Author Topic: Completion List 2018

The Legendary Zoltan

• Narcissistic Legend
    • View Profile
    • Turn Based Memories
Re: Completion List 2018
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
I'm adding Baten Kaitos Origins to my completion list. It took me 92 hours to finish it. It was pretty good. I'm editing an hour-long review of it right now.
Click HERE for the ONLY JRPG podcast that has an original format.

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 11:47:07 PM »
final fantasy 4 is great. Is it a little outdated yes but if you played it when it first came out like me you were like HOLY HELL. BEST game ever after you played it. For its time it was amazing does it hold the test of time like ff 6 no.

The Legendary Zoltan

• Narcissistic Legend
    • View Profile
    • Turn Based Memories
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 02:00:47 AM »
final fantasy 4 is great. Is it a little outdated yes but if you played it when it first came out like me you were like HOLY HELL. BEST game ever after you played it. For its time it was amazing does it hold the test of time like ff 6 no.

Yeah. I can definitely imagine that it was the greatest thing ever back when it came out. I started at FF6 though. I could probably really get into it if I were to play one of the newer versions. But if you agree that it has aged poorly, does it really count as a great game still?
Click HERE for the ONLY JRPG podcast that has an original format.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
1) Wild Arms 2
2) Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
3) Mario Galaxy 2
4) Suikoden 2
5) Ratchet & Clank Future: A Butt Crack in Time

6) Horizon Zero Dawn - Cleared out the remaining bandit camps, and made a bee line for the end of the story. Got 'er done, and the credits have rolled. Roughly 40 hours played, finished at exactly level 40. I didn't bother with the Frozen Wilds quests/expansion (I bought the gotY version). I'll probably do that when I come back to this for a NG+ sometimes in the future.
Great game. Suffers from a bit of open world sameness and ridiculousness, but that's really a small gripe. In fact, it's the only gripe I really have about the game. Well that, and I would have liked to have seen more Behemoths and the underground diggy robots (obviously I forgot their name) out in the wild...
Anyway, I was very impressed with how beautifully designed the world is. I would find myself stopping for a few moments now and then, just to take in the scenery. I haven't been that impressed with a game world's design since Just Cause 2. I think the game play is great. Stalking and hunting machines while sometimes turning them on each other is just the best. The tables can turn quickly though, and some of the larger/faster machines can literally make you run for the hills. I love it.
Also gotta give big props to the story. For its actual content, and the way it's revealed to the player over the course of the game. Consider me anxious for a sequel.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
Thus far...

1. OFF
2. Chroma Squad
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4. Batman: The Telltale Series
5. Monster Hunter World
6. Batman: The Enemy Within
7. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
9. Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
12. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
13. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

I have two gaming goals for the year.  First, beat at least 10 games on a list of 12 that I posted on my blog:

http://therealmonsoon.blogspot.com/2017/12/gaming-goals-of-2018.html (only 3 out of 12 done so far, yikes)

And second, beat at least 8 Zelda games.  Plan from the beginning was to replay the four Game Boy Color/Advance titles, then replay the A Link to the Past / A Link Between Worlds duo, then play 2 Zelda games that I hadn't played before (Breath of the Wild was the first of these).  I'm already 5 out of 8 on the Zelda quest, and the 8th will probably be Majora's Mask. 

I still think I can finish these two goals lists, but I've already been hamstrung by Monster Hunter World (which dominated my February and March), and playing Super Mario RPG and Lunar 1 and 2 for the podcast.  So yeah that's what I've been up to.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
1. Tales of Xillia 2
2. Trails of Cold Steel

3. Ni No Kuni 2
Although I probably spent more time on this than it deserved (90 hours!) I don't regret a minute!  There were so many fun things to do in this game and I really had a blast all the way around.  Playing around with the different playable characters, recruiting all 100 citizens and getting my Kingdom to max rank, finishing up that adorable and well-presented story; it was all excellent gaming.

The game could certainly be easy at times, especially with story bosses, but it could also be absurdly hard, too.  Dreamer's Mazes and Tainted Monsters could often jack you up even if you were at the proper level or higher.  But figuring out how to win those and doing everything you could to make your characters as OP as possible made winning those battles superbly satisfying.

While the music could be a tad repetitive (ALL MAIN THEME ALL THE TIME) the graphics and art design were just gorgeous.  It's a beautiful game to look at and the amount of unique characters and NPCs that were designed for it is impressive as well.

This won't be lighting up the GOTY awards in 6 months, but I do think it's a game that most RPG Fans would really enjoy.  Come for the design and adorable story, stay for all the tons of extra content!

Final Score: 8/10

Up Next: Trails of Cold Steel 2
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 09:23:37 PM »
I started the beginning of the year by finishing Dragon Quest VII Fragments of the Forgotten Past after a really long hiatus which I purchased all the way back in 2016. I got a bit lost at what to do just before you get the magic carpet and recruit another character. Getting back to it I really started to enjoy the game on my second attempt thanks in large part thanks to the intermediate and advanced classes I unlocked as well as the stories experienced in the new islands. Having finished the game I can say it was a solid entry in the series.

Not the first time I beat these two but I did complete Fire Emblem Fates Revelation and Echoes on classic this time. Turn wheel was a real life saver.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »
1) Doom and Destiny -  stop #1 on my "Xbox360 Retirement Tour" was stupid and rote and most of the jokes were offensive.  Oh well. On to the next one.

2) Shank - Another XBLA game I blew right through.  I'm trying to retire my 360 so that means slogging through shitty, overly violent platformers like this one before I finally play Dark Souls.

so many to add...

3) Guardian Heroes - XBLA
4) Half Life 2 - XBLA
5) Breath of Death VII - XBLA
6) Cthulhu Saves the World - XBLA
7) Sequence - XBLA
8) Panzer Dragoon Orta - Xbox
9) Castlevania Chronicles - Vita

I hadn't updated this in a while.  But I'm nearly to the final dungeon in Tales of Vesperia which means I'm finally and mercifully almost done with my xbox360 farewell tour.  I can't wait to get rid of that loud hunk of junk.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2018, 02:49:56 AM »
1) Doom and Destiny -  stop #1 on my "Xbox360 Retirement Tour" was stupid and rote and most of the jokes were offensive.  Oh well. On to the next one.

2) Shank - Another XBLA game I blew right through.  I'm trying to retire my 360 so that means slogging through shitty, overly violent platformers like this one before I finally play Dark Souls.

3) Guardian Heroes - XBLA
4) Half Life 2 - XBLA
5) Breath of Death VII - XBLA
6) Cthulhu Saves the World - XBLA
7) Sequence - XBLA
8) Panzer Dragoon Orta - Xbox
9) Castlevania Chronicles - Vita

10) Tales of Vesperia - 360 - 57 hours. Great game, 2nd best tales after Eternia. But the real story is that I finally get to chuck my old and busted Xbox 360.   

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 04:17:49 AM »
10) Tales of Vesperia - 360 - 57 hours. Great game, 2nd best tales after Eternia. But the real story is that I finally get to chuck my old and busted Xbox 360.

YES, I am RIGHT there with you! Vesperia and Dead Rising are the only reason I keep the thing, and blessed heavens, I can finally, FINALLY get rid of it! Cost me $700 between initial costs and all the repairs... never again Microsoft: NEVER AGAIN.

I don't really wanna do this, it's gonna raise a LOT of questions... buuuuut for 2018 so far I've got...

1) Persona 5 playthrough 2
2) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
3) Trails of Cold Steel 1 playthrough 2
4) Turok 1 playthrough 3
5) Baldur's Gate 1
6) Dragon Age: Origins playthrough 2
7) Pillars of Eternity 1
8) Pillars of Eternity 2
9) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow playthrough seven-thousand
10) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow playthrough 12-ish
11) Castlevania: Symphony of the night playthrough 3
12) Castlevania: Circle of the Moon playthrough 2
13/14) Dark Souls: Remastered twice (once alone, once co-op, never again)
15) Devil May Cry 3
16) Bayonetta 1
17) DmC: Devil May Cry (trading off per-level with a friend, DLC included)
18) Devil May Cry 4
19/20) Bayonetta 2 (twice, once on normal, once on hard)
21) Tales of Berseria co-op run
22) Tales of the Abyss co-op run
23) Ys I
24) Ys II
25) Kirby's Return to Dreamland 2nd co-op on hard

And I'm sure there's some other things I'm forgetting or lying to myself about...
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
I'll never understand the apparent disdain a lot of people seem to have for the 360. I bought mine new, and it lasted me roughly 10 years, with absolutely zero issues. I personally liked the controller much better than the DS3, and the fact that you could copy entire games and play them straight from the HD was awesome at the time. It was still working like a charm when I sold it to a lady in Kentucky a few months ago. I was actually a bit sad to let it go, but it was time for someone else to enjoy it.

Agreed on ToV, though. Finally played it for the first time last year myself, and loved it.

As for me:

1) Wild Arms 2
3) Mario Galaxy 2
4) Suikoden 2
6)Horizon Zero Dawn

7) Lego City: Undercover - Fun GTA-style Lego game. My son and I had a blast playing through. We finished the story missions a week or so ago, but we are still happily working on unlocking as much stuff as we can.
I want other open world game designers to take a lesson from how this game was designed. LCU's game world itself is rather small, compared to certain behemoths of the genre, but they did it right in packing that smaller world with content. A lot of said "behemoths" will have large, empty spaces in their worlds, apparently for the sake of the respective developers being able to say the game world is "however many times larger than whatever". ...Don't mean shit if it's half empty.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
I'll never understand the apparent disdain a lot of people seem to have for the 360. I bought mine new, and it lasted me roughly 10 years, with absolutely zero issues.

Well lucky you. I personally had bought mine new, and had to get it either replaced or fixed more times than any other console. In fact, the PS3 was the only other one I ever had issues with, even compared to my retro consoles, and that had a disc drive failure once that never came up again once we got it fixed...

While I didn't own the original Xbox, I was aware of the issues it had early on, but assumed Microsoft learned their lesson and would put out a better product. They didn't, and it slowly became more of a headache until I eventually bought the PS3, which all but replaced the 360 as far as my play time was concerned, especially once it started getting consistantly better exclusive games.

For me at least, the 360 represents buyer remorse - a potentially great product screwed over by shoddy quality control early on that ultimately hurt it in the long run. Now I don't even trust Microsoft, especially after all the other products from them that I've bought which they also dropped the ball on. The only reason I still have my Xbox 360 is so I could play a few exclusive games, and now a lot of them aren't really exclusive anymore. I'd hate to think I'll have to get an Xbox One eventually, but from what I've seen...at least I could get one used and there'd be a solid chance it won't just get a Red Ring of Death right when I finally beat that hard as balls boss that I never wanted to fight ever again.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:23:32 PM by Mickeymac92 »

ďMY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!Ē
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
^ I just thought it was way too loud haha

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 03:06:15 AM »
I'll never understand the apparent disdain a lot of people seem to have for the 360. I bought mine new, and it lasted me roughly 10 years, with absolutely zero issues.
Well lucky you. I personally had bought mine new, and had to get it either replaced or fixed more times than any other console.
Right there with you. $400 for the console, $300 for repairs because the stupid thing always broke within weeks of the warranty expiring. I remember the last time it happened was right when they announced the slim. "No really guys, this one won't break!"

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BREAK TO START WITH YOU DING-DONGS.

Then the thing they sent me back must have an extra fan in it or something, because it's so freaking loud it literally -- lit-er-a-lly -- drowns out the sounds of most games on my default volume. I had to borrow (and eventually just wound up keeping, since he didn't want it back) my friend's when I re-played Vesperia last year.

I'm glad you've never had any trouble Frost: I would never wish this crap on anyone. That said, unless Sony really screws it up, PC/Playstation (and I guess Nintendo when they release a not-stupid console) are it for me. Who knows though, Sony has gotten a really fat head the past few months.

Also I guess I should add that I beat DMC3 again on PC this time. I re-bought the HD collection during the Steam sale because my poor PS3 controller is on its last legs. New PS3 controllers are surprisingly expensive at this point, so while I can't afford that, I can drop 20 bucks to spare it more suffering.

- edit -
Adding a few games:

Radiant Histoira: How the hell did I forget this? I guess I just wrote it as an instant classic in my mind despite playing it for the first time with Perfect Chronology. Sod all the new stuff they added: it's Atlus' general approach to re-releases by adding a bunch of inane crap to utterly cock up the original feel and tone. The core game is effing brilliant though, and the type that reminds me why I love JRPGs to begin with.

Shovel Knight: I don't usually go for Mega Man -- nothing against it, just not really my thing. It's a testament to Shovel Knight that I actually finished it, though I'd say a lot of that can be chalked up to frequent check-points and playing it on my 3DS. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting, though the last 3 stages count for over half of my deaths. Good game.

Hotline Miami: Oh my god this was so much fun. I'm so glad I'm an 'anything goes' type of guy, because the violence in this game borders on being so senseless that it'd be hard to justify any other way. The gameplay is just a blast, and surprisingly feels more like a puzzle game than anything else. Already going through it again, just for the thrill.

Shining Resonance: See post.

Kingdom Hearts: This started as something I was doing with a friend, but after the first 5 hours I just let him keep the controller while I played Shovel Knight. 'Dated' is probably the most fair way to describe the gameplay. On the story front, two things really surprise me: First, there's actually very little plot it in the first game, and second, the original characters are far-and-away the best part, both ironically and unironically. I know a huge part of the premise is getting to explore Disney worlds, but since the Disney characters can't grow, develop, change, or do anything to subvert or challenge what you already know from the movies, they wind up incredibly boring. In the end, it's the original characters that do anything relevant or interesting, so their general absence beyond the first and final few hours makes the bulk of the game feel like padding.

We embarked on this adventure to understand the hype this series generates, and after completing the first game, neither of us are any the wiser. Supposedly 2 is a huge improvement, so final judgement remains on hold.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:17:51 PM by Grainofariver »
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
1) Wild Arms 2
3) Mario Galaxy 2
4) Suikoden 2
6) Horizon Zero Dawn
7) Lego City: Undercover

8) DoA 5: Last Round Ė I finished the story mode, and some credits rolled, so I consider the game completed.
All in all, not a bad fighter. What I like is that the game rewards button mashing, which I almost always do when playing 3D fighters, for some reason. I also like that fights actually look like fights, Öalmost like a dance, when there is a good flow going. Tekken seems a bit more clunky, in comparison.
Itís not exactly a secret that all of the women in the game are carrying melons, and Iím OK with that personally, because I LOVE bigguns. However, even I have to admit, the physics are straight up stupid. Itís almost like everyoneís ta-tas canít decide whether they want to obey the laws of gravity or not. Do the developers think boobs are filled with some sort of weightless gel?
Anyway, Iím sure Iíll be enjoying the game for a while, as I unlock costumes through the arcade mode.