Author Topic: Virtual Console and the Switch

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Virtual Console and the Switch
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
Will Nintendo EVER get their shit together and release a proper platform for legacy titles? Or will we just have to deal with piecemeal Neo Geo releases and non-committal double talk from their execs until the whole (genius) platform goes up in flames?

Despite its false scarcity, this amazing device is starting to reach SEGA/Vita levels of botched.

http://bgr.com/2017/06/19/nintendo-switch-virtual-console-yes-no/

blarg

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Console and the Switch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:36:27 AM »
Despite its false scarcity, this amazing device is starting to reach SEGA/Vita levels of botched.

Wait, what did the Vita do?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:01:04 AM »

Not a thing.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
The Vita launch had a severe lack of marketing, which is hilarious because it was right around the time that Nintendo made an even bigger mess of the 3DS launch that the Vita had an opportunity to take at least some dominance in the handheld space.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »

Not a thing.

^ and that there is the whole problem with the Vita and the Switch

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »

Not a thing.

^ and that there is the whole problem with the Vita and the Switch

To be fair, it was only doing nothing if you weren't a fan of VNs, Dungeon Crawlers or MonHun Clones. Its otherwise essentially the Falcom/Atlus/Compile Heart/XSeeD/Marvelous/Bandaico/Dangan Ronpa machine.

At least the Switch isn't even a year old yet, so I'm not holding Nintendo's feet to the coals at this juncture (but it does need more than Zelda and Splatoon 2).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
^ Nintendo is clearly waiting to do...something with it's legacy content. It just sort of seems apparent that no one who is allowed to speak with the gaming press has any idea what that "something" actually is.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
Outside of including some Wii, GBA, and DS games, the Wii U Virtual Console was pretty lacking in comparison to the Wii's, and I was pretty disappointed by that. I mean, I get that there may be some hoops to jump through for third-party titles, but once the emulation software is running fine with several games, then they shouldn't really need to do any testing. It doesn't make much sense to me that they wouldn't have a more robust platform, even if only for their own titles. Hopefully they'll figure something out soon as the lack of any kind of VC is my major hang up about the Switch.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
Eh Rucks.. though... is the thing.

Like Nintendo has done an incredible job with the VC via Wii Wii U etc, I mean I finally got a chance to play Ogre Battle 64 after like 17 years. They literally released a VC title for the Wii U in 2017!

And the eshop has almost everything else...

The Wii U also had youtube and browsers and dozens of widgets... but the thing is all that didn't really pan out for them ultimately.

The Switch is a reaction to what they perceived as people not caring about all that other stuff... that means no VC, no tablet like stuff, just games.

It's kinda like when a lot of hardcore gamers abandoned Nintendo in the 2000s for no real reason other than "mah edge" and "mah waifu"

Or even now, the classic editions are cute, but if you seriously would rather play Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 than Breath of the Wild, then I'm just convinced you hated Zelda the whole time because that's pretty crazy talk IMNSHO.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »

Or even now, the classic editions are cute, but if you seriously would rather play Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 than Breath of the Wild, then I'm just convinced you hated Zelda the whole time because that's pretty crazy talk IMNSHO.

Except I already put 125 hours into BotW and am now just sort of waiting around for something else to use on my Switch.