Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 01:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334761 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Never Winter Nights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Never Winter Nights  (Read 4188 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2006, 05:09:14 PM »

Was in town today and picked this up(along with City of Villains) and am currently installing, it's the 'deluxe' edition so the two expansions are included. I play the game briefly upon it's launch but under poor circumstances so now I am revisitng this acclaimed RPG by Bioware, any veterans on the Boards?

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:02:58 PM »

Yeah, I still play a few rounds of NWN every now and then.  I never much cared for the original campaign, but Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are both fantastic.

If you don't already know, the Neverwinter Vault is probably the best place you can go to get user-made content.  There's a lot of really good shit to be had there...it just might take a while to find it. :P

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:28:04 PM »

Yeah, thanks for the link. I made a Ranger and a Paladin to play with, didn't do much tinkering as it apparantly isn't reccomended. I must confess I never played D&D so the ruleset is still alient o me. But so far I like it, the game is very 'rich' in envoirnemnt and the lore is fantastic. I'll play it for the next week, but the likelyhood is that Oblivion will be spinning in my drive in a week ro two ^^

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »

I bought it back after the 2nd expansion had just came out. The original campaign I thought was pretty terrible, but the expansions were good, but I never did beat the 2nd expansion. I like how they made it a bit less hack n slash. Icewind Dale and BG2 turned into more of a, lets throw hordes of enemies at you each room, syndrome going on.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »

Well, I play for the lore really, or the general tone of the game. Strangely enough the actual Gameplay isn't high on my list when it comes to games like this. I just enjoy the story and the Role playing.

TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »

Forget the base campaign; it's nothing but fetch quests. Jump straight into Expansion 1 with a new character and enjoy.

After you're done with Expansion 1 and 2, hit up NWVault for new modules. Specifically, slaughter your way through their Hall of Fame for the major series Dreamcatcher etc., maybe the Paladin trilogy, and anything ever made by Stephen Gagne.

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »

Thanks for the tips TSG.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 10:47:06 PM »

Bumping this up since, while it's nearly 3 monthes old... There haven't been enough posts to even make a second /page/ yet. Oh, and we bought the Diamond version.

Playing through the main campaign, despite the fact most people seem to think it sucks compared to the expansion packs (hi Stel), and I think I'm nearing the end of chapter 1. How well do the expansion packs connect to this, or are they their own story that may happen to have a character or two from this game? And any modules you guys would recommand? I'd espically like one with a strong story, but anything that's good will suffice, and the amount of modules on that Vault site is mind blowing. Thanks.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 12:11:20 AM »

The expansions make a few references to the original main quest.  There are a few characters present in places, as well.  But really, you'd get just as much out of it as if you had never played the original quest.

The two expansions DO go together, though.  And they're far better.  In fact, I'd stop right now if I were you and go play them instead. :P

There are tons of shitty modules out there.  Save yourself some time and effort:  start with this.  That's by far my favorite peon-created module.

Make sure you fuck around with  this character maker while you're at it.  Some modules require certain character levels, and that's a damn good way to make sure you qualify.  It's also good to test out a variety of builds.

But most importantly, you'll find you need to be pretty forgiving when it comes to matters of grammar and punctuation in the vast majority of these modules.  That's really the main reason why I largely quit playing random modules. :P

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 12:34:33 AM »

... So I just got Infinite Dungeons on recommendation from a friend and found that my NWN DVD is not in its box, and there is no NOCD patch for a high enough version to run the mod.  I am sad.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 01:42:18 AM »

Well, I'm going to try for finishing at least chapter 1. I want to see if something I think will happen, happens. And... Bleh about improper punctuation/grammar. I'll just have to play and see for myself, as I can shut it out if it's not too horrible.

As for the disc deal: You need the disc to run the game? Maybe it's different from when you're playing a premium module you bought online, but I've installed the game normally and have played it without the disc in the system.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 05:09:56 AM »

Okay, so I just messed around with it some more, and if I use the NWNLoader I need the disc in the drive, but if I use the (non-cracked) NWMain.exe, I do not.  Odd.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »

Been hoarding modules, checking out what looks interesting, what's recommanded (amusingly, I had grabbed one of Stephen Gagne's modules, Hex Coda, before actually /reading/ all of Stel's post), but I haven't touched any - outside of just playing the one DR suggested, anyway. Fuck, that's already an assload more interesting than the main game was.

I beat chapter 1 like I said I would, so I'm probably going to go and start the expansions after beating this module.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: