• View Profile
Re: Completion List 2018
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
1. Tales of Xillia 2
2. Trails of Cold Steel
3. Ni No Kuni 2

4. Trails of Cold Steel 2

Wow.  Now that's a JRPG.  Whew.

130+ hours of insanely fun, charming characters and gameplay, with a huge playable roster and tons of party-building and customization options, this is pretty close to the perfect game.  It's everything I'm looking for in an RPG, basically.  If I had a complaint it would be that it doesn't particularly respect the player's time, locking an awful lot of story behind pretty huge difficulty spikes.  However, it makes it all the more rewarding when you use the many various tools at your disposal to overcome them.  The game never puts anything that feels impossible in front of you until the very very very very very end, so that's mostly a nitpick.
The story and characters here are superlative as well.  Over the course of two games, the world and cast grow in noticeable and rewarding ways, and the more you explore the world and talk to its inhabitants, the richer and more connected it all feels.  There are some troublesome "too anime" clichés and character treatments (13 year old girls are *not* sex objects, Japan) which really do hurt the final product a bit.  And the inclusion of "magic" and "witches" into the Trails canon homogenizes it a bit in comparison to its peers and tears down the distinct and interesting world built by Sky.  But even when taking into account all of this, it's hard to score this anything lower than a perfect score.  Basically, if Cold Steel 2 is not a 10, nothing is.

Cold Steel 2 (and the entire Cold Steel saga up to this point) is a JRPG tour de force, a magnum opus, a masterwork in the genre that every other studio should aspire to and learn from.  Now where the heck is Cold Steel 3??

Final Score: 10/10

Up Next: 
Wild ARMs Alter Code f
   (Nope, not paying $80 for this disc.)
Final Fantasy VII: A New Threat
-and-
Dragon Quest XI
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:52:38 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
1) Wild Arms 2
2) Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
3) Mario Galaxy 2
4) Suikoden 2
5) Ratchet & Clank Future: A Butt Crack in Time
6) Horizon Zero Dawn
7) Lego City: Undercover
8) DoA 5: Last Round

9) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Credits have rolled. Over 80 hours, and there's still lots of things to do (dragon fights; Deep Roads quests; etc.). I'm personally done with the game for now, though. It has taken up enough of my time, and there's lots of other games I want to play.
I enjoyed it. Good western-style RPG. Some areas were a bit too empty, but fast travel and steeds helped with that.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 04:10:28 AM »
Beat Shining Force Resurrection of the Dark Dragon this weekend. Loved it. It struck a nice balance between being a faithful remake and modernizing game mechanics(i.e. splitting items and weapons). My favourite aspects of the game were clear bonuses,  Max now getting offensive spells like other series heroes, two secret characters you can get earlier than in the original and the new characters especially Narsha's spell list. As a con it did come off as easier than the original but it didn't bug me too much and I usually don't venture into new game plus. Lastly I'm a little indifferent towards the fact Max talks in this remake. 

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »
I finished Mega Man 11 over the weekend. So I guess that brings my completion list up to two games this year, which I think is actually better than last year.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2018, 05:15:28 PM »
1) Doom and Destiny -  stop #1 on my "Xbox360 Retirement Tour" was stupid and rote and most of the jokes were offensive.  Oh well. On to the next one.
2) Shank - Another XBLA game I blew right through.  I'm trying to retire my 360 so that means slogging through shitty, overly violent platformers like this one before I finally play Dark Souls.
3) Guardian Heroes - XBLA
4) Half Life 2 - XBLA
5) Breath of Death VII - XBLA
6) Cthulhu Saves the World - XBLA
7) Sequence - XBLA
8) Panzer Dragoon Orta - Xbox
9) Castlevania Chronicles - Vita
10) Tales of Vesperia - 360 - 57 hours. Great game, 2nd best tales after Eternia. But the real story is that I finally get to chuck my old and busted Xbox 360.
old^
new
11) Gravity Rush - a competent game in a fascinating setting.  Wasn't everything it could have been but definitely gets high marks for taking some chances.
12) Skies of Arcadia - 59 hours.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game.  Though I don't really have anything to say about it that hasn't been said ad nauseum before (great setting, fantastic cast, loads to discover, but way too many goddamn random battles,even with the white map. when all you want to do is explore...)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 05:17:03 PM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
Beat The Banner Saga just a few moments ago. It was a really solid strategy rpg and most of the game elements were a great change of pace for the genre. I had a blast using many of the different characters especially there abilities. It was quite a journey traveling through the grim world you're placed in and there was a plethora of hard choices I had to make .I'll be sure to check out the sequels when they go on sale.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
1. Tales of Xillia 2
2. Trails of Cold Steel
3. Ni No Kuni 2
4. Trails of Cold Steel 2

5. Valkyria Chronicles 4

This is slow-going, but I'm basically finished with it.  It's pretty much the perfect sequel to VC1 and the story is actually better than I expected.  There are some "morally gray" themes that actually aren't completely mishandled, which is nice for an "anime" RPG.

I have to admit that the Valkyria formula of throwing greater and greater odds at you for you to overcome really stresses me out, but it does feel good when you finally overcome them.  It's just tough starting another battle after finishing one.

Valkyria 4 does an excellent job of balancing its new class, Grenadiers, even though at times it does feel like they're a little overpowered.  However, rarely does it ever feel like it's balanced against the player.  Once you learn to think around Grenadiers, they're almost always an advantage for you.  I just made sure I prioritized the killing of all enemy Grenadiers as soon as possible, heh.

One thing that VC4 really does better than VC1 is in its Squaddies.  The recruitable characters here ALL have their own (optional) story chapters that you unlock by using them in battle.  It's something VC1 was begging for, since it had such interesting and well designed "generic" units.  So to see VC4 really step up to the plate in this area was fantastic.

I don't have many real complaints with the game.  One is that the interface is still stuck in 2007, like the original.  The other is that the "true" ending is locked behind beating the final boss on Hard mode, which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.  Other than that, this is about as perfect as VC1!

FINAL SCORE:
9/10

Up Next: Octopath Traveler?

Note: I meant to post this here and instead posted it in the Game Journal thread. Sorry.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 11:56:14 PM »
Did a few replays these past few weeks.

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: Did a Mudkip run and the mega-evolution did not disappoint.

The Legend of Zelda a Link Between Worlds: Second time beating this spiritual sequel to a Link to the Past. When I arrived at Lorule I did the water dungeon first in order to get the much coveted blue mail. Other than that it was mostly a standard playthrough.

Portal 2: Beat this for the third time. Still my favourite puzzle game.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »
1) Wild Arms 2
2) Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
3) Mario Galaxy 2
4) Suikoden 2
5) Ratchet & Clank Future: A Butt Crack in Time
6) Horizon Zero Dawn
7) Lego City: Undercover
8) DoA 5: Last Round
9) Dragon Age: Inquisition

10) Tales o' Berseria - Finished at roughly 65 hours. Completed most of the sidequests and minigames (I still have no idea how Character Cards works, but I beat all of the players).. Played on Moderate difficulty almost the whole time.
I enjoyed the dark twist on the story, but Velvet's angst felt a bit forced at times. Especially early in the game (although that may be because I got used to it over time). The mid-game lull where you are looking for earthpulse points felt a bit dragged out, and fetchy/backtracky. However, things really picked up upon the return to Velvet's hometown. The characters are likeable enough. None of them really stood out, but none of them annoyed me, either. I enjoyed the camaraderie.
I liked the battle system for most of the game. Very fluid, but Graces f is still my hero in that department. I say "most of the game", because I honestly got a bit tired of Braseria's battling after a certain point. I'll admit for the last 15% of the game or so, I let the AI handle most non-boss fights. It seemed to do a much better job that my button-mashing ass ever could anyway. Fun to watch.
In the end, I feel it's a good Tales game. I enjoyed it, but it felt a little too long to me. Mainly because of said mid-game lull. I don't consider it a landmark entry, but I enjoyed it more than Xillia and Graces f (aside from the latter's battle system, of course).

11) Ratchet & Clank [PS4] - Like every other Ratchet game I've played: Fun as hell; way too short. This is the closest they've gotten to the "like playing a Pixar movie" claim.

Gotta try for a 1 game/month average.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
Gotta try for a 1 game/month average.

That's the dream!  Although with my only exclusively playing long RPGs, finishing one every two months is hardly doable.  Maybe at the end of December I'll list my "half-finished" games at the bottom of my completion list here.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
Beat Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the umpteenth time. Still my favourite game of all time.