Author Topic: Secret of Mana: The Remake!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: The Remake!
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »
I guess honestly it just boils down to I don't really play remasters of games of already played, no matter how nifty they try to make them.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »
they always seem a little too surreal to me

Personally I think that's the appeal of the series, but it does make me wonder if that's also why the series got less appealing over time, because that tone doesn't lend itself well to the more complex tales people expected out of games after a certain point. I don't think most people remember anything past Legend with much fondness, and even that game is pretty controversial (as well as being the pinnacle of obtuse gaming systems via its damn near unexplained forging system).

To be fair, a lot of what happened to the Mana series lies in the way Squeenix grossly mishandled that and every other non-FF/DQ IP from their pre-Squeenix days.

Legend had some pretty deep facets to it, but a lot of it was buried under SaGa levels of obtuse discovery, and it took itself as more of a side-story at that point in history which made it a poor successor to the SuperNES era games. Then Sword happened where the game went absolutely nowhere in spite of all the reams of text added to the hacked up remains of Adventure's plot & game structure because most of it was dedicated to trying to build a continuity between the series, which never really existed in the first place (on top of the devs making the brilliant decision of having Secret happen in the far future, which meant that nothing ever really referenced that game aside from the stuff that SD3 took from it, and instead made almost all of the references towards SD3, which nobody outside of Japan actually played without getting into emulation, along with Legend's loose plotlines suddenly getting elevated to series critical status, which continues to sit at odds with everything else). And then World of Mana made everything worse due to building Dawn's plot on top of Legend's plot while completely fucking it up, with Children being set shortly thereafter despite it coming out first, and also completely fucking it up due to not being able to actually reference anything beyond the staples, which Dawn fucked up, which led to a number of plot holes and continuity errors. While Heroes basically built itself on the back of SD3, which again, few people outside of Japan had actually played, nevermind it being a prequel with nothing really to do with the original game's plot beyond a bunch of callbacks. Something, something, Friends of Mana, something.

And yeah, there's definitely a surreal effect going on with the earlier game's plots. Adventure is basically some kind of 80s/early 90s anime OVA plot and in all that it implies. Secret, despite the utter genericness of its plot, is a mixture of weird and goofy tangents
Spoiler: show
(like the Scorpion Gang, rescuing Santa, Popoie's "Magic" act, etc)
and being fairly morbid
Spoiler: show
(all of your party's stated goals are either failed or met with some kind of tragic outcome; Randi mets his mother in her final moments, Primm helps to save her fiance from a fate worse than death by helping him kill himself, and Popoie recovers his memory and returns home to find it in ruins with only his grandfather still alive, the party fails from stopping the revival of the Mana Fortress and saving it costs them both Flammie and Popoie).
And SD3's plot is probably the overall weakest due to running three relatively similar storylines concurrently and lacks the morbidity of Secret's plot to help define it past that era.

The other major problem with the series is the fact that it never really evolved past the SuperNES/Famicom era. Legend's gameplay was incredibly shallow despite the forging (it was basically a more stat-driven River City Ransom). Sword was a clusterfuck formed from mashing together all of the gameplay mechanics from the previous games despite none of it fitting together all that well. Children was a randomly generated dungeon crawler (the worst kind of RPG design outside of MMOGrinding and Gacha Hell), with a very badly forced multiplayer mechanic. Dawn's legendarily bad Unreal Physics gameplay needs no further exposition, and Heroes had a really shoddy RTS design complete with many of the genre's failings (bad pathfinding, Hero units who rendered most grunts as little more than fodder, etc), along with that particular brand's own failings (like Hero units who were constantly falling behind the powercurve and required bending over backwards to try to combat).

Also, those of you who are complaining about Secret's graphics are in for a real shock with SD3. Despite the Unity feeling that this remake has to it, Secret's design aesthetic was incredible nearly 25 years ago, and that still shows through now. Despite having superior hardware and techniques to make it with, SD3 never really reached Secret's level of design. SD3 looked better than Secret on the Super Famicom, but I doubt it'll do the same when they get around to remaking it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »
I would love to hear how the pure land theme is going to sound and i'll be honest as mentioned before i'm going to get it probably day one too bad it's digital only for us though but oh well. I grew up with this game I was 9 when it came out. I also watched a stream saying that it's going to be only local co-op multiplayer which I never played when I was young since I didn't have the multi-tap.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 12:44:15 AM »
I would love to hear how the pure land theme is going to sound and i'll be honest as mentioned before i'm going to get it probably day one too bad it's digital only for us though but oh well. I grew up with this game I was 9 when it came out. I also watched a stream saying that it's going to be only local co-op multiplayer which I never played when I was young since I didn't have the multi-tap.

I'm most looking forward to Mandala, the Sunken Continent, the Mana Fortress and the Final Two Boss Fights' tracks (Pure Land is up there though along with Ice Country). Kinda annoying that the trailer cuts out right before Randi gets banished as that has two of the best tracks of the game right there (along with the Mana Tree and Mana Beast Attack segments for those in the know). At least, from what it looks like, it looks pretty faithful to the original (especially the mini-map; although Randi should've gotten up from his fall by Handspringing dammit). Plus, we know that Chest Throwing and the 4x item limit are still in effect (I wished they had gone shopping dammit; dat Item Ring).

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
Oh the theme of Dark Lich is amazing.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 08:51:55 PM »
http://gematsu.com/gallery/secret-of-mana/september-6-2017/

More screenshots, including the item ring (though its lacking the AI option). Lets hope they have an option to alter the background of the status screen because I much prefer the scrolling forest background over a darkened screen.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 06:08:19 AM »
Hoping that claim that it'll be local co-op only won't be true. It seems like such a no-brainer feature for the game to have even if it's clunky to implement (given that the screen's always centered on Randi and characters can get stuck- but that's not too hard to fix).

TheCaterStreetHangman

• "If you want to be strong, learn how to fight alone."
    • View Profile
Secret of Mana Remake's Visuals
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 01:47:46 AM »
Agent D.
Fuck outta here, the design is perfect!

Andvari
I don't mind the chibi art style it suits the game well.

Mickeymack92
I'll be on it. And yeah, I thought it looked fine. They adapted the sprites to 3D fairly faithfully. What more did you guys want?

Prime Mover
No real problems with the art style.

Spoony Mage
I'm not getting the hate for the designs, though.

Hathen
I think they reproduced the original artstyle pretty well and to me that's more important.

The listed users above pretty much voiced how I personally feel about the visuals. But I'm still going to gather more info on the game even after it's release to see if i truly want to immediately purchase it.

My brother and I had a blast with the SNES original... so let's see how this remake stacks up.
"All it takes is a spark to ignite a fire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWBFkaXMyw

54th All-Japan Aikido Demo (2016) by Sensei Ryuji Shirakawa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM3B62JM9s8

Titanfall 1 (Militia) [Lobby Theme #2] {Very Epic Track}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1tVgQrjHM

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »
I missed this game growing up and I do want to play it but the art style looks bad in a mobile games kind of way. I might just play the original when this drops. I prefer sprites over most visuals anyway.
Will keep my expectations low since its Enix. I hope its good.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 02:51:55 AM »
I missed this game growing up and I do want to play it but the art style looks bad in a mobile games kind of way. I might just play the original when this drops. I prefer sprites over most visuals anyway.
Will keep my expectations low since its Enix. I hope its good.

As long as they don't mess around with it too much, it'll be alright. Sadly, games released in 1993 have become rather long in the tooth nowadays and the best way to play this particular game is with two other people (who you hopefully get along with, less you find yourself staring at the weapon select screen for excessive stretches of time as you and your buddies fight over who gets the Sword).

What I'm wondering is if they'll include all the random ass enemy animations for things like getting stunned/eating a critical hit (even boss monsters like the Fire Gigas would occasionally display a grimaced face) or even the random 'lose a turn' action like how those books would occasionally flip pages to something useless like a picture of a tropical beach/pron or those floaty eyeballs occasionally shedding tears (seriously, Secret has some weird and amazing shit running under the hood while a lot of games from that era were lucky to have anything more than an idle animation for the PC, and even now don't really do as much as they could).