Author Topic: The importance of endings in video games

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
The importance of endings in video games
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
Ok so I'm trying to understand just why I care more about Game of Thrones than like all the other games that come out, or why I can't stand MOBAs and other popular genres, is because they lack what I would consider one of the most important elements in an artistic genre, which is a definitive ending of some kind...

Not necessarily the most happy ending, but definitely, an ending.

Even though Game of Thrones isn't a video game series, as Season 7 finishes I start to get the really strong sense that this is something where you have all the tension and drama and whatever else, but the ending will actually be something that you get to really finish. You walk away satisfied going, oh yeah! So that happened to so and so, and that's how what happened to that person, and so on and so forth...

Of course, most video games have endings, even really bad or old ones, or long and short ones... but some don't, and some are pretty popular.

Like take the World of Warcraft, which I've played for many years, as time went on, for whatever reason, the final boss, for lack of a better description, was removed from most player's possible completion.. unlike WC2 and WC3 which were beaten handily by moi, the MMO takes hours and hours and lots of mini-requirements like networking in order to finally beat the final boss.

That means leveling and busting through mobs, with no real resolution, which I think really sucks and is why I slowly stopped playing the game over the years....

But it's in other aspects now, also, I think about, even games with endings, how important is it to finish the game in order to evaluate it? I definitely have had my opinion changed dramatically over the course of an experience, from "this game sucks" to "WOW, I'm so glad I finished that"

One case in point would be Suikoden 3, which I think has probably the slowest and most unassuming beginning of any JRPG, but ends up in the 2nd half being a completely different experience that really challenged all my conceptions about what the experience was about...

I would say the same for Star Ocean 2, which ended up having a vastly bigger scope than what I had originally envisioned...

So I guess really what do you think about endings? Do you care about them? How do you define them? When is a game, ostensibly about which the goal is to "win" or "complete some objective" over?

I certainly don't subscribe to the idea that it's about completionism... in general I prefer to let the game designers themselves speak about the topic, such as when you would get the class "Fin" or literal "the end."

So in FFXIV, which generously included credits, even though it's an MMO, that was clearly the point at which the game concluded, for me, and it also worked in other ways because Minfilia and Co and all the characters had resolutions of a kind, similar to Game of Thrones.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: The importance of endings in video games
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Endings are super important.  It's one of the biggest reasons I don't play F2P garbage.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
When I was younger, a good ending was greatly appreciated, because back then I felt a more emotional connection to video games. Now that I'm a family man, my emotions are spent on managing said family, and video games are more of a break/escape. At this point, I'd be OK with the end of a game being a fade to black with a singular fart sound. What matters to me more now is that the game itself is enjoyable.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
^That's sort of how I always treated endings in games. Heck, when I was a kid, I never really wanted games to end, so I'd try to avoid getting to the end so I could drag it out...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
At this point, I'd be OK with the end of a game being a fade to black with a singular fart sound.

You make laugh. Often.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
I do love a good ending. Yes the journey is important and etcetera but knowing how to finish things is equally important.

Speaking about RPGs, I recently completed the Fallout 4 main quest (which I consider beating the game). It's so... empty. Game barely acknowledges you did something big; just like Skyrim. In Morrowind, NPCs would at least comment about what you had pulled off and stuff. Oh, what about Mass Effect Andromeda? A quick chat with your squadmates and then it's back to the grind, literally. Zero relevance. Just to name a couple of recent games I've played.

New Vegas did it right with a big epilogue and the game effectively ending.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:48:18 PM »
I appreciated games that didn't just go on forever as many pre-NES era games were want to do.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
Well as far as singular farts I'm not necessarily big on over dramatic never ending finishes... but yeah I definitely want a The End moment...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
At this point, I'd be OK with the end of a game being a fade to black with a singular fart sound.

You make laugh. Often.

Still chuckling at the mental image this invokes.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »
The worst sin an ending can make, especially in video games, and yet one video games seem to love making:

Completely invalidating the actions of the player character and/or all other characters, often in the name of spectacle.

*cough*Destiny2*cough*

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »

You make laugh. Often.

I would gladly contribute a sizable amount to a kick starter game for that to happen.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

You make laugh. Often.

I would gladly contribute a sizable amount to a kick starter game for that to happen.

I'd contribute to a kickstarter, an amount equal to a wet fart or thereabouts.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.