Author Topic: Artimicia's Food aid plea

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Artimicia's Food aid plea
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:27:24 AM »
Ok, well I guess this is slightly redundant with favorite food and drink.

But yes I'm literally interested in the exact, precise, detailed specifications of how you eat and drink every day for each meal, where you go, what you do, how you end up getting this part of life done.

Are you cooking, eating in, out, delivery, what kind of food, what drink of drinks, how do you manage, I'm in desperate need of tips and tricks. I want to hear from all the pros how they manage this incredibly complicated and challenging problem in the modern world...

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Artimicia's Food aid plea
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »
I cook/prepare my own food 90% of the time. Another 9,9% are meals and pre-packaged soups from the supermarket, but the good ones those cost 2-4 times of what I'd normally spend on a meal and are thus more like a treat than anything. The 0,1% is actually eating out. I don't do delivery, because it's expensive and I'm outside most areas of service anyway.

Basically, I have a set of recipes for fairly simple but nutritious meals and I rotate them depending on what's on sale/in season and what I feel like eating. These are usually for 2-4 people, so I put the other portions in the fridge or freezer to eat later.

My staples include but are not limited to:
-several pasta dishes
-vegetarian lasagna
-chili con sana
-a few different types of curry
-pea soup

But I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, so I also have a bunch of 'back-up' meal ideas that rely on leftovers. Favourites include:
-'chuck a bunch of sliced veggies and potatoes into a frying pan with some olive oil'
-'a riceball, a stack of cucumber slices and a bowl of tomato soup are totally a meal'
-'who cares this omelette is more vegetable and mushrooms than egg'
-'*bleep* yeah, farmer pancake time!'

As for stuff I drink... water and tea. The water from the tap here is great, so I just drink that. I also have a bunch of different teas and can just grab whatever I feel like drinking at the time. 

So, if you're having trouble finding meals that are both delicious and healthy, learn to cook a few recipes you do like. (And then be creative with the leftovers, because wasting food is a bad thing you shouldn't do.)

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »
My percentages are pretty much flipped from Tomara's. If I was a better person I'd cook my own food, but I currently live in a city where a restaurant or convenience store is always a stone's throw away, and being that I work until around 6PM every day I'm often just exhausted when I get home and I just don't want to bother. It's probably more like 7PM if I pick myself up to get my daily exercise in, after that I need to spend the rest of my night studying. If I "make" anything myself it'll probably be some kind of high-sodium microwave garbage.

A few years back I posted how I lost about 30kg from when I entered college. Since I started working I've put back about 10 of those, so I'm trying to turn that around now, but since I'm still in the same situation a lot of times I just don't eat lunch. I lost weight in the past by counting calories, but it's always hard to keep track of that when eating out even if the restaurant is nice to enough to try to provide you some numbers (they're usually way off).

Mornings usually involve a sandwich, rice ball or cereal, which will range somewhere from 300-500 kcal. If I eat out it's probably really easy for just one meal to end up giving me 1500-1700 kcal, which is why it makes sense to skip lunch, because those two meals will sum up to just about enough to let me cut weight slowly as long as I keep my exercise up (For reference, I'm around 175cm and 80kg right now).

Basically, my habits are not very healthy and you probably shouldn't follow my example.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
My basic routine:

Breakfast is an organic granola bar with organic coffee/tea, or organic breakfast cereal with rice milk.

Lunch is one of...
- leftovers
- homemade soup
- pizza bagel
- tuna fish sandwich
- organic pre-made soup
- pb&j

Dinner is an autoimmune paleo meal made from scratch by me and/or my wife.  One of the main staples is wild caught salmon cooked in the Instant Pot with coconut oil and aminos, with a veggie on the side and maybe some yuca fries.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
I'm a vegetarian so you probably don't care but almost every day I eat:

breakfast - 1 cup of coffee and either a banana or a fruit smoothie made from frozen berries/bananas/cashew milk.  Usually on sundays my fiance will make us breakfast.  Either vegan biscuits and gravy (my favorite food) or waffles with fruit (I don't do maple syrup so I usually slather it with sesame seed butter).

lunch - 90% of the time it's an olive and carrot salad that I bring from home.  Once every 2 weeks or so I go get a seitan rubin from the local co-op (or at least I used to until I found out that the GM is a nazi sympathizer. Probably won't go back).

Dinner - I cook most days because my fiance works 10-12 hours.  I generally make some kind of soup/chili/chowder that will last more than one day.  Lots of potatoes and corn in my recipes because I'm a gomer from the midwest and love eating potatoes and corn.  If the lady makes food it's almost always tofu or seitan with rice and some steamed veggies.  Her portions are HUGE though because she is a freak infuriating blessed with high metabolism and can eat whatever she wants and still be a stick figure.
Every Friday after she gets off work I take her out to eat at her favorite restaurant and she will generally gorge herself and down 4+ beers because being a kindergarten teacher makes people do crazy things.  I almost always get a black bean burger.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:38:21 PM by Rucks »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
Saturday is usually my day to cook en masse, so that way I can just heat 'n eat throughout the week.  I can just scoop stuff into a container to microwave during my lunch break at work, and just reheat a portion of food to eat at dinner.  I've gotten extremely friendly with my slow cooker.  That thing is awesome!

I'm a vegetarian and I discovered as I get older, my system is getting more sensitive.  For example, I cannot eat pizza from a pizzeria like I used to.  One slice has more cheese than I could comfortably eat in a day, plus it's a total grease, oil, and salt bomb.  I'm better off making my own pizza at home where I can regulate the amount and type of ingredients I use.  Another food that didn't used to give my problems was avocado, but 5 years ago eating some made me throw up and I've avoided them ever since. 

It's getting harder and harder for me to eat out because restaurant food packs extra salt, sugar, grease, oil, etc. into the meals; plus portion sizes at American restaurants are ginormous.  Even a children's portion is too much for me.  Yeah, I could eat salads, but why would I go out for a salad when I can make my own at home for much cheaper?  Instead of eating at restaurants, I'd rather "eat out" at a potluck or dinner-party or something at someone's house, but that doesn't happen very often.  I like to have my weekly "cheat meal" where I give myself a break from cooking/home food, but that's getting harder since I'm wary of whether something will trigger my digestive system into rebellion.  . 

The times I "eat out" are when my bicycle club does a mid-ride stop at a WaWa or a bakery or something, and even then it's only a quick snack.  Oh, and when I'm having the post-ride meal after a charity event.  Luckily, the charity rides that have my favorite post-ride food are those for the causes I'm most into.   

I'm up at the crack of dawn and have to get out to work early, so I pre-make my breakfast blast in the NutriBullet the night before.  It consists of a banana, an orange, a handful of spinach, honey, cinnamon, a heaping spoon of peanut butter, and milk.  I like to eat that with a couple piece of whole grain toast. 

Lunch is whatever portion of "Saturday en masse cooking" I packed. 

After work, and before I work out, I have a snack of nuts and raisins. 

Once I get home from my workout, I have a cup of coffee or tea, and a small bowl of yogurt with granola. 

Dinner is, again, something from my Saturday en masse cooking. 

And here's an appropriate song for this post.  It's called Pizza Bites Back by my friends' band Nellie and the Elephants: https://nellieandtheelephants.bandcamp.com/track/pizza-bites-back

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:36:03 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »
I eat junk food. I'm getting fat and have regular pains and aches as a result. Don't do what I do.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
I eat junk food. I'm getting fat and have regular pains and aches as a result. Don't do what I do.

This is me. Plus I drink way too much soda, eat only one or two meals a day, and have serious portion control issues. I don't have the patience, money, stamina, access, or motivation to be healthy.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »

This is me. Plus I drink way too much soda, eat only one or two meals a day, and have serious portion control issues. I don't have the patience, money, stamina, access, or motivation to be healthy.

Food is also an addiction.

There's research to suggest that the atutoimmune protocol diet will clear my psoriasis up (which has gotten worse since I took a round of antibiotics a month or so ago).  Still not doing it.  Changing the way you eat is one of the hardest things you can do.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:18:35 PM »
I actually FINALLY admit that my size is becoming a hindrance. The back pain is becoming intolerable and I can't filter out any other causes aside from being overly heavy. After my plane pull at the end of september, I'm gonna switch my eating habits around to start losing weight. It's gonna suck, I'm gonna be angry always, and I see alot of grilled chicken and steamed vegetables in my future.

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I try to eat well. I make Scottish-style oats (with raisins; honey; and cinnamon added) for breakfast every work day (took some serious gut conditioning to not get sick of it). I rarely ever go out for food (the exception being Friday nights, which is family pizza and movie night). I brown bag lunch every day for work, which is usually some sort of hearty soup; sandwich; or salad my wife has made from scratch. Dinner is usually centered around some sort of meat (most often fish or chicken), with vegetables as a side. I have no issues indulging in the occasional homemade bacon cheeseburger, or fudge brownie, or whatever. I recently gave up alcohol, and for now, soda has taken it's place, but I'm gonna work on cutting back. In the end, watching caloric intake, and strictly controlling sugar; fat; and sodium intake seems to keep me from gaining too much weight.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
isn't Coke worse for you than beer?  On a nutritional level at least.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »
I try to eat well. I make Scottish-style oats (with raisins; honey; and cinnamon added) for breakfast every work day (took some serious gut conditioning to not get sick of it). I rarely ever go out for food (the exception being Friday nights, which is family pizza and movie night). I brown bag lunch every day for work, which is usually some sort of hearty soup; sandwich; or salad my wife has made from scratch. Dinner is usually centered around some sort of meat (most often fish or chicken), with vegetables as a side. I have no issues indulging in the occasional homemade bacon cheeseburger, or fudge brownie, or whatever. I recently gave up alcohol, and for now, soda has taken it's place, but I'm gonna work on cutting back. In the end, watching caloric intake, and strictly controlling sugar; fat; and sodium intake seems to keep me from gaining too much weight.

This is an impressively balanced approach to eating.  Plenty of treats but a focus on nutrients.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
isn't Coke worse for you than beer?  On a nutritional level at least.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-worse-for-me-a-can-of-Coke-or-a-can-of-Budweiser-Why

Soda is way worse for you than beer, but when giving up alcohol it gets difficult to just drink water all the time.  Bottled juices have way too much sugar and just taste like artificially flavored syrup to me.  I prefer to juice my own fruits and veggies. 

Simply switching from drinking orange juice for breakfast to eating an orange made a difference.  Less sugar, more fiber, and better vitamin C absorption, because the orange wasn't irritating my system the way a tall glass of acidic orange juice can.

With water, a little splash of apple cider vinegar in it gives it a nice flavor and it's good for digestion (provided you use good quality ACV with "the mother" in it.)  Add some honey to the ACV water and it's yummy and healthy. 

For other health benefits, a small spoon of tart cherry extract in your water can be good.  But be sure to drink it right away, because if you leave tart cherry water in your lunchbox till lunch time, it will not taste that good.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun