because of said cutscenes. It's not something you notice much the first time through because you're just enjoying the story, but I can definitely see how it can get tiring when you're just trying to move along and play the game. Even Black and White wasn't as bad with this, mostly because sprites don't need to spend as much time emoting as their fancy schmancy 3D models do. A simple "press start to skip" option would solved all that, but Gamefreak is perpetually 10 years behind the competition in terms of basic features every RPG has.

Litten was the starter I was sure I was going to pick when the first info for Sun and Moon dropped. I loved the design and the later-revealed Torracat was great too. When Incineroar was revealed I was massively disappointed. I didn't like that they went for another fisticuffs-themed fire starter (though I guess they sidestepped it being too obvious by not making it Fighting type) and I just didn't like the design in general. I've seen some fanart of a theoretical quadrupedal Incineroar and I liked just about every single one of them more than what they ended up putting in the game. If I played with a Litten on my team I'd seriously consider just leaving it as a Torracat through the game, but I imagine Bam Bigalow's destined for for the wrestling ring. That -Attack and +Speed from his personality would be bad in PvP, but I imagine it might work out nicely for an in-game playthrough, because it spreads out his stats to be a bit more balanced.

Also somewhat appropriate that you named the bird Pepper, given the special move he'll get to learn.

if a Nuzlocke's main theme is attachment, then being stuck with whatever random Pokemon you find first in an area seems a bit counterpoint.

Din already touched on the reasons, but yeah, it's to encourage you to use Pokemon you would otherwise never think of using, instead of just picking out your favorites or the blatant gamebreakers beforehand. There's also the whole thing where if you stick with a Pokemon long enough you'll grow attached to it. Like Din said, this might actually be a lot more significant when it comes from a Pokemon design you didn't initially like too much.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »
Behind the scenes note: Because Lando could not determine his Trainer ID prior to choosing his starter, he initially chose a Popplio and named it Von Tussle (after Velma and Amber Von Tussle in the musical Hairspray).  I forget what its nature was, but I remember that it was very opposite of Litten's.  But once his Trainer ID was determined, he had to soft-reset in order to select Litten as part of Optional Rule #1. 

I mentioned this in the feature, but using my Trainer ID# will determine which starter I choose in any future Pokemon game.  It gives me that little "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get" element of surprise. 

And for those who have no idea who Bam Bam Bigelow is, here's a picture of him in the ring with Hulk Hogan.  This was back when the WWE was still called the WWF. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:01:18 PM »
New chapters are up, for anyone keeping up with Lando's story.  Hope you all are enjoying it.

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/3.html

Things are  already getting dicey for our young hero.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:46:53 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/6.html

New chapters are up!  Lando has
Spoiler: show
made to Akala Island!
There were some close calls along the way, so we'll see how Lando's adventures fare from here on out.
     -Peppermint Patty

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 03:18:54 AM »
Tapu Lele cursing Lando's adventures is certainly possible. Apparently there was some blurb in a Japanese prerelease info for Sun and Moon that said something like it once tricked two armies into killing each other just for fun.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 06:00:34 AM »
I did knot know that about Tapu Lele.  She sounds like a girl I knew in college who poisoned our circle of friends, manipulated several of us against each other, and just kinda played her fiddle like Nero when Rome burned.  Eventually we saw through her games and rebuilt our friendships stronger than ever, because in one semester you can't destroy something we've cultivated for years. 

Regarding Lando's adventure, I'm just lucky that
Lando's party did not get swept by Ilima's level 10 Smeargle.  That was a close call, but by the good grace of Tapu Koko, Bam Bigelow survived.

And I'm still salty at Hau for
killing DizzyDeanna.  That Spinda was cool.

ASIDE: You know, I was watching this episode of Huang's World in Hawaii and it's interesting how, even in a kiddified way, these games actually portrayed a greater truth to Hawaii than what we typically see as tourists, all through Team Skull.  Because of resort pricing on basic commodities and the fact that so many of those staples need to be imported (milk is $8- $10 a gallon), cost of living in that state is the absolute highest in this country.  I'd venture to guess that 1 in 5 people in Hawaii lives in poverty and/or are houseless.  Eddie Huang explored this community enclave of houseless in Hawaii that lives off the grid and outside of the law.  To them, they're not homeless (since that enclave community is like home to them), merely houseless.  Many of them have mental health issues, drug problems, whatever and no means of getting the help they need.  And Team Skull is kinda that last chance refuge for that 1 in 5.  If you pay attention to the games, they either live in the slum (Po Town) or in that trailer park, and that's the charmed existence provided there's room for you.  Otherwise, it's just surviving on the streets: cheatin' stealin' lyin' and gettin' high just to get by. 

I think that's a big reason why I like Team Skull.  Unlike the other evil teams that are all corporate funded and have the best of everything at their disposal (including fancy outfits), Team Skull are the disenfranchised.  In some ways, they are the victims rather than the villains. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:06:45 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/9.html

New chapters.  And let's just say that Lando
is having a pretty rough go in Akala Island.

I must say, though, that naming the new pokemon has been the most fun, yet sometimes most frustrating part of this whole thing.  There were times when I just stared blankly at the screen trying to come up with a name. 

I also want to ask if this is something folks might want to see more of in the future?  Because I was contemplating doing a Nuzlocke of Y with Exp. Share turned off in the future. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:56:38 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/12.html

Chapters 12 and 13 are up, and I think 12 is a must-read in this playlog novella. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/14.html

And Lando's Nuzlocke run has come to its conclusion.  Hope you all enjoyed it. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
An abrupt end, but at least it ended with a bang with Bam's last stand.

What do you think you'll do with your unfinished Moon save? Just keep it there in memoriam?