Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »
I think I'd like the game to have it even more since the MIDI OST is....surprisingly off-putting.  I really don't want this beautiful game to JUST be bleeps and bloops now.

Wait, where have they mentioned that at all? Isn't that only for the 3DS version?

The series' composer has, unfortunately, kinda gone off the deep end in recent years. A small part of that can be seen with the way Sugiyama has been guarding his work (I mean, to be fair to the guy, conducting/composing is literally his day job, and nobody really needs to have software pirates rip their efforts off a game disk to craft bootleg CDs, no matter how much of a Japanese Imperialism apologist they may be), but it does mean that the DQ games now only come with Midi BGMs instead of an orchestrated soundtrack like the PS2 version of DQVIII did.

Then what the heck was I listening to in those demoes I watched? (I mean besides a lot of Japanese people yelling into their mics). Unless you're referring to either a non-japanese release or a limited edition pack-in?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2017, 02:53:09 AM »
@Agent D. - Well, certainly can't argue there. I just felt like there was no segue to that, and I guess I automatically ignored it when I wrote my earlier post. It does change the context, though. It doesn't necessarily mean that he ignored it because it looked like DBZ, but the implication is there, and with no other context to go off of as to why he still wants to pass on it, it's the safe assumption. I'm going to still give the benefit of the doubt, but only because Artimicia has had a history of poorly explained opinions. That excuse is losing its credicilty as time goes on, however. I certainly hope they expound upon it, since that would be extremely childish to ignore a game series just because it has used the monster and character designs from a world-famous artist, especially if you think the game itself looks "well-polish, presentable, engaging, and fun" and is the primordial essence from which one's assumed favorite genre stems from. That's not just being shallow, that's just depriving one's self of a potentially good game over a grudge, and while that's their choice to make, it's difficult for others to relate to without context.
To a certain extent, I can understand Artimicia's point of view even if I don't agree with it.  It's possible that Arti is turned off by the artistic style of the Dragon Ball series and has mistakenly transposed its story telling quality with the Dragon Quest franchise.

In any case, the reason I find it understandable is because I refuse to watch any films directed by Quentin Tarantino as I find the director unlikable and, as such refuse to enrich him by watching the content he produces.  If it means I miss out on films that I might potentially enjoy if I gave them the chance, then so be it.  My opinion is entirely irrational, but there it is.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »
I mean...it's again more a case of using the db franchise as a reason to not play it with the logic being "I'm not 7 so I wouldn't enjoy it". Not liking tarantino's style of film is a fair reason to avoid his stuff, thinking tarantino's films are all horror flicks because you watched planet terror and deciding to never watch one of his movies again because of that is fucking stupid and close minded. If arti had simply said "dragonball has shit for art, not terribly interested in playing a 60+hour game staring at those fuck awful characters" or something less like what I would say, I would never have said a peep as that would have been fine, but I get annoyed at people who use the childishness arguement as a reason to not watch something or play something. It's infuriating as fuck all. I have friends who absolutely refuse to watch archer or rick and morty because they're cartoons, and it drives me insane because no fucking child such watch either of those shows. "But they're fucking kiddy shows man, grow up".

Argh it's fucking so anger-inducing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:01:03 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
back on track, I watched a couple JP streams of DQ11 and the thread title is spot on, it just looks glorious and for us old people who like kiddy shows, it's a hit. 3million copies sold already and climbing.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
I think the Dragon Quest series is as big in Japan as the Grand Theft Auto games are in the West.  Sadly, Dragon Quest doesn't enjoy anywhere near that popularity in the West.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
I think the Dragon Quest series is as big in Japan as the Grand Theft Auto games are in the West.  Sadly, Dragon Quest doesn't enjoy anywhere near that popularity in the West.
Square-Enix's North American branch seems to act like the games don't even exist.