Author Topic: Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4

Lard

• View Profile
Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »
Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4 With New Elements And “What If” Story

Remaster of the PS3 game.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/shining-resonance-refrain-announced-playstation-4-new-elements-story/

Sounds like Sega is getting serious about Shining.....20 years too late!

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/sega-finally-thinking-worldwide-audience-expand-shining-series/
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:33:03 AM »
Sonofabitch. And I just went and necro'd a nearly 3 yr old thread to post the same (and right after you posted this one). Welp! It was nice knowing everyone.

But yeah, the old producer is out and probably for the better since its hard to do any worse than relegate a franchise to the most obscure niche within the darkest corners of Japan.

Also Sega mentioning The West in any context whatsoever is practically frontpage worthy on its own.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
Shining Resonance looked like it had mega potential, but wasn't there... something really really wrong with it?  Can't remember...
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »
Yoooooo, I've been waiting for this game to release in the US for years. The soundtrack is really nice (I even chose it as one of my picks for MOTY2015. If they really do release it over here, then I'll pick it up day one. :)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Shining Resonance looked like it had mega potential, but wasn't there... something really really wrong with it?  Can't remember...

Initially it looked like a JRPG where you're playing as a fuck off dragon that needs a party of humanoids to 'get to deculture' you (i.e. play music for you non-mecha anime nerds out there) so that you aren't just a mindless rampaging beast.

Then the game came out and it was a really bad Tales of Clone that's both dull as dishwater and has a protagonist who did the 'turns into a dragon' thing worse than FE Fates' Corrin did (both are stupid self-insert walking power fantasies who can magically do the dragon, bang everybody, and needs the power of song to stay not-Berserk, but at least Corrin occasionally whips out some dragon breath hadokens and drill limbs while fighting as a human (and eventually comes away with a flaming chainsaw sword); whereas Shining Resonance's MC just slaps his generic JRPG sword onto his forehead when Draconing and calls it a day). Then again, I don't think SR's MC ever sets his sword to stun like Conquest's Corrin does (although, IIRC, its primarily because there isn't enough plot in SR that such an issue has the time to crop up).

Basically, it'd take somebody like Yoko Taro to come up with a game where the protagonist is a walking force of nature that a bunch of do-gooding, well-intentioned extremists tame by providing sentience to, only to have said protagonist basically question their role in whatever holy war s/he got drafted into and opts to say things like 'nuts to that' and fucks off with their newly gained sentience to do whatever it is that s/he feels like doing, or 'fuck that' and decides that s/he really doesn't have that much of a stake in the war and thus turns on everybody.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.