Author Topic: Help Sollosi! He needs to play Kingdom Hearts 1.

Electricb7

• View Profile
Help Sollosi! He needs to play Kingdom Hearts 1.
« on: September 18, 2017, 03:44:28 AM »
Help Sollosi! He needs to play Kingdom Hearts 1.

I’d like to start by saying Kingdom Hearts 1 is a fantastic game.

Yes it has some issues but the good it does clearly outweighs the bad. The highlights of KH1 are obviously its charm and aesthetics. The plot and characters are simple and clean…Yes I’m that kind of guy.

KH1 tells the simplistic yet charming tale of Sora trying to rescue 2 of his friends. That’s it. Again simple and clean. Along the way you are introduced to Square Soft characters and Disney characters both who will join your party many times throughout the adventure. It gets slightly more interesting but I’m not going to spoil anything. It sounds basic because it is. But what this offers the player is focus and coherency. At no point in the game do you feel confused or overwhelmed. Nice and tidy. Anything else Kingdom Hearts related is another story.

The music is outstanding in its execution on emulating Disney’s magical melodies of the worlds they have built, and does an excellent job of melding with overall sound design including gameplay sound effects from MP and HP orbs being collected to items and spells being used; this game has superb sound design.

During episode 100 of Retro Encounter I was at the edge of my seat.  Hearing the staff go back and forth put a big dumb smile on my face. The premise of episode 100 was an elimination game to determine a future episode subject. Boy did KH put up a fight. I was initially disappointed with KH1 being eliminated during the final acts of the show, but as all hope was lost Michael Sollosi stated that if he heard from enough RPGfans or if there was enough interest he would make KH1 a topic for a retro encounter episode in 2018. He said it himself  “Bug me to play Kingdom Hearts” at 1:24:08

He instructed rpgfan listeners to email him at Sollosi@rpgfan.com  or retro@rpgfan.com. But I thought it would be fun to have a thread about why he should play Kingdom Hearst 1 and discuss what’s not to like about it. Besides gameplay I honestly can’t think of negative aspects of KH1. Or do have my nostalgia goggle on too tight?

Send your emails to one these to get him to play KH1. And if you havent already give episode 100 of Retro Encounter a listen, its fun.

retro@rpgfan.com
Sollosi@rpgfan.com

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Help Sollosi! He needs to play Kingdom Hearts 1.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »
........ :D

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »
 I'm about 70% certain this is Josh making an alternate account.

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »
I am so pleased this topic exists.
"Don’t be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isn’t a demon. She’s a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
I didn't want it on the poll because I thought far more deserving games were in contention. I do however believe we should cover KH at some point

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
I didn't want it on the poll because I thought far more deserving games were in contention. I do however believe we should cover KH at some point

This, for sure.  It's a seminal JRPG that everyone should experience, but having seen the Final 4 in the poll, they're all more deserving.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
...!!!

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »
This is the best thread I've ever seen. Sollosi, play this wonderful game. Don't make me mail you my PS4 copy!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:51:18 AM »
That was so beautiful.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »

It's easily one of the best jrpgs on ps2.
I would like to hears some opinions by the rpgfan staff on why the think it's bad.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:55:40 PM by Electricb7 »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
Not a staffer, but http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/27/kingdom-hearts-sucks-but-it-doesnt-have-to

#nailedit

tl;dr The story is an idiotic garbled incoherent mess and ruins a series that does so many other things right that it feels like a massively wasted opportunity.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
I think he is talking about KH as a whole not KH1. There is nothing confusing story wise in KH1. Everything after the first game is a casserole of nonsense. Yes you can technically try and make sense of it but why on Earth would you put yourself through that hellfire.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
I must have read that Andy Dwyer bit 10 times and I still chuckle.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
I think he is talking about KH as a whole not KH1. There is nothing confusing story wise in KH1. Everything after the first game is a casserole of nonsense. Yes you can technically try and make sense of it but why on Earth would you put yourself through that hellfire.

That actually raises an interesting question.  If the rest of a series is generally known to be sub-par, is it worth it to most people to cherry pick the ones that are considered good/great?  ie. Secret of Mana/Shining Force 2. And yes, KH1 still has a confusing story.  Blame Disney.