Author Topic: Artimicia's Food aid plea

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's Food aid plea
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 01:37:11 PM »

I also don't like the word food, can we use "essence" instead?

no, because a "Artimicia's Essence aid plea" thread sounds...ah... somewhat less inviting to comment on.

Lol ok.

Well now I'm taking the solution I had when I was younger which is just lots of the Olive Garden.

I really like the Olive Garden I guess.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
Olive Garden is like "Italian" food, right? Why not try making your own version of some of their dishes at home? Basic Italian food is pretty easy to make and it's probably healthier than what a restaurant chain serves.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »
Olive Garden is like "Italian" food, right? Why not try making your own version of some of their dishes at home? Basic Italian food is pretty easy to make and it's probably healthier than what a restaurant chain serves.

I'm glad you asked Tomara, because I can reveal that I cannot stand to make stuff.. I once attempted to make a grilled cheese using a hot dog bun... that's the extent of my cooking experience, and it's because it was the only thing left in the apartment.

And it still went bad, so I didn't eat it..

On the other hand, I'm super skilled at microwaving, why I know all the tricks.

Like with Hungry Man dinners you should do 4 min the first time in and then you can actually go 2 min instead of 3 min if you want the second time in.. that rule also seems to generically apply to Marie Calendars, and other related items the instructions are really important until the final step some flexibility actually might yield some better potatos.

I also have a hot dog recipe I've worked on, microwave a hot dog for 52.3 seconds.

So yeah mostly microwaving things and the Olive Garden.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »
Basic Italian food is pretty easy to make and it's probably healthier than what a restaurant chain serves.

Especially in the case of Olive Garden, where the food isn't even authentic.
...Gotta admit, that Zuppa Toscana soup is pretty excellent, though. I could eat that stuff with some of them bread sticks all day.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »
Basic Italian food is pretty easy to make and it's probably healthier than what a restaurant chain serves.

Especially in the case of Olive Garden, where the food isn't even authentic.
...Gotta admit, that Zuppa Toscana soup is pretty excellent, though. I could eat that stuff with some of them bread sticks all day.

If Olive Garden isn't authentic, then screw Italy.

Also, Arti's description of her eating habits horrifies me in a deep place.

@Tomara and @Frostillicus - I made a homemade version of OG's zuppa toscana and it was one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:40 PM »
I'm glad you asked Tomara, because I can reveal that I cannot stand to make stuff.. I once attempted to make a grilled cheese using a hot dog bun... that's the extent of my cooking experience, and it's because it was the only thing left in the apartment.

No one is instantly skilled at cooking.
Just like you learned all the tricks of the microwave through time, spending it cooking will make you better at it.

Also, Arti's description of her eating habits horrifies me in a deep place.

Same.
As in, I wouldn't bother planning for retirement.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »

No one is instantly skilled at cooking.
Just like you learned all the tricks of the microwave through time, spending it cooking will make you better at it.

Exactly. Just start with something really simple and slowly work your way up from there. There are plenty of delicious foods that are easy to make, even for beginners. Heck, I'm no where near a skilled cook. I can't do anything fancy. It just looks like I have skills because I have a few simple 'signature' dishes.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
There's a serious lack of specificity on internet forum discussions, and it's grinding my tent.

So, what exactly counts as a basic signature dish and what exactly do you do to obtain it?

Also my Hungry Man dinner binge was nothing like my 2 weeks of Bacanators... now that's something that could not be sustained...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:14:40 PM by Artimicia »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
Learn to make scrambled eggs well. It takes little knowledge, but they're easy to mess up. However, it gives you a grasp of things like cooking timing, how to handle a oan and a spatula, and it helps you learn how to break an egg. I would even say use the eggs as a basis for learning how to make an omelette, but do it without a filling. Get good at letting the eggs cook so they don't just fall apart when they move, and better understand how the heating of your frying pan works (how long it takes to get "cooking hot" for example).

Don't get overwhelmed by people and their ELABORATE methods of making scrambled eggs either. Mix 2 eggs in a bowl, heat the pan with a little butter or oil, whatever you prefer, when the butter is fully melted or the oil is hot, add the eggs. Scramble as much as you like, trying to get the cooked egg off the bottom and the uncooked egg down to the bottom. Play with it to find how high you should leave the heat, how long before you move the eggs, etc. Cooking is fun, don't make it into a chore.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2017, 01:54:31 AM »
Yep, eggs are a good starting point.

Boiling pasta is another. Follow the instructions on the package and check occassionally if you're not sure. That's all. And here's a basic tomato & basil sauce recipe to finish it off. The nice thing about tomato sauce is that all you really need is the olive oil, tomatoes and garlic. Everything else is up to your taste. So if you don't want basil and sugar, don't put in basil and sugar.

As for your basic signature dishes, what are your absolute favourite things to eat? The trick is to find some easy, at-home versions of those and master those.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2017, 11:53:22 PM »
Since we have a nutrition-ish thread already this seemed like a good place to put this...

I recently tried Soylent for the first time.  The cleverly(?) named complete meal in a drink thingy that's been around a few years now but I never really gave it a chance before.  The idea behind this product is to make something that somebody could theoretically live healthily off of if it was all they ever ate (or drank I guess...).  It has 100% of the nutrition the human body needs, and not anything it doesn't.  Supposedly, anyway.  That's actually a pretty complex thing to test in practice.

I know a lot of people are grossed out at the concept, but let me just say: I like real food.  I even like cooking occasionally, but it's not necessarily something I want to do all the time.  I have no intention of giving up real food and consuming nothing but Soylent.  However, sometimes you just want to eat only because your body needs food and you want to do so with minimal fuss.  This is especially true (at least I think it is...) for single people living alone like me.  I don't need every meal to be fancy, and frankly keeping stuff like fresh fruits and vegetables in my kitchen all the time can be a pain given their short shelf lives.

Often times when one wants food with no fuss you can end up turning to junk food, most of which is horrible for you.  But it's cheap and convenient and it will fill you up.  I see Soylent as a pretty good replacement there.  It will fill you up and even if its nutritional formulation isn't perfect, it has got to be better than junk food.  And it's even more convenient than ordering a pizza or something (if you already have it around anyway...).

So how does it actually taste?  I found it more palatable than I expected.  Which is not to say that it's delicious or anything, but it's...inoffensive if you're being generous.  Bland if you're not.  But it's not nearly as gross as the whole thing sounds.  And it's surprisingly filling for being a drink...I mean it should be considering everything in it, but it still fills a little weird to get full from drinking something.

I do feel like the pricing needs a little work...I mean it's not super expensive or anything.  It's definitely cheaper than eating out (by a lot...).  And it's competitive with, like TV dinner style instant meals.  But it's still not as cheap as going to your local grocery store, picking up some basic ingredients, and making something from scratch.

Anyway, it's interesting to experiment with.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
I can't imagine its any better (and probably cheaper) than making some Protein Powder Milkshakes and then taking a multivitamin, but maybe I'm wrong. How would you compare the flavor to that (assuming you've had Protein powder before). All I need for a tolerable protein milkshake is the powder (usually Chocolate), milk, and a frozen banana. Although it does seem like Soylent is better as far as fiber goes.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
My trepidation with these powders is that it's impossible to get the enzymes you get from fresh plants that help the body actually process the nutrients.  Yeah, they're not necessary, but they help.  If I were to go the Soylent/protein powder/multivitamin route, I'd make a small juice to go with it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one who immediately thought "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!" upon reading that and wanted to make a joke about about Kevadu being a cannibal.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one who immediately thought "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!" upon reading that and wanted to make a joke about about Kevadu being a cannibal.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4

I recently tried Soylent for the first time.  The cleverly(?) named complete meal in a drink