Author Topic: Secret of Mana: The Remake!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: The Remake!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 02:23:37 AM »
I take back anything nice I've said about this remake/port/bare naked nostalgia cashgrab. It takes an almost dedicated level of phoned-in effort to make a notoriously buggy game even more busted and unstable. Christ almighty, the goddamn overworld music cuts out when you go to take a screengrab of the face and it has yet to come back for me. Not that I'm missing much as the remixed music has been far more miss than hit (I'll admit to liking the redux'd Desert music, but buttrock Matango, "no we are going to include the roars when using Angel's Fears and thus not actually get a chance to listen to the damn song" White Dragon legend bit, the lighthouse theme abortion, and about a dozen other overdone tracks (like Scorpion Army's theme), really drag the whole experience down; thankfully Crystal Forest and Ice Palace managed to break even, but it really doesn't salvage the rest of the experience). And that's on top of the five crashes I've experienced so far, shit like spell animations getting so queried up that I step back into a room I had left earlier only to have said spell fire off out of loving nowhere, both enemies and AI allies getting pushed out of bounds on a regular basis, casting a Fire Bouquet and having Analyzer come out, and hilariously awful (if at all) voice direction at times.

The added scenes or the ninja'd in Pukka reference (hell, I've been hitting references that I don't even recognize like the doll in Todo or the picture Mandala) do not make up for all of the instability I've seen thus far. This is just a really lazy port and I'd advise people to stay away from this or any other Squeenix 'remake' in the future.

Also, I love how much nicer the weapon redesigns are, except for the poor whip which only got pallet swaps even though we're in Flail territory dammit. The Axes aren't getting much love either, but at least there's actual visual differences between them versus the three different Black Leather Whips.

...okay. I'll admit it. I kinda do like how much easier it is to grind Weapon/Spell Skill levels are in this game. Especially since the changes made are both simple and utterly mindbogglingly obvious these changes are. The first is the obvious change to the Girl and Sprite's weapon level growth not being half of the Boy's rate, while the second is simply allow MP to also be restored upon leveling up (even if it makes getting to those added scenes even stupider since there's almost no reason to ever stay at an Inn or even revisit the Wind/Water Palaces for their free healing).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

TheCaterStreetHangman

• "If you want to be strong, learn how to fight alone."
  • The absence of enduring hardships = no growth
    • View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: The Remake!
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 10:50:13 PM »
My friend told me to hold off on this game. I suppose I'll try it at a later time :-/
"All it takes is a spark to ignite a fire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWBFkaXMyw

54th All-Japan Aikido Demo (2016) by Sensei Ryuji Shirakawa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM3B62JM9s8

Titanfall 1 (Militia) [Lobby Theme #2] {Very Epic Track}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1tVgQrjHM