Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
RPG Fan Decides My Next Game
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »
Link to a straw poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/14857572

There are 13 choices.  Whichever game is in the lead after I finish Xillia 2 will be my next game.  Convince me of your selection in the comments!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Fan Decides My Next Game
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »
Question: Have you played any of these games before?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
Played 30 minutes of Suikoden, 15-20 hours of Resonance of Fate, all of Mass Effect 1 (a million years ago), and demos of WoFF and Bravely Default.  All the others I haven't touched.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »
Star Ocean IV? Are you just checking to see if anyone here hates you?

I'll say Trails of Cold Steel, since you're still fresh off those hefty TitS...      games.
Unless you feel you need a break from the universe. Then Undertale, because it'd be a bit of a departure.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »
Hmm, okay. So if you had never played Mass Effect, I would have voted for that no question. Because...well, it's Mass Effect. It may be the messiest of the trilogy, but it's still the starting point for an amazing story and cast of characters that will forever be near and dear to my heart. Having said that, I still wanted to vote for it, because...well, it's Mass Effect. I've actually been hankering to do a series replay myself, but dammit my backlog is just too big.

Anyway, I ended up voting for Trails of Cold Steel since you haven't played that yet. There's a caveat, though: it doesn't have to be right after Cold Steel since that might wear you out a little, but at some point later this year, you need to play Cold Steel II. I love the first Cold Steel, but in true Trails fashion it lays the groundwork for the real meat of the story, which is Cold Steel II (and now III but it'll be a while before we get that one). There are some serious "holy shit, that was the most epic thing to ever epic" moments the likes of which I haven't experienced in a good long while.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:30:40 PM by Lian_Kazairl »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
I'm voting for World of Final Fantasy just to hear somebody have an actual take on this, even if our interests don't necessarily align that often.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
@Frostillicus - yes.  Yes I am.  And you'll notice SO4 has 1 vote, while all-time classics Finding Paradise and Rune Factory 4 have none. :P

@Lian_Kazairl - I bought the entire Mass Effect trilogy for $5 I think summer of last year.  But I played ME1 on 360 ages ago, so I'm actually excited to play through it again on PS3 all the way to its divisive conclusion.

@Aeolus - have you not played WoFF?

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
Oh wait, so you've only played the first Mass Effect? Shit, I may have to change my vote. Because as much as I love Cold Steel, a full Mass Effect trilogy playthrough is some seriously good times.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
If you can figure out how to change your vote, feel free.  Heh...  '^__^

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »

I voted for it.
I mean, if he wants to play it, he should do it before anything else on that list because it will seem even shittier after playing a good game.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »

I voted for it.
I mean, if he wants to play it, he should do it before anything else on that list because it will seem even shittier after playing a good game.

Can't argue with that.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
I voted, but I'm not telling you what I voted for.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
I voted, but I'm not telling you what I voted for.

I now refuse to play any of them, just to spite you.  Joke's on you.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »
I'm voting for World of Final Fantasy just to hear somebody have an actual take on this, even if our interests don't necessarily align that often.

Its fun and a very competent monster raising game. They did make a mistake with making the FF characters a special attack instead of a 3rd party member. Also Digimon Cybersleuth is just a tad better.

Voted Trails of Cold Steel because its an all-time great. Its long as hell though and you'll probably go directly into CS2 after finishing it. So your next 160hrs of gaming are probably set.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
Voted Trails of Cold Steel because its an all-time great. Its long as hell though and you'll probably go directly into CS2 after finishing it. So your next 160hrs of gaming are probably set.

I'm perfectly ok with that.  Trails is my second favorite RPG franchise.