Author Topic: Secret of Mana: The Remake!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: The Remake!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
I'm with Andvari on the designs. It suits the game well...just keep the tiger Primm costume locked in a box buried in the ocean...shit is too creepy.

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »
Fuck outta here, the design is perfect! I can't imagine Randi looking realistic, this is the absolute perfect design for a remake.

Seriously, and ps4 players looking to team up when this drops I'm all over it.

I'll be on it. And yeah, I thought it looked fine. They adapted the sprites to 3D fairly faithfully. What more did you guys want?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
^ it not to be so butt ugly

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 04:51:54 PM »
^ it not to be so butt ugly
ur face is butt ugly!

TASTY!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »
On a technical level it's...not very impressive.  Low polygon counts, flat textures, etc.  That has nothing to do with the fact that the art is stylized.  I don't think anyone was asking for a photo-realistic Secret of Mana remake...but frankly this looks like something made for smartphones, not the PS4 or modern PCs.

...actually are you sure they're not making a smartphone version?

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
Wow, that is unexpected. No real problems with the art style. Heads are a little big in the FMVs, but not bad, and the gameplay footage looks very faithful. No announcement of how multiplayer coop will work. I REALLY hope it has couch coop like the original. I've wanted to play it with my wife, but the outdated multiplayer interface structure got a bit frustrating. I'm sure they'll clean that up with a bit more modern sensibilities (though I love the rings).

Yay!

Spoony Mage

• I aim to misbehave and to please.
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Shoot to kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
I am stoked!  As in my inner child crawled out from under a rock and wept tears of joy stoked!  I'm looking forward to hearing how the soundtrack fares...or if there will be an option to play with the original OST.  So much of the music still gives me goosebumps.

I'm not getting the hate for the designs, though.  It's cute.  Not "moe moe, trying too hard to give me diabetes" cute, but just quaintly cute.  I think it fits the atmosphere of the SNES game quite well.
Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »
I'm with Andvari on the designs. It suits the game well...just keep the tiger Primm costume locked in a box buried in the ocean...shit is too creepy.

Man, screw having to deal with Doom Wall mk II with Primm in subpar equipment.

That being said, I'd rather have seen them give her the Kung Fu Dress costume instead (or even better, make an option to switch between default outfits and whatever they're wearing for armor; although that would mean being stuck with the Kung Fu Dress for most of the game and shudder).

Other things I'm hoping for: Fixing Charge Attacks to make the higher levels worth a damn. Fixing Chain Casting. And Fixing the Rebel Base in the Sunken Continent so that we don't have to grind Master Ninjas for the tier 8 Axe and Glove Orbs. Maybe also Fixing the Weapon Effects so that the final Axe really is the best Axe in the game instead of the second best.

As for the graphics or level of effort put into the game, I think people are missing the forest from the Mana Tree. The important part about this is the fact that they're pretty definitely segueing into SD3 after this and SD1, and finally provide it with an official localization (and maybe some serious bug fixes).

That being said, the original designs were pretty cartoonish/anime/chibi to begin with.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 03:54:52 AM »
After the charming 2D visuals of the original, it's hard to stomach this one. At first glance thought it was a cheap mobile game.

Now, an official Seiken Densetsu 3 translation would be news-worthy. One can dream...

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
I personally have really low standards for graphics so I don't really mind the low quality. I think they reproduced the original artstyle pretty well and to me that's more important.

Kinda wish a Switch version was included but at least it'll have a PC version. That price point seems kinda high, though.

Whether or not I'll get it depends on what kind of features it'll have. Online multiplayer seems kinda obvious but I wonder if they'll keep the restrictions the original game had.

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
I'll be picking this up for the PS4 I just hope it's physical.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »
My opinion on the graphics: They don't look amazing in screenshots, but I get the feeling looking at it like it's going to look a lot better in motion. That being said, I think even comparing the graphics to a mobile game is a little unfair. Three years ago, I think any one of us would have shit our pants if a mobile game had those kind of graphics.

Anyway, I'd never pay $40 for a Mana game 'cause they always seem a little too surreal to me. Don't really know any other way to explain that.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »
Want but not paying that price. So I will do the usual thing..... wait for a good sale.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
they always seem a little too surreal to me

Personally I think that's the appeal of the series, but it does make me wonder if that's also why the series got less appealing over time, because that tone doesn't lend itself well to the more complex tales people expected out of games after a certain point. I don't think most people remember anything past Legend with much fondness, and even that game is pretty controversial (as well as being the pinnacle of obtuse gaming systems via its damn near unexplained forging system).