• View Profile
Re: Completion List 2018
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
1. Tales of Xillia 2
2. Trails of Cold Steel
3. Ni No Kuni 2

4. Trails of Cold Steel 2

Wow.  Now that's a JRPG.  Whew.

130+ hours of insanely fun, charming characters and gameplay, with a huge playable roster and tons of party-building and customization options, this is pretty close to the perfect game.  It's everything I'm looking for in an RPG, basically.  If I had a complaint it would be that it doesn't particularly respect the player's time, locking an awful lot of story behind pretty huge difficulty spikes.  However, it makes it all the more rewarding when you use the many various tools at your disposal to overcome them.  The game never puts anything that feels impossible in front of you until the very very very very very end, so that's mostly a nitpick.
The story and characters here are superlative as well.  Over the course of two games, the world and cast grow in noticeable and rewarding ways, and the more you explore the world and talk to its inhabitants, the richer and more connected it all feels.  There are some troublesome "too anime" clichés and character treatments (13 year old girls are *not* sex objects, Japan) which really do hurt the final product a bit.  And the inclusion of "magic" and "witches" into the Trails canon homogenizes it a bit in comparison to its peers and tears down the distinct and interesting world built by Sky.  But even when taking into account all of this, it's hard to score this anything lower than a perfect score.  Basically, if Cold Steel 2 is not a 10, nothing is.

Cold Steel 2 (and the entire Cold Steel saga up to this point) is a JRPG tour de force, a magnum opus, a masterwork in the genre that every other studio should aspire to and learn from.  Now where the heck is Cold Steel 3??

Final Score: 10/10

Up Next: 
Wild ARMs Alter Code f
   (Nope, not paying $80 for this disc.)
Final Fantasy VII: A New Threat
-and-
Dragon Quest XI
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:52:38 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Completion List 2018
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
1) Wild Arms 2
2) Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
3) Mario Galaxy 2
4) Suikoden 2
5) Ratchet & Clank Future: A Butt Crack in Time
6) Horizon Zero Dawn
7) Lego City: Undercover
8) DoA 5: Last Round

9) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Credits have rolled. Over 80 hours, and there's still lots of things to do (dragon fights; Deep Roads quests; etc.). I'm personally done with the game for now, though. It has taken up enough of my time, and there's lots of other games I want to play.
I enjoyed it. Good western-style RPG. Some areas were a bit too empty, but fast travel and steeds helped with that.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes