Author Topic: Artimicia's Food aid plea

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's Food aid plea
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 03:06:43 AM »
Yes, the name is intentional.  I suppose you could call it an homage, but it's a strange thing to name your product after...

I can't imagine its any better (and probably cheaper) than making some Protein Powder Milkshakes and then taking a multivitamin, but maybe I'm wrong. How would you compare the flavor to that (assuming you've had Protein powder before). All I need for a tolerable protein milkshake is the powder (usually Chocolate), milk, and a frozen banana. Although it does seem like Soylent is better as far as fiber goes.

I've never tried protein powder before.  But from what I understand, protein powder is made for a very different purpose.  It's not trying to be a complete source of nutrition at all, just a supplement.  And it's obviously very high in protein, actually more protein than you would need if it was all you were eating.

Balance is hard.  There's stuff like Ensure that's obviously been around for a while too, but Ensure has a surprising amount of sugar in it.  Enough that if you actually tried to live off of it you would be consuming considerably more sugar than you really ought to be.  It's probably because they made it sweet so people would actually want to drink (and therefore buy) it.

That's why I prefer Soylent's philosophy: Try to make something that you could theoretically live off of if it was all you ever consumed.  Not because I want to live off of it, but because even if all I'm going to be using it for is the occasional meal replacement that's still the best metric to make sure it's a healthy meal replacement.

Of course the science of nutrition is ever changing and it's entirely possible there's something missing from the Soylent formula.  But it's still bound to be better than most of the alternatives...

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 05:41:42 AM »
And isn't also said that consuming nutrients in liquid form is a double edged sword?  You get faster absorption, but that could cause blood sugar spikes.  Plus, you feel hungry again sooner because liquids digest so fast.  And I remember with early juicers, like the Juiceman, the end product would have no fiber in it.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
I do recall us talking about Soylent a good while back and we already exhausted our supply of jokes back then.

I've never tried protein powder before.  But from what I understand, protein powder is made for a very different purpose.  It's not trying to be a complete source of nutrition at all, just a supplement.  And it's obviously very high in protein, actually more protein than you would need if it was all you were eating.

It's true that protein powder is...well, obviously lots of protein and primarily is aimed towards weightlifters and other athletes, but most people drink it with milk and probably some other stuff blended in which balances it out a little (it tastes really nasty with just water). Once you do your initial calculations for what you put into your shake, making it becomes second nature and it only takes like 5-10 minutes for you to make one, which is only slightly more work than opening a can of Soylent and downing it (although I guess you gotta wash the blender too). Also why I mentioned the multivitamin since protein powder obviously isn't going to help you out much there, and I can't imagine blending a B complex into your protein shake is going to give you a good time.

I consider things like Ensure to basically just be preblended protein powder drinks, but as you say they add way too much sugar and other crap to it to make sure its palatable, which defeats the whole damn point of using protein powder in the first place. I see it and similar products used really often in care for bedridden people (generally the elderly), sometimes even as the sole source of nutrition. Though said people usually are deteriorating regardless so it's kind of hard for me to tell you if someone could live healthily off of just Ensure. I'm not sure if Soylent's really any different because it's still the same basic idea of taking a certain balance of carbs/fats/protein and adding vitamins and minerals to it.

I took a quick look at the nutritional facts for Soylent and I'm getting the impression it really doesn't offer anything above a self-made protein shake and a multivitamin, but I do see the value in not wanting to bog yourself down in figuring out what to put in a do-it-yourself shake especially if you're not already used to counting calories and such.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 04:05:40 PM »
I tried a few "basic dishes" and it failed miserably really.

Turkey and Meat and bread.. turkey tastes rancid, part of Kirkland's and Kroger and all these "pig shit" dispensaries to gas the masses with poor quality nutrients... I imagine.

I'm told The Amnish have great ingredients, although I'm not anywhere near the Amnish, so I'm out of luck there, not that I would want to support the Christian terrorist state in Pennsylvania at any rate...

I'm just going to Olive Garden every day basically, it's actually not really crazy costly compared to alternatives when I compared the options.

The only problem honestly is that it's kinda far, so I end up having to plow through a ton of traffic, badly marked straight signs, aggressive drivers who also can't drive, and atrocious parking lots, and then more bad street signs, a few really ugly buildings, a bunch of wayward pedestrians, aggressive people on bikes who think Biking demonstrates a powerful committment to social justice, but in fact endangers everyone while driving, a few tight streets with people who leave their cars basically on the road and aggressively put the cars even more out on the road in response to criticism about being on the road, aaaaaaaaand traffic, lots of traffic with tons of cars everywhere that make everything take like 10000x longer than it should...

|Ahem, but at least I like the Olive Garden.

That seems to be an acute failure in western civ... too many personalities with the, I spent 391234 hours and made the most perfect thing ever, it's such a perfect burger, whatever.

But wait, how do I get it? Oh you just gotta traverse legions of poorly maintained roads and awkwardly designed signage that constantly endangers your well-being, in the vain hopes that it will produce "but it was worth it" at the end. It's never worth it, never, ever, not once, never will be.

Or I spent like, 1234098123409 hours gathering the ingredients by helicoptor and freight and now that I've expended 9000 calories getting it all together I'll get 3000 back!

Failure to account for opportunity costs and inputs is why western civ is so physically gross and obese compared to other places, no measuring or weighing, just a blind assertion of superiority. I can maintain healthy weights eating nothing but fried chicken and drinking soda, because I accurately measure the energy to get it, and because I don't eat it all at once.. etc... etc...

I am not masochistic, at all, like, AT ALL, and consequently I react negatively to it being forced upon me, as anyone would react negatively to being forced as parts of things they don't understand or desire.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:19:38 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
^
wtf ?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
*Shakes head*

I can't even. You're just making excuses not to cook Arti. It's not this big deal you're making it out to be.

I'm gonna ignore the rest of the schitzophrenic rant.

Just get a cookbook for beginners, pick a few recipes and follow it. Or watch some youtube tutorials.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
I'm beginning to think Arti has legit social anxiety disorder or somesuch.  Life is hard, sure.  But not as hard as she's making it out to be, and especially not in the US.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
I think Arti needs some Soylent...

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
*Shakes head*

I can't even. You're just making excuses not to cook Arti. It's not this big deal you're making it out to be.

Just get a cookbook for beginners, pick a few recipes and follow it. Or watch some youtube tutorials.

Agreed. Cooking is one of those basic life skills that make your life easier once you get the hang of it.

Arti, if meat is too difficult and/or decent quality meat is hard to obtain, start with some vegetables that are hard to screw up. And hey, it's okay to take some shortcuts. Frozen veggies, and even some of the canned stuff, are actually pretty good, sometimes even better than fresh produce (which isn't always all that fresh). I used this for dinner today:

Those vegetables are pre-cut and grilled. You just throw them in the frying fan, shuffle them around for a bit until they're nice and hot, and add some salt to taste. That is a totally okay thing to do. It's a little more expensive (I only buy this when it's on sale), but if you have more money than time and cooking skills, shortcuts like this can be very helpful.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 09:54:17 AM »
Bitch I told you to scramble some goddamn eggs, GET TO IT!

TASTY!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »
I'm told The Amnish have great ingredients, although I'm not anywhere near the Amnish, so I'm out of luck there, not that I would want to support the Christian terrorist state in Pennsylvania at any rate...

The only terror here is mine in thinking that anyone would willingly pass up Amish food.  Those folks know their way around a kitchen.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:03 PM »

The only terror here is mine in thinking that anyone would willingly pass up Amish food.  Those folks know their way around a kitchen.

+1 there, dude.  Last summer (2016), we took my aunt to visit Amish country, since she had seen television specials on it in India and wanted to see it for herself.  We ate at this place called Miller's Smorgasbord and it was an absolute feast.  We're all vegetarians and there were so many incredible veggie dishes to choose from our minds just boggled.  And all of it was simply delicious.  I love good farm-to-table grub.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:49:41 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
Miller's is great! My sister used to live in Lancaster and she took us there one time when my wife and I visited her.

Shady Maple is also wonderful if you ever get a chance to go back that way.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »
Experiments with Soylent pt 2:
OK, my first trial of Soylent was with the prepackaged bottles.  I concluded that it was...surprisingly not bad.  With the bottles you just open one up and drink it.  It goes down smooth and even comes in a couple (mild) flavors.  Heck, they even have a caffeinated version in case you want it for breakfast (though I didn't try that).

But the 'real' Soylent experience is buying their powder and then mixing it yourself.  At least that's how they started out.  The powder also has the advantage of being noticeably more economical on a per-meal basis (not that the bottles are super expensive or anything...).  So I figured why not give the powder a try...

Holy hell this crap is nasty.

First problem: It's surprisingly hard to mix properly.  The official instructions say all you have to do is combine the powder and water and then shake, and they even give you an appropriately sized pitcher with a screw top so you can close it firmly and shake away.  But the solid to liquid ratio here is a lot higher than most drink mix type things and even after several minutes of shaking (they claim it takes like a minute...) I still had doughy chunks floating around in it.  And they're as gross as that sounds.  Even the parts without doughy chunks never really felt a little grainy, nowhere near as smooth as the bottled stuff.  A blender would probably do a better job, but again there's nothing in the official instructions about needing a blender.  It's kind of deceptive to pretend you don't need one if you actually do.

Second problem: The total lack of flavor.  I said the bottled stuff was bland and for sure it didn't have a strong flavor or anything, but there were flavored versions.  There was something there.  But the powder only comes in plain and it's on another level of bland.  It's like drinking plain pure white flour mixed with water.  Feels like a chore...maybe I'll try adding a little cocoa powder or something myself.

I don't know if I'll even be able to finish all these pouches I got...